OLD VERSION wishlist

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Re: YS Wishlist

Post by Phoenix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Two versions of YSF. one which is constantly improving and becoming more realistic, and one which sticks to the level of realism and graphics which YSF is known and loved for.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:02 pm

The ability to missfly the airplane, like over speed, bad prop adjustments,taching out,Bad fuel loads,over throttle,under throttle.
You know the things that make flying a skill I know just whistling in the wind I guess.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Thats why there should be two vrsions, one like the current one, one like the one you are thinking of gunny.

aleksandar
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by aleksandar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:55 pm

I like YSF for the graphics, they are not bad, but more objects. Honolulu should be expanded after every version to include more buildings.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Agreed. AI traffic being realistic (in numbers) would also help.

aleksandar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aleksandar » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I agree. Maybe in Hawaii there should constantly be 737s going from island to island. Maybe some kind of ATC system.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Communications with realistic ATC, communication between AI ATC/planes.

NosferatuAce

Post by NosferatuAce » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:19 am

Let us be reminded that this is YSFLIGHT we are talking about, not Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Although they are things almost everyone would like to have, Soji created YSF so that people with low end computers (Windows 95, 98, ME, etc), and adding things like better graphics, AI traffic, and other complicated systems will defeat the purpose of YS. That is just my own opinion however, and if anyone thinks otherwise, thats fine with me, I don't want to start a ranting war (because things like this have happened before).
An interesting hypothetical scenario I've thought about recently,(not a request, derp :3)would be Soji and Martin Schweigger (creator of Orbiter Space Flight Simulator) teaming up with each other and creating a newer sim using the best of both worlds, THAT would be epic.
VFA-131 Flathatta 4 NosferatuAce

Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 am

You are right on thr button there Nos.
I have one of those high end sims and it dosent work worth a darn on my computer.I think our wish list is turning into a fantasy list myself included.
What drew me to Ysflight was its ability to function on my limited resource computer.Not all the bells and whistles of the other paid sims out there.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:23 am

NosferatuAce wrote:An interesting hypothetical scenario I've thought about recently,(not a request, derp :3)would be Soji and Martin Schweigger (creator of Orbiter Space Flight Simulator) teaming up with each other and creating a newer sim using the best of both worlds, THAT would be epic.
Agreed, perhaps YSSpace as well as YSFlight.

Grigor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Ball-Bartoe Jetwing

Post by Grigor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Okay, I'm kind of new to this, but here's my two cent's worth:

- Some sense of continuity between flights. Those old games like F-19 (which I played a lot back in the '90's) had a list of characters/pilots with their accumulated scores - a sense of surviving. Also you felt it more acutely when you "died". Which leads to:
- Ejector seats. This is part of realistic flying - split-second life-saving decisions.
--- If not continuity, then at least an exit variable storing what you scored in the last game, and whether you lived or died. This would allow the writing of other wrap-around programs to create continuity.
- Shockwaves on ground explosions. A simple white circle expanding (and going transparent) over 3 or 4 frames would give explosions a sense of oomph. Just a circle, mind, not a sphere... A big effect with minimal use of resource. I've used this technique on some of my own games, and it looks very effective.
- With guided missiles, it'd be nice to see [MISSILE LOCK] or just [LOCK] instead of SHOOT!
- I'd also like to see flares rendered from an external .SRF file, so they can be as simple or elaborate as you want (like with bombs, missiles, etc). I personally feel the red asterisk lets things down, visually.
- Another simple addition would be to darken the sky colour as you increase altitude. That would / should be very easy to do, and would be visually impressive.

Is it worth bothering Mr. Soji with this? What do you think?

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by Grigor on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:44 pm

It looks like there is a conflict of opinion, between those who want realism, and those who want the same old YS.

Two versions are needed in my opinion.

Grigor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grigor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:55 am

Phoenix wrote:It looks like there is a conflict of opinion, between those who want realism, and those who want the same old YS.

Two versions are needed in my opinion.
Maybe not... One reason I love this game is that it's light on resources... but it's also nice to have the OPTION to make it more detailed. Maybe some kind of modular approach would be best... A game like Orbiter had the ability to create new MFD windows, new controls and readouts, but at its core remain fairly simple and quick.
Without resorting to texture mapping it'll never quite be photo-real... but I don't think it needs to be. It's like building with Lego, you forget the bumps are there after a while.
Last edited by Grigor on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

aleksandar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aleksandar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 am

Maybe we dont need two games, maybe it is enough to have two game modes. What do you think? I dont understand this kind of stuff. Is it possible?

Grigor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grigor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:17 am

I think being able to reduce models to a coarse state and unplug most of the resource-hungry graphics is more than enough to allow low-end machines to cope.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend

Post by Phoenix » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Two modes, sounds like a good idea!

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Phoenix wrote:Ejector seats.

Being able to pick more than 5 opponents and three wingmen when creating air combat vs AI.

A map of THE EARTH!

and the moon...
Slow down there cowboy getting a bit out of hand with the requests that you almost going to the point if describing a completely different game.

Map of the earth may happen, but not for a long time and not while YS only has flat scenery. And it would also require the addition of photo realistic terrain, the flat maps take a lot of work to make a small area let alone the entire earth. A full size map of the world was attempted, but didn't work.

And the Moon is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO over the top that I thought the need to bring that point out by going over the top with the O on SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

Neil
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Harrier GR9

Post by Neil » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 pm

-Air to Air refuelling.
-Seaplane function (Soji could make a "seaplane" category so only planes in this category can land on water). He could also add some seaplane STP's on the Hawaii map.
-ICBM's which can be launched of Submarines or other vehicles. This would work by selecting and clicking the weapon and then a map of the map appears with a crosshair. You could move the crosshair and click the place where you want the ICBM to land. After a 3 second delay, the ICBM launches and goes to its target.

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:09 pm

Neil wrote: -ICBM's which can be launched of Submarines or other vehicles. This would work by selecting and clicking the weapon and then a map of the map appears with a crosshair. You could move the crosshair and click the place where you want the ICBM to land. After a 3 second delay, the ICBM launches and goes to its target.
What good would this do in game? It's a flying game not a war game, although it is part of it. NO NUKES.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

CharleyHotel

Post by CharleyHotel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm

NO NUKES
Awww :( no mutually assured destruction? that's totally fun for a game that appeals to kids of all ages! international brinksmanship will totally get them in the door!