koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed P-38

Compass alignment of new runways!

Post by koshyajit » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:41 pm

January 24, 2014

Dear All;
A belated Happy New Year to all. I am sorry that I was away for a while, but I am back now! I have been busy learning all I can on Scenery Edit...and I have a question on editing...if any of you who are more experienced could advise me, that would be much appreciated.
When you lay down a runway, how do you align it to the exact heading you want it to be? For example, when I lay down a 10-28 runway, I usually end up with it being at an actual compass-heading of 10.2/28.2 or 10.6/28.6, or any number of other odd variations...which is frustrating!!! I am sure there is a 'trick' to it, which I just don't know yet. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Sincerely,
John :)

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Re: Compass alignment of new runways!

Post by Gunny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:15 am

Well most real world R/W's are not exactly aligned with the printed numbers on the R/W.Take a look at an FAA airport diagram and the true R/W heading can be anywhere up to 2-5 Second +- from the R/W number.So if you have no problem getting the R/W number just rotate the R/W until it is within a +- of a couple of seconds of true.I hope this helped some.But if you need clarification on a point just ask. ;)
Image[/align=centre]

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:10 am

Probably the best way to do this is to try to align the runway you are making to one of the axis in scenery editor, and only make the runway initially. Add in all your details, and for the most part ignore the rest (including VORs). You could build the airport around the runway, but it might be easier to just do the runways first, orient them (in the next step) and then build the airport around them.

Once you have your runway, save it as it's own fld file. Each runway could be it's own file, or you could combine all of them together as long as you knew that they were rotated relative to each other correctly and one of the runways was aligned to an axis.

Once that is done, open a new fld file (if using the test version of scenery editor, close out and then restart to avoid overwriting any work you have done when switching to a different fld file). Then import your runway(s). They will appear as child sceneries (with a brownish boundary box) and then select them. Then rotate the scenery (Edit->Rotate->Current Scenery) type in the correct angle and then accept.

Now build the rest of the airport. Once done with the airport, save the fld file and import into your main map. Continue to build around it and adding other airports and child sceneries.

Hope that helps! :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:34 am

The best way to do this is to instead make the runway seperate.

Start a new field.

Build your runway to be aligned with Heading 36. (vertical)

When done, select all element in your map frame.

Rotate by however many degrees you need it to be rotated.

Save your pc2 object.

Go to your main map.

Load the pc2 object.

Move as you need.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed P-38

Post by koshyajit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 am

Thank you all for the very helpful tips...this has really helped me. :) :)

Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:22 pm

And sometimes runway numbers are way off from actual heading for practical reasons. Here in Toronto, the Lester B. Pearson international airport (CYYZ) used to have two east-west runways - 6R/24L on the south side of the field, and 6L/24R on the north side of the field. About 12 years ago they added another runway on the south side immediately next to 6R/24L, and the new pair became the new 6R/24L and 6L/24R, while the northern one was renamed to 5/23, even though there is no actual heading change - 057/237 being the actual magnetic heading for all three east-west runways.

Another example: KLAX, with 4 parallel runways, all same heading (069/249), while named 06L/24R, 06R/24L, 07L/25R, 07R/25L.

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Well this could get really interesting . . .
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer