Crosswind Landings-Am I doing it right?

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:29 pm

How do you guys land in crosswinds in ysflight?

Ive checked some videos and it seems that airline pilots come in only with the rudder and during the flare they straighten out with the ailerons, or the "crab" procedure

Flying with a local airline Ive notice one guy who banks the plane instead of coming in straight and yawed.

Is it just a matter of preference and being able to comfortably and safely land the plane or is there a strict FAA or Boeing/Airbus/etc. rulebook with specific instructions?

Also do you guys mind checking out this landing i managed to accomplish, my best yet. Any judgement, thoughts, opinions accepted!
Click here for the .yfs recording
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:39 pm

If you try it a couple times on your own, you'll start to get the feel of it (in YS at least).

It's actually a lot different in real life but the idea you're seeing is called "crabbing" into the wind. You can use rudder, but YS rudder is quite ineffective and you don't want to have to hold it in the whole time. Simply turn a few degrees into the wind, depending on its speed so you don't drift in an unwanted direction. The banking you might have seen is also a way to do it, but it's a very temporary way to handle it and usually applies if you're getting gusts or a strong crosswind.

It's okay to crab all the way down to the runway and touchdown. The wind will continue to push you until you slow down. It'll be up to you to maintain centerline until then. When you touch down, do it with the windward gear first (left gear for left crosswind, etc.) to prevent being thrown off the runway.

That's all I can think of for now. This is a combination of real life experience with YS since YS is very weird and doesn't do some things right. It's also simpler since you only have to worry about one wind speed from one direction, whereas real life, it can change a bit as you decent and you can also experience gusting and wind shear.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:30 am

I wish I went as far in my aviation training to do crosswind landings. Wind wheel first makes sense.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!