2ch GAC standard vs. "Birdfarm" standard?

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

2ch GAC standard vs. "Birdfarm" standard?

Post by Taskforce 58 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:42 pm

The 2ch GAC modding standard - no transparencies, minimal moving parts - was established so that even low end computers can handle large number of aircraft flying at the same time with minimal lag. Has computer performance improved enough that even a low-end computer nowadays can handle large number of aircraft modded to the birdfarm standard (still minimal moving parts, but with some simple transparencies such as canopies and prop shading, and a basic black shadow cockpit)?

I've been thinking of the standard I used on my Down in Flames pack, which is the same as GAC. I wonder if I can safely raise the modding standard of DIF to birdfarm level without much of an impact on multiple aircraft situations. Then again, from the screenshots and discussions I've seen (or not seen) around here it looks like DIF isn't used much anyway :( so maybe that's a moot point.

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Re: 2ch GAC standard vs. "Birdfarm" standard?

Post by wingzfan99 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Taskforce 58 wrote:Then again, from the screenshots and discussions I've seen (or not seen) around here it looks like DIF isn't used much anyway :( so maybe that's a moot point.

Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

DIF is pretty dang great as is, can't say a birdfarm upgrade would hurt either though.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Now see what we have here is a failure to communicate.I perceive the 2ch standard to be a down grade of (quality?) from the point of view of detail.Where as DIF and Birdfarm seem to be just the right balance of detail to lag.Of course its no big secret that I have a fondness for hight detail models and one of the reason I rarely fly on servers and never on 2ch servers.Yes I am a hight detail snob I guess.And TF I fly the slot alot in your Solomons map But I have never landed inverted in the snows of Mcmurdo. :lol:
P.S. TF I would love to see some of you less recognized DIF A/C upgraded to high detail.
Last edited by Gunny on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/align=centre]

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm

I think it might be worth your while to upgrade DIF, but I also wouldn't want to see the old one go as it is still great for lower-end boxes. Might have to do a second "High Quality" version or something.
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Contrary to your beliefs, I too have flown many hours on your Solomons map, practicing carrier landings on both the US and Japanese side. It's great fun. Your DIF pack, as well as your other aircraft, were my starting point in addons for YsFlight.

About the upgrade, I'm agreeing with upgrading the pack to Birdfarm status. But your work is amazing, still, TF!
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Monoceros
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Tomcat Series

Post by Monoceros » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I use the classic GAC style because it is easier for me and that is how I learned how to model. The only thing I am considering is making the cockpit transparent and adding a small detail cockpit to them. Some older flight games from the 90's used clear canopy and no moving parts unless it was arrestor hook or landing gear. The Super AirCombat games in Japan used this method of modelling.

Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:21 am

I can't say anything about the popularity of DIF at the moment because i've been gone for quite some time for personal reasons. I think your birds would look stunning rendered BF style. I'm even surprised to find BF still talked about now, since the original forum for it is long gone. I suppose a primer on styles would be a good idea to add to the modding section.

PS. Inconsiderate or uncouth people tremble..... the hammer has returned.
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.