Server Problems With a Mac

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
CharleyHotel

Server Problems With a Mac

Post by CharleyHotel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 am

It seems a lot slower getting online for me on a Mac. Is this a correct assumption? Either way, how do I fix it?

Shutter

Re: Server Problems With a Mac

Post by Shutter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 am

Run windows or linux. :lol:

But seriously I don't see anything that has changed here that would affect that. I don't think I can help you, but if there's someone who can, you should be more specific about your problem. Is it just the site, or in general? If it's in general this isn't really the place to put it, we are not a tech support forum. ;)

CharleyHotel

Post by CharleyHotel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 am

i'm talking ys servers. that's why i thought it was relevant.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 am

How much time it takes for you to log into a server is entirely related to how many .lst's you have to load from the server and how laggy that server is.

I recommend having two different ys folders: one with all your planes, and one with only those you really need that will load quickly. This is more or less standard practice among those who often fly online.

Martin-Dutchie
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-20A Tigershark

Post by Martin-Dutchie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:52 am

Shutter, If I'm right that doesn't matter, except for loading the game for the first time. Using a full install and connect to a server won't take any longer, because that depends on the server you're connecting to. Opgame for example is fast because it only uses stock, while mine takes longer because of all the addon planes. My theory is that it sends a list of all the planes and the most important .dat info. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Martin-Dutchie wrote:Shutter, If I'm right that doesn't matter, except for loading the game for the first time. Using a full install and connect to a server won't take any longer, because that depends on the server you're connecting to. Opgame for example is fast because it only uses stock, while mine takes longer because of all the addon planes. My theory is that it sends a list of all the planes and the most important .dat info. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You misunderstood me. That's precisely what I'm saying. The more lst's you have, the longer it takes to load. This is of course, assuming the server has them also.

Rule of thumb: When you get on a server, if it has a lot of planes it takes longer. If you've been downloading lots of addons then you have the planes it does. If you have a light install, you won't have to check with the server for so long what planes you have.

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 pm

I wanted chunt to post this because this is a problem even I don't understand. We meet for trainings and often waste half of the time trying to find a server that we both can connect to. Even if this involves using the thursday night flights server but it still seems to take a bit longer or a lot longer for him to logon to any server. We tried using servers like opgame and still had the same problem. It took about 5 minutes to log in to a stock plane and map server.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 am

I'm assuming most servers run windows or linux. Perhaps the connection a mac has to these is not so great. Or maybe you just have a slow internet connection.

You can always email soji about it, but honestly right now I'm sure he cares a great deal more about the Japanese situation than does about what ys issues might come up.