Ask YSFHQ: Leaderboard Ideas

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Ask YSFHQ: Leaderboard Ideas

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 am

So for those of you that have played War Thunder or some other MMO game, you know that they have a leaderboard on their game's website, such as this one: http://warthunder.com/en/community/leaderboard/

I'm planning on adding one for each of the different playing styles in YSFlight, combat, civilian, and aerobatic. However, I want to know from you guys what you want this leaderboard to look like/accomplish.

Some guiding questions:
  • What is a valued skill that takes lots of work to achieve?
  • What is a skill that many people can master easily, but some are far better than others at?
  • What type of event can be easily recorded and is hard to cheat on?
  • How do we make the leaderboard a fun addition to YSFlight gameplay?
Curious to hear what you all think. Have at it folks.
I make this website.

Strik3agle98
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: any thing that have double delta wing, twin tailed

Re: Ask YSFHQ: Leaderboard Ideas

Post by Strik3agle98 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:08 am

Eric wrote:So for those of you that have played War Thunder or some other MMO game, you know that they have a leaderboard on their game's website, such as this one: http://warthunder.com/en/community/leaderboard/

I'm planning on adding one for each of the different playing styles in YSFlight, combat, civilian, and aerobatic. However, I want to know from you guys what you want this leaderboard to look like/accomplish.

Some guiding questions:
  • What is a skill that many people can master easily, but some are far better than others at?
  • What type of event can be easily recorded and is hard to cheat on?
  • How do we make the leaderboard a fun addition to YSFlight gameplay?
Curious to hear what you all think. Have at it folks.
I'd say
Eric wrote:
win a dogfight in multiplayer
Eric wrote:
landing, carrier landing since most of people can do it but some did it very nice

thats all I can say, hope its help :)

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

I'll agree with Can, winning a one on one dogfight without resorting to missile spam is a proper skill. For combat, I would add the destruction of enemy ground defenses, particularly Udlaoy destroyers, as something that takes practice and talent to perfect. Dodging missiles without flares is particularly advanced, but rather difficult to precisely track.

For skills that are relatively easy to learn, but challenging to master, carpet bombing, missile armed interception - particularly when missiles are used sparingly, and I'd most likely put carrier landings in here as well.

Moving on, I'm a touch outside my comfort zone, but I have some suggestions which others could improve upon.

For civilians, I'd say really proper precision landings, particularly under the direction of ATC, would be a particularly noteworthy skill. For airliners, flying a proper route as close as possible to certain recommended parameters, such as speed, altitude, bank angle, g-loading, and total time, would be an excellent challenge.

For acro folks, I would include the correct performance of recognized maneuvers would be worth something. Really top notch formation flying could go here. It would be appropriate to make some sort of note of air show performances, particularly when they are well executed.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Not to be a downer, but I also think it's important to have the list penalize those who don't play nice -- i.e. dock them points for vulching, killing a civilian plane, etc. etc.

Don't know how doable all these things are, but they're good ideas nonetheless.
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload