What is the difference.

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-15C_Eagle

What is the difference.

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:32 am

In the weapon selection menu I see A-AAM's and AAM's. Also I see bom(500lb) and bom(500lb-HD) will somebody tell me the difference between these :?: :?: :?:
Whatever they told you remember one thing... IM NOT A DUCK
ImageImage

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Re: What is the difference.

Post by Bombcat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:35 am

The AAM(Short Range) (Air to Air Missile) is the basic short range air to air missile. Once locked on, it will follow the target until it hits, is spoofed by flares, or is outmanuvered. Range is short, around 5km.

The A-AAM (Advanced Air to Air Missile) is similar in range and destructive power to the AAM, but is intended to be harder to evade. Intended to simulate more advanced short range weapons, the A-AAM will re-acquire it's target if the launching aircraft maintains lock, enabling the missile to defeat flares. This is not particularly realistic, and is intended to provide the feel of a better missile within the limits of the current system's programming.

The AAM(Mid Range) is pretty much the same as the A-AAM, but with longer range - I've tested it to 30km. It's less agile than the A-AAM, but the longer range will allow it to loop around quite a lot more before running out of gas, so it's not bad for attacking bombers with a bunch of flares.

The BOM(500lb) is a general purpose 500lb bomb, the most powerful weapon in YS. When you select it, a line with a circle at the end appears on your HUD. The center of the circle shows where your bombs will hit the ground. This aiming system, similar to the system used in modern fighters, is very accurate.

The BOM(500lb-HD) is a bomb with the same destructive power as the BOM(500lb), but with fins that pop out when you drop it that slow the bomb down. This is useful because it lets you drop bombs at lower altitudes without blowing yourself up. In YS, there is currently no aiming system on the HUD for these bombs, which makes them a bit harder to aim.

You can find more information about YS weapons systems here, in the Combat Information Center.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

IM NOT A DUCK
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-15C_Eagle

Post by IM NOT A DUCK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 am

Thanks so much for your reply i have been looking for the answer to this for quite a while. you da best :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whatever they told you remember one thing... IM NOT A DUCK
ImageImage

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:49 am

Bombcat wrote:The BOM(500lb-HD) is a bomb with the same destructive power as the BOM(500lb), but with fins that pop out when you drop it that slow the bomb down. This is useful because it lets you drop bombs at lower altitudes without blowing yourself up. In YS, there is currently no aiming system on the HUD for these bombs, which makes them a bit harder to aim.
I think the reason why there is no aiming system is because the bombs fall directly below where you dropped them. Thus, you don't need to aim it, just fly over the target and drop them (and hope they hit).

KetchupWarthog
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: A-10 Thunderbolt

Post by KetchupWarthog » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:10 am

Not trying to be mean and pick on people, but:
NightRaven wrote:I think the reason why there is no aiming system is because the bombs fall directly below where you dropped them. Thus, you don't need to aim it, just fly over the target and drop them (and hope they hit).
It actually goes ahead quite a bit far, depending on the speed at moment of release. The high-drag falls in a parabola, but decelerates real fast. However, given enough time to fly (e.g. high altitude, low speed release), the bomb would slow down to almost vertical, slow drop.
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50 ft, guns armed, rockets primed, missiles ready” - Me

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:35 pm

There is absolutely no garuntee it will fall directly below.

Matter of fact, it's initial vertical velocity is zero, and horizontal velocity is that of the aircraft... so, the drag can only provide a negative acceleration force, not stop the velocity outright. The bomb has to slow down and drop vertically first.

Depending on your airspeed, it could not move (0 knots, or flying upright) or it could move quite far) (>400 knots).

It's a matter of learning just how fast the speed is reduced, then calculating the altitude etc...

This is why it's far better to just learn from practice: The bomb will hit at this speed, at this altitude.... i think.

Eventually, you get good at it. Like counter aileron to perfectly stop a roll without banking back the other way.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Spaceman Spiff
Favorite Aircraft: F-5(FAB)

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:06 pm

HD its like you dispare a granade in ground, you dont know where they go. The other have a guidation (From Guided :oops: ) , like you use a m4+m203 to dispare the same granade buth with a sight?
Spaceman Spiff know to kill aliens with a Earth rifle ok?
SPACEMAN SPIFF GO HUNT YOU!