Let's blow YS up.

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

Let's blow YS up.

Post by Iceman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:07 pm

So, while discussing with my squad about YS, I realized that we really need to launch a campaign to publicize YS. So, I'm going to open the floor to YSHQ's dedicated members, and see if we can come up with something.

I want to begin planning a campaign immediately with a few basic steps. But it's a matter of hitting the right places with advertisement for YSFlight, so that people who are interested can find our links easily.

Any suggestions?
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax

Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

Re: Let's blow YS up.

Post by Fariiniq » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm

That's great! hmmm.. a difficult question.

Well here's some quick thoughts. I guess there's two sectors to it. To increase YS downloading and encouraging to get online and learn.

The first could be partly accomplished perhaps by asking some known sites to publish a review of the simulator. Of course good old fashioned precise advertising is really effective.

The second sector in my opinion is ever more important. Perhaps there should simply be a very simple neat central site (with a good domain), where there would be all you need. Starting from links (eg. to here) and downloading YSFlight; to a good collection of tutorials and a huge knowledge base. All you'd want to know about the simulator and the online communities for newbies, longstanding pilots and anywhere between. Everything a click away. YSFLIGHT CENTER? :ugeek: That would be something to advertise :lol: We could assemble a workgroup to create the site. *visions run trough my head*

JUST REMEMBERED: A well designed and written e-magazine would not only help current semi-active users keep up to date on things, give a good image, but attract possibly new pilots.
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 am

I'm sure if people of the international air show world knew what we were about and what we can do here, they could be a great way to get the news out. I've heard something about demo teams being interested in us :P .
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 am

Get a physical magazine to review YSF and we'll definitely be up a few members.

It'll be an interesting article as well seeing as there aren't many games that have been getting updates for ~10 years.
Royal Australian Air Force
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

Kynan

Post by Kynan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:34 am

Evin if it gets a shitty review it would still get people in. Smart idea

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:24 am

I'll add my 20 dollars tomorrow (more than 2 cents). Just wait till I type up something for this.

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:16 pm

To note, other simulator websites have links to YS.

I found It via Simviation (MSF 98-X).

About a YSF Centre, with all the links, doesn't ysflight.com count?

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Fariiniq wrote: The second sector in my opinion is ever more important. Perhaps there should simply be a very simple neat central site (with a good domain), where there would be all you need. Starting from links (eg. to here) and downloading YSFlight; to a good collection of tutorials and a huge knowledge base. All you'd want to know about the simulator and the online communities for newbies, longstanding pilots and anywhere between. Everything a click away. YSFLIGHT CENTER? :ugeek: That would be something to advertise :lol: We could assemble a workgroup to create the site. *visions run trough my head*
YSHQ is this YSFlight centre.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Either way, from one you can get everywhere. If YSF is advertised, advertise YSFHQ.

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Here are my suggestions. I had this conversation with some of my guys the other day.

We need a central hub, something colorful in sense, with a lot of screenshots and community involvement involving events and the latest releases, etc. There needs to be a front page to YSHQ. Also, YSFlight needs to be standarized. I dislike the newer versions that have been out because they don't give the same feel and I dislike the shading aspect of it. It's to dark, and there are still bugs in the new version. My favorite version and the one I use is 20090611, its stable, all the aircraft and whatnot work on it fine. We shouldn't be having version conflicts or anything like that. It's making the average person who's wanting to play the game have to do intense research to actually figure out how to get online or play the game without issues. This is a problem and turns people away, FAST. From a personal knowledge I downloaded FreeFalcon and played it about twice then left away from it because there was nothing to help me, it was to complicated, and I needed all these patches I didn't know how to install to pull it off. I ultimately removed it from my computer soon after.

For those who don't know, and if you want "testimonials", I can get them for proof. There are demonstration teams out there who know about us. And I know first hand that they are interested in it, because I have had series of messages, phone calls, etc from many of the USAF demo guys wanting to know how to download it and take part in a virtual air show. You've got REAL people out there interested, but I can't even give them a solid answer for anything because everything here is so messed up. Even after years in the airshow industry I'm still amazed by the interest...they fly the real thing!

This is why YSAS is making a standards guideline to make it easy for anybody to come and attend and take part. I recommend YSHQ does this as well with verison 20090611 and this will SEVERELY GROW your community. Basically have a front page, blog like to post updates daily (I can be more than happy to do that) of aircraft released, updates on things, events, yada yada. To have a good community you have to have an active community.

This will EXTREMELY appeal to people out there and I will guarentee you that it will work. Within the site you can have a "Download" page to a certain version. Now, Mr. Yamakawa can continue to produce YSFlight and upgrade it, and I wish that he would as we can test it for him and move forward, however if we have a big change on the versions and continue the advances in YSFlight, but I recommend we stay with version 20090611 as long as we possibly can. Changes are great, but here that isn't nessesarily a good thing, especially after what all has happened with the bugs and whatnot.

Worried about the marketing? I've got it covered. I have contacts with abunch of global flight sim guys and others to get us out there...not only to interested flight sim people but also the general public. I have a contact who runs "10 minute taxi" on YouTube, it's highly watched and features a radio type like show about all the happenings in the world of virtual flight. I can defiantly get some peices in for that...however FIRST we need that front page, YSFlight Center like what you guys have been talking about. Also, as an air show announcer, (Yes, I do that) with being able to broadcast to tens of thousands of people, I would be happy to throw some tie ins to the attendance to YSHFQ and about this free simulator.

STANDARIZE IT, MARKET IT, SUCCESS

Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

Post by Fariiniq » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Here are my suggestions. I had this conversation with some of my guys the other day.

We need a central hub, something colorful in sense, with a lot of screenshots and community involvement involving events and the latest releases, etc. There needs to be a front page to YSHQ. Also, YSFlight needs to be standarized. I dislike the newer versions that have been out because they don't give the same feel and I dislike the shading aspect of it. It's to dark, and there are still bugs in the new version. My favorite version and the one I use is 20090611, its stable, all the aircraft and whatnot work on it fine. We shouldn't be having version conflicts or anything like that. It's making the average person who's wanting to play the game have to do intense research to actually figure out how to get online or play the game without issues. This is a problem and turns people away, FAST. From a personal knowledge I downloaded FreeFalcon and played it about twice then left away from it because there was nothing to help me, it was to complicated, and I needed all these patches I didn't know how to install to pull it off. I ultimately removed it from my computer soon after.

For those who don't know, and if you want "testimonials", I can get them for proof. There are demonstration teams out there who know about us. And I know first hand that they are interested in it, because I have had series of messages, phone calls, etc from many of the USAF demo guys wanting to know how to download it and take part in a virtual air show. You've got REAL people out there interested, but I can't even give them a solid answer for anything because everything here is so messed up. Even after years in the airshow industry I'm still amazed by the interest...they fly the real thing!

This is why YSAS is making a standards guideline to make it easy for anybody to come and attend and take part. I recommend YSHQ does this as well with verison 20090611 and this will SEVERELY GROW your community. Basically have a front page, blog like to post updates daily (I can be more than happy to do that) of aircraft released, updates on things, events, yada yada. To have a good community you have to have an active community.

This will EXTREMELY appeal to people out there and I will guarentee you that it will work. Within the site you can have a "Download" page to a certain version. Now, Mr. Yamakawa can continue to produce YSFlight and upgrade it, and I wish that he would as we can test it for him and move forward, however if we have a big change on the versions and continue the advances in YSFlight, but I recommend we stay with version 20090611 as long as we possibly can. Changes are great, but here that isn't nessesarily a good thing, especially after what all has happened with the bugs and whatnot.

Worried about the marketing? I've got it covered. I have contacts with abunch of global flight sim guys and others to get us out there...not only to interested flight sim people but also the general public. I have a contact who runs "10 minute taxi" on YouTube, it's highly watched and features a radio type like show about all the happenings in the world of virtual flight. I can defiantly get some peices in for that...however FIRST we need that front page, YSFlight Center like what you guys have been talking about. Also, as an air show announcer, (Yes, I do that) with being able to broadcast to tens of thousands of people, I would be happy to throw some tie ins to the attendance to YSHFQ and about this free simulator.

STANDARIZE IT, MARKET IT, SUCCESS
Exactly. A new player should be able to get involved and learn without years of research..
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:54 pm

What about those who have not got the version you recommended?

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A Raptor

Post by Vic Viper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Phoenix wrote:To note, other simulator websites have links to YS.

I found It via Simviation (MSF 98-X).

About a YSF Centre, with all the links, doesn't ysflight.com count?
I think Phoenix makes a good point here. I'm not sure if it was the same link, but I found YS while searching for FS9 addons at simviation. I believe the post was a modified version of YS showcasing the YF-23. I got hooked, then while searching for YS addons I found YSP and joined.

We should (especially the older ones) look back on how we found YS, and explore those options. Presenting YSF on other sim sites, where allowed, might be a good idea.

Of course there is google bombing, but I'm sure that's not the best idea. :|
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 am

I think a really major thing too is somewhat of a starter pack - a lot of people are turned off by the aircraft that comes with YSF (no offence to Soji).
If we could convince him to have perhaps 100+ of the more popular and high detail aircraft included in a secondary YSF download then more people would enjoy it imo.

On the site you'd have:

Stable Version:
20110207 (Starter)
20110207 (Basic)
Test Version:
201xxxxx

Also, I think if someone created a proper mod installer we'd keep even more people.
It could be a basic interface, you open the .rar / .zip file with it or something, it reads the .lst files and place the files and .lst's (dependng on whether they have gro*, air* or sce* at the front) where they're required to go.
Royal Australian Air Force
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 pm

If we are agreed that YSFHQ shall truly fulfil its name, then I that the 'starter pack' should be placed on this site. One question is left I suppose...

When do we start?

Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Iceman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm

The front page is in the works.

The film contest will put us up on Youtube.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Can I help in any way?

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Phoenix wrote:Can I help in any way?
Make some planes, make some scenery, tell your friends, put quality videos on YouTube, pass the word around...

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Will do!

Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Iceman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 pm

And if you're on another flight sim forum, post up...