Turning On anti-Aliasing

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Turning On anti-Aliasing

Post by decaff_42 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:43 pm

So For those of you who want nicer quality screenshots and better looking gameplay, Anti-Aliasing might be what you want to do.

You will need a graphics card that is capable of doing so, so a little reasearch will help. Additionally Anti-Aliasing will REDUCE YOUR FRAMERATE so be careful. Older computers might not be capable of handling this option.

Some instructions:

ON MAC:
decaff_42 wrote:
Option -> Config -> OpenGL: (Down at the bottom!)

This is what I see on my mac. Not sure what options are available on the windows or linux versions.
ON PC:
iqmal_97 wrote:
As for PC users, this is how its done. It's a little bit tedious IMO, but it's worth the work. Ys really shines when anti-aliasing is applied.

1.First and foremost, you MUST have a graphics card installed. Otherwise, it's not possible. Go to your graphics card control panel (For me, I'm using Nvidia GeForce)
2.Go to "Program Settings", then "add fsmaino.exe" onto the list of programs.
3.Now, you can specify your graphiic setting for YsFlight. make sure that you've chose the "override application settings" option, so that the graphics card can apply anti-aliasing into Ysflight. Boot up YsFlight and enjoy all those magnificent lines!

A little warning: Enabling anti-aliasing will use up more of your computer's resources, thus making it more processor intensive. Unless you have a PC that can handle it, you may get noticeable drops in framerates.
ON LINUX: (A tutorial would be appreciated)
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Re: Turning On anti-Aliasing

Post by Honey Badger » Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 pm

A few screenies of YSF on 32xCSAA..... :twisted: Gotta love dat 460....just goes to show what AA can do. Not hijacking, either, just showing a few more examples. Warning: Massive screenshots.

TF's 747 and Kuro's 737= :shock:

Gre and Kuro still blow me away.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed May 29, 2013 12:55 am

I have an Intel HD Graphics card and it has no option I can see to support anti-aliasing. Is there an external program out there that would allow it?
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:15 am

That is a good question. I did some searching and found these links.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/469110-sha ... -aliasing/
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 1691742e13

This might also prove helpful:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/24984
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed May 29, 2013 1:27 am

Thanks Decaff. I'll look into the top one there but so far I don't think I'll be able to do it on windows 7 or with this card. :evil:
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Also, on a side note. I've just been reminded by one of Kuro's filming tutorials. For nVidia users, updating your graphics card drivers will help your PC to manage games and other graphics heavy programs more efficiently. I updated mine last week and I noticed a slight but noticeable increase in games like Il-2 Sturmovik, Team Fortress 2 and of course YsFlight. Since this topic is related to graphic cards, I'm sure posting it here would be most suitable.

*Note: This is only applicable if you're using a nVida GeForce card only.*

1. Go to this site: http://www.geforce.com/drivers
2. DO NOT use the auto detect function. Instead, I recommend you to manually fill in your graphic card specs.
3. Since my graphics card is the GeForce 610M, and is using Windows 7 64bit version, select them like so before clicking the "Start The Search" button.
4.WHQL means it's certified and tested, while BETA means it's unproven to properly work and may be buggy.
5. Depending on your download speed, it'll take form a few mins to nearly half an hour (at peak time, for me, at least). Click on the installer, run the program and chose if you want it to reinstall the graphics driver. Let it restart your computer and viola! You have updated your nVidia card!

*More side notes: One thing that you should (should, not must, but you should...) do is changing your Windows update settings. Change it from "Install updates automatically" to "Let me choose whether to install them". This is because Windows will try to download driver updates itself, most of the time choosing and installing the WRONG driver for your computer. That is why I strongly recommend you to do a manual update yourself.

**And BACKUP your files if you could in case it all fails. You can never be too careful.

Hope this post is helpful to you.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-15C_Eagle

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Does it matter if you use direct3D or openGL after this and which one would you recommend.
Whatever they told you remember one thing... IM NOT A DUCK
ImageImage

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:39 am

Well, it depends. I have experience in using both Direct3d and OpenGL Ysflight versions before. I think it all depends on the rig you're using. I first played Ysflight on a Windows Vista, 32bit, graphic card-less laptop a while back in 2010. Because of that, Direct3d runs smoother for some reason (I think it uses less resources, but I can't tell 4 sure). Then, when my parents decided to buy a permanent home laptop, I managed to threaten them (not really) to buy a Windows 7, 64bit, Nvidia Graphics card equipped lappy for "home" usage. Knowing that it could handle more graphics heavy programs, I then transferred to OpenGl, which I honestly think is running smoother on this rig. TL;DR Try both, then choose which one's that works best.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)