Community Discussion

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Community Discussion

Post by Midnight Rambler » Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Gennaro wrote:I don't think how realistic and detailed the game is and how people are going for other games is the reason for why the community is dying.

1. For me it's because some members (most of them seniors) are moving on and can't be bothered with dealing with YSF stuff like we do anymore(Basically life got in the way).

2.The community is filled with nonsense these days unlike back in '07 and '08 for me , today it's just filled with useless conflicts between groups of people and instead of solving the problems by talking to each other , they decide to separate themselves and make things worse.

There's a lot of other things I'd like to point out but it's too much , I'll just keep them to myself.

No offence , but I don't think people buying high-end PCs and getting better games and how the maps are plain in YS has something to do with why the community is dying.

I know a LOT of you will not agree with me , but this is my opinion and I know a few number of people who would agree with me on this.
I agree with pretty much all of this.

Ok. So how would the 'not as senior' members of the community like to see it run? What I'm asking is, what would you do if you had a blank site and could do anything with it to run a YS community.

Things like:

Site structure
Rules (if any)
Permission structure (admins, mods, etc..)
Who would have these position (name people!)

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Re: Community Discussion

Post by Midnight Rambler » Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Post says it all.

Have a serious think about what or how you would run a community.

This has nothing to do with the current team, I'm just curious. May provide some interesting discussion as well.

DD-Destroyer
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: FA-50 Golden Eagle

Post by DD-Destroyer » Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 am

One thing I can sure, most of people who just registered have in use of forum. I also suffered when I was newbie.

I think there are at least 2 barriers for newbie.
First, forum categories are too complicated and less organized. We need to re-organize it.
Second, actually as I am major member of YS Flight Korea, I often experience, is something lines surrounding old members or major members. It makes newbies hard to say or ask about YS or HQ somethings.

It just my opinion but it is came from my experiences

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Wed May 15, 2013 4:39 am

Wisdom from the Korean community.It should be heeded.More community less insular behavior separating experience from inexperience.My self included.
Image[/align=centre]

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

To sum things up. You guys are saying that newbies feel inferior or just plain too new and nervous to ask a senior member a question? If that's the case, I agree. I was terrified my questions would be laughed out for being noobish when I first joined. If you notice, intros and questions from the newer members always end with an apology for being new....something that is a fact, not something to be ashamed of. I'm not sure how to get around this. Perhaps a large banner encouraging questions on the top of the page of account creation section could help people feel more confident. And just because I have a lot posts, I don't consider myself an expert. Far from it, actually.....
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Perhaps we could assemble a mentor list?

Based on your interests, you could find a mentor who was interested in the same things and sorta guides you into the community? Sorta like a Big Brother/Sister in a Fraternity/Sorority where you have an experienced person to go to for help. :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Civilian Aviation Server Flight Log

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx » Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Yes, I too believe less people are using YSF than before. I have been a Flightgear user for over two years now; after I found that the game was difficult to manage (in drive space, graphics, and speed), I started looking for other flight-simulators. I played on Aces High for 14 days, but after, I was down again. When I searched again, I found nothing interesting. My brother then wanted me to try Ysflight, but I refused for years, just because of this picture:
When I finally tried it and came to the HQ, I had full regret. I misjudged the simulator by just one picture.
That is why we have so little of a community, no ever tries it, until it is too late.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 pm

No need to apologies for being new or inexperienced.Heres a news flash for you. I have been at this for a lot longer than many of you and I am still learning new things pretty much on a daily basis.And much of it from guys who have a fraction of my time on the site.Its a matter of motivation to learn not a matter of time in grade so to speak.Time only matters in your progression of learning.That is quality of time.But once you start stagnating and stop learning time means nothing.And you are just wasting it.I have a thick skull and learning for me is a trial in my own patients.As a for instance I really want to learn blender and have been following decaffs tutorials like the Bible.But it seems I am having a major problem getting the commands down.But will I just give up and say the hell with it.NO I just keep plugging and sooner or later I WILL get it.And yes I ask questions some get answered some don't but the point is a 60 year old man will ask for help.So why aren't you younger guys asking? And not just on open forums but on the private posts as well and on the server too.If you want to do more than just take advantage of the servers and actually contribute some thing become a major pain in the butt and ask for help to do so.Semper Fi.
Image[/align=centre]

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Post by Midnight Rambler » Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 pm

I don't get it decaff. Why do we need to form a group and use them to assimilate people into the community?

I understand the idea behind it, but wouldn't it be easier to make the community friendlier? I'm talking about simple things here; telling people off for posting in the wrong section, double posting, laughing at people who try and form a squad/airline/display team (aerobatics are probably the worst a this). I guess the forum structure doesn't help either.

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 pm

decaff_42 wrote:Perhaps we could assemble a mentor list?

Based on your interests, you could find a mentor who was interested in the same things and sorta guides you into the community? Sorta like a Big Brother/Sister in a Fraternity/Sorority where you have an experienced person to go to for help. :D
Perhaps not mentors in the way that you suggest, but maybe we should push up the community leaders since we've already sort of picked them out. The community leaders (if not already willing will need to be changed) can then answer any questions and direct newcomers in the right direction. We seem to be very focused around here on how to present all the information to newcomers before they ask. Instead, simply push them to search for what they need to know, if they can't find it, ask the community leaders or post their question in the correct place. After a while, so many questions will be posted that an answer will be somewhere. I've already seen several forums (not necessarily for games) where this occurs. The most common is Yahoo Answers. I'm sure you've all searched many times and seen your answer or some kind of help on one of those pages. Maybe that's the direction we need to go and to also get newbies to be more active and get into the community.

Basically what I'm saying, let's designate "go to" people that can at least help you find the answers. At least these people know their communities well and can send you in the right direction, guide you, or if they know, give you the answer you're looking for and tell you how to get more information. If you still have questions, they can get you what you need. Maybe we should stop trying to prevent questions and do more to promote them. Yes, it is a bit annoying when someone asks a question that is attainable by a quick search, but most likely, one reminder of how quickly a search will help will cause them to use search more efficiently next time. We may need to look into how easy searching is made around here if it becomes a problem, but the way I see it, it isn't.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Varren
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: Anything with wings.

Post by Varren » Thu May 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Midnight Rambler wrote:wouldn't it be easier to make the community friendlier? I'm talking about simple things here; telling people off for posting in the wrong section, double posting, laughing at people who try and form a squad/airline/display team (aerobatics are probably the worst a this). I guess the forum structure doesn't help either.
I've noticed from my time that newbies that I've went and welcomed to the community are the ones that usually stay, we had plans for a welcome PM but I'm not sure what happened to that.

But yeah, I think everyone should be a little nicer when it comes to new guys, they do seem to be treated differently.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 pm

VNAF ONE wrote:Basically what I'm saying, let's designate "go to" people that can at least help you find the answers. At least these people know their communities well and can send you in the right direction, guide you, or if they know, give you the answer you're looking for and tell you how to get more information. If you still have questions, they can get you what you need. Maybe we should stop trying to prevent questions and do more to promote them. Yes, it is a bit annoying when someone asks a question that is attainable by a quick search, but most likely, one reminder of how quickly a search will help will cause them to use search more efficiently next time.
I agree with this completely. Pretty much like my mentor-ish idea but seems to be more open and flexible. I like it.

Perhaps the community leaders could have a signature tag that said somehting like "come to me if you have any questions" that way people know who to talk to.

@ Varren,

I've noticed too that the people that we meet, greet and talk to a little bit are more likely to stick around as well, or at least make an introduction post so that the rest of the community can great them.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Community seems to be the key phrase here.Make the new guys feel at home and welcome.As apposed to feeling like they are imposing by asking what will no doubt be repetitious question we have all heard before coming from our own keyboards.A little patients goes a long way in retaining new members and interest in what becomes of there new community.
Image[/align=centre]

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger » Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 pm

I agree with all of the above. I can answer questions or send the person off to the correct person if need be. When I joined, I received a welcome PM from Iceman outlining all the rules. It seemed like a Form Letter but it answered a number of immediate questions that I had. If such a PM included a basic rule run down and links to the questions section as well as a list of the community leaders and "Experts" on certain topics, it'd probably take out a lot of the guess work for newbies. I'm going to put that signature idea into action right now, too.
"Powerpoint Ranger"

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 pm

I went ahead and plagerized your tag there. :lol: It is a good starter that we could refine in the future as we try things out.

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger » Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm

THAT'S MINE..... :lol: Seriously, feel free to take or adopt it or add to it or what have you. Eventually, we should have a pretty standardized version that the staff members can use that also looks nice and polite.
"Powerpoint Ranger"

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Ya, I stole it too haha. It's a good idea though.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Perhaps we could get an artistic member to create an image tag? maybe use the YSFHQ logo and some other decorations for Civie, acrobatics, modding, etc...

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger » Fri May 17, 2013 10:34 pm

That would be awesome!
"Powerpoint Ranger"

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:18 am

For just being transferred to a new school this year, I definitely know how it feels like being a newbie in a community. I've always replied to other pm's from new members to not be afraid to ask or send anything. We're a community and we'll try to lend a hand if its possible.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)