Need help with missiles

gurtejgps
Favorite Aircraft: Indian Sukhoi 30 MKI, Rafale

Need help with missiles

Post by gurtejgps » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Whenever I launch a missile on a locked target during a air combat, the computer aircrafts just use flairs and my missiles just go wasted.
This way all my missiles end up striking flairs and not the aircrafts. :x
Is there a technique to avoid this, I always end up having long gunfights after my missiles are gone :(
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
—Ambrose Redmoon
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.
—John Ruskin

http://www.facebook.com/gurtejgps
http://www.gurtejthegps.wordpress.com

Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 767

Re: Need help with missiles

Post by Maroon 5 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Either use the gun, waste all his flares, or come up close and blow that piece of crap skyward.
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw

gurtejgps
Favorite Aircraft: Indian Sukhoi 30 MKI, Rafale

Post by gurtejgps » Wed May 02, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks shutter and fanjet for your replies. I hope I'll fight better next time when a 'piece of crap' is around...
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.
—Ambrose Redmoon
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.
—John Ruskin

http://www.facebook.com/gurtejgps
http://www.gurtejthegps.wordpress.com

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 am

I think the best bet would be to practice like crazy on the AIs and try to use only the gun. Get good at getting on people's 6s and staying there while maintaining distance and keeping the gun crosshairs on the enemy. Work your way up to the harder levels and try different starting points to get different closing conditions. It takes practice and time, but you'll get it.

In my first dogfight online, i fired a aim9 and thought it was going to be a sure kill, because some AI's don't pop flares for that missile. I lost badly :oops:

Practice Practice Practice and then Practice some more, don't be afraid to be shot down online, and to fight online with willing opponents. :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Civilian Aviation Server Flight Log

latertimelord
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-25BM "Foxbat-F"

Post by latertimelord » Fri May 25, 2012 8:14 pm

decaff_42 wrote:I think the best bet would be to practice like crazy on the AIs and try to use only the gun. Get good at getting on people's 6s and staying there while maintaining distance and keeping the gun crosshairs on the enemy. Work your way up to the harder levels and try different starting points to get different closing conditions. It takes practice and time, but you'll get it.

In my first dogfight online, i fired a aim9 and thought it was going to be a sure kill, because some AI's don't pop flares for that missile. I lost badly :oops:

Practice Practice Practice and then Practice some more, don't be afraid to be shot down online, and to fight online with willing opponents. :D
The best way to drive your opponent crazy; stick on his 6 o'clock and don't go away from it, so he will cry out so hard that he'll lose control of his aircraft.

[email protected]
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15

Post by [email protected] » Thu May 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I know this prob with the missiles, dont wurry...
missile kills are sometimes heavier to get that gunkills :D

If youre new, its usual to get shotdown some times before getting skills, thats the business.
And forget about 'being a pro', just the fun is counting really =)
Hawk

SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by SvenPhantom » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:40 am

Unlike in real life, Missles are not the most accurate thing in ysflight but you can get good kills with it. The best weapons would be the A-AAM and the Aim-120. Use the A-AAM in close range if you're able to get your nose on him and not get the gun kill, as if you're able to keep lock, it'll ignore his flares. To be honest the normal Aim-9s are just for hit and run shots. Aim-120s are not optimal for tight maneuvering targets like the Stock 16. The radius of the Aim-120 is too wide, use these on long range or running targets in straight lines. But still the Gun will always be the most reliable thing out there for you.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:14 am

Personally I have found the AIM-9X as good as the normal missile. Well timed flares can negate this missile, so unless you are carrying about 4 of them, a person can avoid these quite well.

KetchupWarthog
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: A-10 Thunderbolt

Post by KetchupWarthog » Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am

I would agree that the AIM-9X is one of the best for close-in dogfight, but I disagreee on the arguments for the AIM-120. If you are on the good position behind the enemy, and think that you can always maintain that, fire the AIM-120 first. If you keep on "lasing" the target, it would flare at least 3-4 times. That way 5 AMRAAM should expend all of their 20 flares, then you can finish up with a neat AIM-9X (just in case he still got 1 more flare). Good luck fighting online :D
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50 ft, guns armed, rockets primed, missiles ready” - Me

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:53 pm

locked. ketchup look at the previous post date.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Civilian Aviation Server Flight Log