Conversation with Soji - Results

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Varren

Re: Conversation with Soji - Results

Post by Varren » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Maroon 5 wrote: It would be awesome, however, if we could have a group chat thing with Soji once a month or something. Gotta ask him bout that.

He honestly very rarely has some free time. He's always out and about, always. Every time I talk with him he'll come up with an excuse for replying a couple days after I sent the message or email. He's always at airshows, learning ... so I'm pretty honored to be able to even speak to him. Maybe we can get him on Teamspeak just once for a moderated Question and Answers session - but I highly doubt it.

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Maroon 5 wrote:I've noticed how people take stuff for granted and don't realize how much effort goes into game programming. Soji uses C++ to program YS Flight, and after downloading XNA game studio for C++ and C#, I quit after about 3 minutes into reading Microsoft's tutorial about creating a 2D "asteroids" game.
I agree with this 100%. Actually that applies for any programming, period. Having just completed a programming language course last academic year (2011-2012), I can definitely understand the complexity of code he would have for the entire YSFS engine, must be hundreds, if not thousands, of lines long. And in C++! I had to do some programming in it, I didn't like it as much as Java or C#. If I'm going to be going deeper into C++, I'd rather take the help of someone like Mr. Yamakawa.

Back on topic, it seems like he's been doing some "interesting" stuff behind the scenes, especially as varren has mentioned a certain "awesome" thing. I'm sure we'll be floored, as Soji has just kept on with amazing improvements to the sim.
Hi! I make average, undesirable, boring grey maps for YS Flight!

Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
Turbofan's Terminal updated! New information on home page and WIP for 2020! Check it out!
-----------------------
My two cents:
Most over-used phrase of 2020: "New normal". Can we stop with that already? Pandemics do not last forever, and things will eventually go back to normal.

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:39 am

Varren wrote:
Maroon 5 wrote: It would be awesome, however, if we could have a group chat thing with Soji once a month or something. Gotta ask him bout that.

He honestly very rarely has some free time. He's always out and about, always. Every time I talk with him he'll come up with an excuse for replying a couple days after I sent the message or email. He's always at airshows, learning ... so I'm pretty honored to be able to even speak to him. Maybe we can get him on Teamspeak just once for a moderated Question and Answers session - but I highly doubt it.
If we can ever make ModCon happen, I think it would be awesome to have him as a "keynote speaker".
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload

Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Crazypilot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:52 am

Maroon 5 wrote:Anyways, thanks to Varren for the updates.

BTW, is the mind blowing feature already offered in FSX?
If it isn't, it's probably related to vehicles.

Varren

Post by Varren » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Crazypilot wrote:
Maroon 5 wrote:Anyways, thanks to Varren for the updates.

BTW, is the mind blowing feature already offered in FSX?
If it isn't, it's probably related to vehicles.

It has nothing to do with vehicles and FSX doesent have it.

-- Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:43 pm --
wingzfan99 wrote:
Varren wrote:

If we can ever make ModCon happen, I think it would be awesome to have him as a "keynote speaker".

That would be awesome but again - I doubt it will happen.

-- Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:19 pm --

Uber awesome thing added.
Varren wrote: Last but not least, Soji said he's currently working on restructuring the YSFLIGHT Program to support iOS, aka one day there will be an YSFLIGHT iOS app.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Ok here is my 2 cent guess ATCAI no has a voice?
Image[/align=centre]

Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Crazypilot » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Gunny wrote:Ok here is my 2 cent guess ATCAI no has a voice?
Oh yeah...we'll finally get to hear Soji's voice :3

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:52 pm

DAM, I can't believe I didn't get earlier in my account to comment to this awesome thread.

I'd like to make a request that many combat-sided peeps that have been playing YS these years will agree with me. A fully fledged and moddable weapons system. I'll explain myself.
Since the launch of YS, we've had generic weapons, mid-range AA missles, 500 lb bombs, what we all know. Weapons modifying began with the replacement of the models in the misc folder, adding more realism to the models, but still, Russian planes had American weaponry, and viceversa. That has changed, with the 2012 version now you can have Russian planes and Russian weaponry. But the weapon themselves are still the same. Thus I propose that Soji should go a step forward, and include a modding system similar to what we have now with vehicles. TF58 wrote about this same thing in the fantasy wishlist, but now that we have the chance to communicate with Mr. Yamakawa, I'm refreshing this request. He also was kind enough to leave some hints on how he could do it.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 767

Post by Maroon 5 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:00 pm

He he he.... I just can't wait for the next test version. Once he said he was testing it on Windows 8. Is it possible that you could actually run YSFLIGHT on a Windows phone or tablet running 8?

And if people are anxious to get YSF on their Sndroid device, consider installing Ubuntu for Android mobile devices. Then, download the linux package, mess around with the touchscreen keys, and then start ysflight. This is still in theory, and I have to dig around for my samsung galaxy intercept to try it.

Anyway, it seems YSFLIGHT is going to be even more awesome in the next release. And has anyone ever noticed that it's the only full featured flight simulator (as far a I know) to run on all three major platforms, and soon iOS devices? We need to seriously start publicizing YS more.
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

Lazer
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: C-17 Globemaster III

Post by Lazer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 pm

We need to get PCPilot to review YSFlight... Dang would that send it over the top.

Crazypilot wrote:
Gunny wrote:Ok here is my 2 cent guess ATCAI no has a voice?
Oh yeah...we'll finally get to hear Soji's voice :3

Not sure, but doesn't that mean ATC Artificial Intelligence? I don't think it means we will hear Soji.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 am

Rise and Shine wrote:DAM, I can't believe I didn't get earlier in my account to comment to this awesome thread.

I'd like to make a request that many combat-sided peeps that have been playing YS these years will agree with me. A fully fledged and moddable weapons system. I'll explain myself.
Since the launch of YS, we've had generic weapons, mid-range AA missles, 500 lb bombs, what we all know. Weapons modifying began with the replacement of the models in the misc folder, adding more realism to the models, but still, Russian planes had American weaponry, and viceversa. That has changed, with the 2012 version now you can have Russian planes and Russian weaponry. But the weapon themselves are still the same. Thus I propose that Soji should go a step forward, and include a modding system similar to what we have now with vehicles. TF58 wrote about this same thing in the fantasy wishlist, but now that we have the chance to communicate with Mr. Yamakawa, I'm refreshing this request. He also was kind enough to leave some hints on how he could do it.
While there is a lot of desire for something like that, the ability to make nukes, etc would me too tempting for some people. Perhaps a system with weapon classes? There are already different bombs and missiles, but adding a longer range AGM or cruise missiles that weighs 2000kg would be something that could fit into the game fairly well. larger bombs, or cluster bombs might also be a possibility.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Nope, adding more generic weapons wouldn't be what I have in mind to get more variety in YS, I meant a system that you could custom weapons with different
stats, like range, weight, speed, yield of the warhead, and most importantly, damage. You could do tons of different missles, while being in the same category.
YS AGMs currently have ridiculous range. Go to the Wikipedia page of it, and you'll see that the Maverick, the default weapons skin that YS has for its AGMs,
has a range of 22 km. Now, in YS, you can't fire it unless you are at least closer than a single km. Same happens with AAMs. I'd really like this to change, and have some real BVR combat.

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:25 pm

As for the nuke concern, I don't think this will be much trouble. If these weapons worked using .lsts then servers could simply remove the nuke from the .lst like we do now with the cheatplane.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:48 am

Honey Badger wrote:As for the nuke concern, I don't think this will be much trouble. If these weapons worked using .lsts then servers could simply remove the nuke from the .lst like we do now with the cheatplane.
Makes sense. Methinks I need to make me some Soviet Missile skins...

If there was going to be a re-vamp of the weapons system, this may be an interesting way to help organize it and de-clutter the individual airplane dat files.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Shiny Rice » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Varren should also tell this one to Soji.

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Soji's been long against adding the thing.

Weapon lists might be on his agenda though. Given that he recently restructured YSF's classes, it could be possible to use something that exists. It's hard to say.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 pm

I must concure with OfficerFlake that nukes in Ysflight has been and will continue to be a banned item.
Soji has some vary strong feeling about it and since he is the creator and developer of Ysflight his wishes will be respected in this matter.

But the idea of over the horizon weapons systems seems to be a good idea say from 25-100 +-miles.
But the dog fighting community has long apposed the idea for obvious reasons.But I can envision separate servers for this purpose.

Just my 2 cents here.
Image[/align=centre]

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Perhaps a bomb power over a certain number crashes YS or exits the flight. Could be another way of regulating weapons.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 pm

I don't see any need to regulate weapon performance, if they are implemented like maps or aircraft, and controlled by the server. If a weapon is not desirable for online play, whether they made too much damage or the range is too long, simply have the server owner take it off the server's weapon list.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 am

As an aside,lets face it guys dropping a nuke is pretty much a game ender.Evan a tactical nuke with limited yield.Most of our maps aren't that big. :)
Image[/align=centre]