If your plane can't take off, try these fixes!

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
SkyEye MCCIX
Favorite Aircraft: DC-3, B757, and F-4E

If your plane can't take off, try these fixes!

Post by SkyEye MCCIX » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:30 pm

So, you've just downloaded your new AN-225 (congrats on that, by the way.) and are eager to see what the beast can do... You hit max throttle, pull up to 5 degrees, then you await your liftoff... BAM! You've hit the grass.

You try to take off time and time again, but you keep crashing. Want to (try) to fix it? Well, you've come to the right place!

Step 1: Let go of dead weight.

Taxi over to a refuel car and hit that home button. Let go of anything that can keep you down, such as excess fuel and ammo. I suggest taking only 10-25% fuel capacity, maybe more if you're using a fuel-hungry plane. Let go of your extra ammo, too. You don't need 40 bombs to blow up a few tanks!

Step 2: Give yourself extra runway.

Hit the thrust reversers (or just do a U-turn) until you reach the very beginning of the runway. Maybe even start a bit off the runway, on the grass!

Step 3: Takeoff tips.

Before you blast down the tarmac, try to follow these directions;

1) Flaps down, brakes on.
2) Maximum throttle and afterburner, if available.
3) Release the brakes. Pull up as you go.
4) Keep the nose of the plane up, at about ten degrees. Watch out for tailstrikes!*
5) Immediatley after liftoff, raise gear and flaps.

*In a taildragging plane, keep the tail up, and keep the plane level. Pull up once you near the end of the runway.

Fun Fact: Believe it or not, some WWII planes can complete a full landing and takeoff on uneven terrain in YSFlight, if done properly. Try it in the stock A6M Zero.
Someone explain to me why the full double-deck 747 doesn't exist yet...

Or better yet, the Boeirbus A380-747-8. Y they no make it yet?

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Re: If your plane can't take off, try these fixes!

Post by Flake » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Just like IRL on the take-off run keep the nose DOWN during take-off roll as the 10 degrees wing alpha also contributes to drag. Learn the manueverable speed of the aircraft (or V1 Take-off speed) and pitch back at that point to further reduce required runway distance.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Also use trim up 1 notch.Also make sure the R/W is long enough as well 3000' will not be long enough for the AN.225.5000' or longer is better.
Image[/align=centre]

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Tips for landing:
1. Don't begin descent from FL360 less than 50 miles from the airport.
2. Don't start final approach going too fast.
3. Make sure the runway where you're landing meets the minimum length for your aircraft.
4. Use the flaps, and as soon as you touch the ground use the brakes, spoilers, and reverse thrust.
5. Start your final approach far enough away that you can line up. A Cessna 182 may be able to turn to final and line up in a short distance, but a jetliner is going to need some space.
6. Learn how to use the instruments in YSF and use the ILS to help line up with the runway.

Gunny, feel free to correct me on these tips! :)