[GUIDE]Using YSFlight with Steam

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A Raptor

[GUIDE]Using YSFlight with Steam

Post by Vic Viper » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Flying with others in YS has not been the easiest thing to coordinate. As an independent pc game, YSFlight has never had the features that PSN or XBL have enjoyed for years. Trying to find people to fly online with usually consists of refreshing the server list and hoping the information is accurate. Steam changes that. If you use Steam on your computer, you're in luck. Follow this guide to enhance your online YSFlight experience.

Open Steam

Launch Steam and then head right to your Library. In the lower left hand corner is a button to +Add a Game. Click it.

A small grey menu will then appear. Move your cursor to the 1st option Add a Non-Steam Game.. A new window should pop up in the center of your screen.

By default, this window will show all the programs you have installed in your C:\Programs folder. If you used Soji's installer, YS should be here. However, I'm sure, like me, many of you are running ysflight from another location. Hit the Browse.. button so locate your ysflight exe*. Another window will pop up.

*Please note; make sure to select the YS graphics version you usually run (OpenGL 1 & 2 or direct X). If you want, you can repeat this process 3 times to have all 3 versions of YS installed to Steam

Select your YS exe and then click Open. The window will close and bring up the last Steam window. This time, YSFlight should be at the top of the list with it's check box selected. Click on the button Add Selected Programs

Now YSFlight will be listed in your library along with your other Steam games. Feel free to create a custom category if you want.

Why do this? To access some of Steam's great features. By adding YS to Steam the in game overlay is now available.

This gives you:

1. Playtime counter
    FPS counter
    Friends list
    Music player
    Screenshot shortcut

You also gain something else. Get your friends to add YS to their library and now every time one of them starts YSFlight you will get a notification on your desktop (and visa versa). This can potentially help getting the community online flying together.

If you haven't done so already, add YSFlight to Steam. If you don't use Steam, go ahead and give it a try. It has great tools and even greater PC games. By adding YSFlight to your library (and adding all your friends) you are also helping strengthen our community.

PS There is an official Steam group that we highly recommend you join. By gathering here, we can coordinate having fun together online.
Last edited by Vic Viper on Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: [GUIDE]Using YSFlight with Steam

Post by u2fly » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Think, here are some usefull tips about it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/179370/how-to- ... tom-icons/
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (online + PDF) | updated 2019/04/25

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:
“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
(31 DEC 2016)

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Works well.

I'm OfficerFlake28. Add me!
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:15 am

There is also a YSFHQ Steam group for those who are not aware.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:55 pm

u2fly wrote:Think, here are some usefull tips about it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/179370/how-to- ... tom-icons/
Thank you u2fly, that should be especially helpful for those who use Big Picture Mode.
Doomsday wrote:There is also a YSFHQ Steam group for those who are not aware.
Thanks for that Doom. Topic updated with link to the group. I'll take the initiative on behalf of the YS Marketing Team and get some activity going.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas

Post by lorDuckFeet » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you very much Vic Viper ^^
I'm here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/83046070 feel free to add me :P
Best regards, Lucas1997

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff

Post by Vic Viper » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:30 pm

You are most welcome Lucas. Remember to check out the YSFHQ Community group! :)
VFA-49 FORUM