Conversation with Soji - Results

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Varren

Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:33 pm

As some of you may know I've been talking to Soji recently through skype and email. I put up a post on the YSFHQ Facebook page sometime in September asking what you would like to see in YS. I gave these ideas to Soji - and here's the result. (These may be edited in the coming weeks)

Netcode Documentation release (Requested by Flake): At the moment it does not exist, "Netcode (protocol?) documentation actually doesn't exist." but Soji said "I guess I should do it some time." So there is still hope yet.

Better weather mechanics: Rain, snow ect. "might be a bit of a challenge" but he says there shouldn't be any problems with random wind and visibility changes.

Air to Air Refueling: Not possible at the moment due to a 2D window. "Might add some visual aid" so you could actually do it.

Vehicles that can be loaded into Cargo Planes: Not possible until after the next release.

Plane Health Bar : "Easy to implement, maybe I'll make it an option, then."

What Soji's thinking of adding : Smart AI, forgetful ATC Controller, Propeller pitch control, Landing Gear failures,

Soji asked if you would like to see smart AI? He is currently studying Machine Learning and he thinks it would be interesting to be able to train your own AI.

Last but not least, Soji said he's currently working on restructuring the YSFLIGHT Program to support iOS, aka one day there will be an YSFLIGHT iOS app.

PS. This was really shortened as I received a fairly lengthy email and I know most folks here wouldn't want to read originally what I had planned ;)
Last edited by Varren on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 am
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM
Location: Somewhere in Asia
OS: Windows 10
Has thanked: 833 times
Been thanked: 192 times
Contact:

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by iqmal_97 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:39 pm

You lucky bastard. *no offence* :lol:

This is awesome. Glad to hear he's accepting feedbacks. And heck yes, I'd support the smart AI stuff.
Image
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Varren

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 pm

iqmal_97 wrote:You lucky bastard. *no offence* :lol:

One of the perks of the job :D

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am
Favorite Aircraft: 767
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Maroon 5 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Ummm... next time you talk to him, can you please ask him about changing the F12 chat key on Linux Server Console to an alphanumeric key so I can chat? And maybe ask him about the possibility of integrating a service similar to teamspeak.
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

Varren

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Maroon 5 wrote:Ummm... next time you talk to him, can you please ask him about changing the F12 chat key on Linux Server Console to an alphanumeric key so I can chat? And maybe ask him about the possibility of integrating a service similar to teamspeak.

I'm sure he won't change something that works for everyone else just because it won't work for you. Also Teamspeak is there, why would you possibly need an in-game voice chat? Too much work for something that just isn't needed.

User avatar
Lazer
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:27 am
Favorite Aircraft: C-17 Globemaster III
Location: Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Lazer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Yeah if there is already TS, what is the point of Soji wasting his time while he could be implementing cooler stuff? But, maybe the chat key should be changed for Linux users.

And Air-Air Refueling would be epic; so would the cargo interaction.
Image

Varren

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Lazer wrote:Yeah if there is already TS, what is the point of Soji wasting his time while he could be implementing cooler stuff? But, maybe the chat key should be changed for Linux users.

And Air-Air Refueling would be epic; so would the cargo interaction.

It works fine for linux users, I am one. Its just a problem he's having.

User avatar
Lazer
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:27 am
Favorite Aircraft: C-17 Globemaster III
Location: Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Lazer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Varren wrote: It works fine for linux users, I am one. Its just a problem he's having.

Strange. Alright then
Image

User avatar
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 pm
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird
Location: Eastern United States
OS: Mac OSX
Has thanked: 683 times
Been thanked: 1462 times
Contact:

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by decaff_42 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 am

Varren wrote: Better weather mechanics: Rain, snow ect. "might be a bit of a challenge" but he says there shouldn't be any problems with random wind and visibility changes.

Air to Air Refueling: Not possible at the moment due to a 2D window. "Might add some visual aid" so you could actually do it.

Vehicles that can be loaded into Cargo Planes: Not possible until after the next release.

Soji asked if you would like to see smart AI? He is currently studying Machine Learning and he thinks it would be interesting to be able to train your own AI.
All good news!
Perhaps a filming replay mode that hides the on screen text/ HUD/ radar/ menus?

I think we should assemble a top 3 or 5 list of things ppl would like to see (1 or 2 votes per person). We should talk to our korean friends and anyone else (or communities) who we can network to who could give some input.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am
Favorite Aircraft: 767
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Maroon 5 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 am

It's just that I use a VPS somewhere in Oklahoma, and the F12 key won't send. acf492 has the same problem too. What i'm thinking is maybe he could add an entry to the config file to allow changing of the chat key in console.

About the TS, the reason I brought that up is because on his site it says using YS with a voice chat program can cause windows to crash. Does it really cause lag?

And how much will that feature blow our minds? As much as a hand grenade, or nuclear bomb?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

User avatar
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 am
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B
Location: IND
OS: Windows
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:50 am

While this may not be of any care for anyone else, being able to somehow get rid of the "distance lag" in online formation flying would really be a game changer. It just needs to send inputs/position more quickly than it does now...right? (I know nothing about coding...).

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Image

star
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 am
Favorite Aircraft: F-15C

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by star » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:59 am

I have a couple of suggestions for future questions:

1.) Can you (finally) make YS Flight open source? Progress in certain areas would increase ten fold, since it takes Soji seemingly forever to make even the smallest update.

2.) Can you allow us to press keys during automated (demo) dogfights/acrobatics? I have no idea why this limitation has remained for so long, it seems like it'd be relatively easy to fix.

User avatar
TB1
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 am
Favorite Aircraft: 202 SQ RAF Sea King
Location: VATSIM.
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by TB1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 am

Varren wrote:
PS. There is a major awesome thing that I won't be telling anyone about until I have permission from Soji. It's beyond your wildest dreams (trust me). Also this was really shortened as I received a fairly lengthy email and I know most folks here wouldn't want to read originally what I had planned ;)
As a fellow marketing team member, your boss in HAVA and your co-founder in UKAA, you're TELLING ME NOW.
Image

[tb1]123[/tb1]

Varren

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 am

TB1 wrote:
Varren wrote:
PS. There is a major awesome thing that I won't be telling anyone about until I have permission from Soji. It's beyond your wildest dreams (trust me). Also this was really shortened as I received a fairly lengthy email and I know most folks here wouldn't want to read originally what I had planned ;)
As a fellow marketing team member, your boss in HAVA and your co-founder in UKAA, you're TELLING ME NOW.

Nope.

User avatar
Lazer
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:27 am
Favorite Aircraft: C-17 Globemaster III
Location: Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Lazer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 pm

You better watch it, he's your boss.
Image

User avatar
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Posts: 2597
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:22 pm
Favorite Aircraft: F-16
Has thanked: 240 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Crazypilot » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Scarecrow wrote:While this may not be of any care for anyone else, being able to somehow get rid of the "distance lag" in online formation flying would really be a game changer. It just needs to send inputs/position more quickly than it does now...right? (I know nothing about coding...).
The post in the quote, I fully agree with it. I hate it when I'm formation flying with 4 or 5 other people and all of a sudden I lag jump and notice I'm almost half a mile behind them. Then by the time I catch up with them, I lag jump with them again. Now I'm no expert but I'm guessing it has something to do with the way YS receives 'packets' as Flake called them.

User avatar
TB1
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 am
Favorite Aircraft: 202 SQ RAF Sea King
Location: VATSIM.
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by TB1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Varren wrote:
Nope.
BRO.
Image

[tb1]123[/tb1]

User avatar
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A
Location: Australia
OS: Windows 10 (x64)
Has thanked: 838 times
Been thanked: 1247 times
Contact:

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Flake » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:44 pm

With proper netcode documentation, we can really make YSFlight a lot more powerful. That's why my proxy server is on hold atm. The Flight Data Packet is really confusing to decode!

Varren, great work! This is a phenominal effort! :D

-- Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:48 am --

EDIT: PLEASEEEEE Keep me informed about the netcode stuff. even if he can release the flight data packet info that'd be a huge advantage. MOST of everything else is worked out. (but a complete netcode documentation would be best)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Varren

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

OfficerFlake wrote:With proper netcode documentation, we can really make YSFlight a lot more powerful. That's why my proxy server is on hold atm. The Flight Data Packet is really confusing to decode!

Varren, great work! This is a phenominal effort! :D

-- Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:48 am --

EDIT: PLEASEEEEE Keep me informed about the netcode stuff. even if he can release the flight data packet info that'd be a huge advantage. MOST of everything else is worked out. (but a complete netcode documentation would be best)

Thank you, this topic will update in the coming weeks as it says with more info. Stuff like if and when you'll be able to see these features in a version of YSFlight. Or in your case, when the netcode documentation will be made.

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am
Favorite Aircraft: 767
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Maroon 5 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 pm

I've noticed how people take stuff for granted and don't realize how much effort goes into game programming. Soji uses C++ to program YS Flight, and after downloading XNA game studio for C++ and C#, I quit after about 3 minutes into reading Microsoft's tutorial about creating a 2D "asteroids" game.

It would be awesome, however, if we could have a group chat thing with Soji once a month or something. Gotta ask him bout that.

Anyways, thanks to Varren for the updates.

BTW, is the mind blowing feature already offered in FSX?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests