No votes

Total votes: 44

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Combat League

Post by Midnight Rambler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:29 am

So I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while and I want to gauge some interest.

We all know that combat in YS has gone to pieces. Some squads are beginning to re-form... But ultimately it's cooked.

So I wanted to create some incentive for people to get back into combat fighting. Wars don't work, they ultimately become a shit-fight, and combat events/staged wars fall over because they're too organised and people lose interest.

So, I was thinking about something along the lines of a Combat League.

The idea is to have small teams (lets say... maybe three pilots?) that have tournaments against each other to move up the ladder (very similar to your typical football/soccer/hockey ladders). Wins gain points, losses get nothing. Eventually after a few weeks, we get to a point in the season where the teams with the most points then have knockout rounds against the other teams in the top half. We then get to the Grandfinal where the two top teams have a tournament in whatever format is chosen, the winner wins and gets a prize.

See, what makes this different is that the format of the event could be anything that is known to be a skill while flying.
  • Dogfighting - Team v team / 1 V 1 / team V computer / 1 V Computer / Deathmatch
  • SEAD
  • Storm the Base - Clear the map / Clear enemy tanks in city / rescue the hostage
  • Capture the flag - Get to a designated zone, drop a flare. Return to your side, drop a flare.
  • Formation - Perform a set of manoeuvres / synchronised flying / precision flying (fly through obstacles).
Teams:
People decide their own teams, can be anyone at all.

Squads involvement:
This is where it gets tricky. I want to see squads involved, but not dominate in this event. So, I therefore propose that existing squads can only place 1 team within the event. What do I mean by this? I mean that there can only be one "CVW-171" team, one "VFA-49" team, etc.. All other members of the squad, not within that team are encouraged to make a team of their own.

Aircraft:
HQPGAC is my first preference. Teams may provide repaints otherwise the original model will be used. All .dats will be linked to the original ones on the server to completely remove any chance of cheating. Only the name will be changed for the repaints.

Ladder:
So it would be the teams responsibility to turn up to the event. The actual format of the event wont be released until shortly before the event begins. Therefore, it is important to have a set of events released before this begins. It also puts some pressure on teams to practice for the event. At least one member of the team must be present for the tournament to begin. A failure of a team to show will result in points being deducted.

You get the picture. I suppose you could think of it as being an Olympics in YS. What do people think?

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Re: Combat League

Post by VNAF ONE » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:26 pm

I'm down for it :)
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:56 pm

This could go very well with the streaming/recorded combat idea Vic Viper put up not long ago.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

Venom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15E Strike Eagle

Post by Venom » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Erm...Good idea MR! :? :? :? Pretty Ironic considering I had an idea similar to this yesterday.

Maverick
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maverick » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Sounds like a good idea. The smaller the teams the better. I'm down!

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Yeah this would be cool to do!

It will take a little ground work to get the maps and such going. Perhaps the planes could bleu and red to signal the teams, and not much else. thus simplifying the painting and such.

What Maps were ppl thinking about for this?
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Post by Midnight Rambler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Venom wrote:Erm...Good idea MR! :? :? :? Pretty Ironic considering I had an idea similar to this yesterday.
Yours was similar, but pretty complicated. I'd had this idea floating around for a while so I thought I'd test the water.
Bombcat wrote:This could go very well with the streaming/recorded combat idea Vic Viper put up not long ago.
That was what got me thinking. Much like people comentating sporting events. So I thought, why not make the sporting event. Hell, it's popular in realife so why not here?
decaff_42 wrote:Yeah this would be cool to do!

It will take a little ground work to get the maps and such going. Perhaps the planes could bleu and red to signal the teams, and not much else. thus simplifying the painting and such.

What Maps were ppl thinking about for this?
I like your idea... Red v blue would be perfect. I'm thinking that the map would be pretty simple, more or less a small island with one runway and a refueling station. Two land stps and 6 air starts.

With that base map, we can add ground objects depending on the event being hosted. A target for CTF, ships for sead, enemy bases for storm the base. Also, few ground objects would mean less fps lag and build time.

Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Awesome idea MR. This fills a gap that I've been noticing in combat, and does it quite well. I understand this is still in the planning stages, but how soon do you think it will be before the first event? I'm eager to have this join YSFHQ's other strategic objectives and add it to our roadmap.
I make this website.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Post by Midnight Rambler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Schweet. I'm thinking the best way would be to start an organisation and build it that way. Much the same as the airshow guys run it. I reckon we could have something up and running in a month or two, or at least ready to run.

Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Sounds good. Keep me posted.
I make this website.

Volkov
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-21, MiG-29, Su-27, Su-35, Su-37

Post by Volkov » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 pm

WohooooooooooooooooooooooooTM
"Did you know... there are three kinds of aces? Those who seek strength, those who live for pride, and those who can read the tide of battle. Those were the three. And him? He was a true ace."
―Solo-Wing Pixy

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:08 am

decaff_42 wrote:What Maps were ppl thinking about for this?
I was thinking more of 2chmap.

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A Raptor

Post by Vic Viper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Should be 2ch style, lower poly's per model = more detailed maps without the lag. The maps also need to be mirrored exactly. (at least in facilities and fleets)The 171st has experience making these, the Squadwars and Artic maps for example. Doesn't have to be as huge though.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Midnight Rambler wrote:Aircraft:
HQPGAC is my first preference. Teams may provide repaints otherwise the original model will be used. All .dats will be linked to the original ones on the server to completely remove any chance of cheating. Only the name will be changed for the repaints.
And I was thinking about custom repaints for each individual player (that is, if they can make it), although each one would have around the same stats.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Post by Midnight Rambler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 pm

We're getting ahead of ourselves.

The idea is to make this as simple as possible. Waiting for everyone to make custom repaints would take too long and make organisation a mess. I want to see people practising for an event, not repainting a fleet of aircraft.

I'll get the committee set up today and we'll lay some ground rules before going from there.

Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 am

The next stage at this point will to compile a list of team that will be interested in participating in this combat event. The 171st will for sure be interested in such an event like this, as for a possible map, you could use one of the 171st squad competition maps in which many of them are made for teams of three. The HQP:GAC planes sounds like a good idea for this kind of event and as for video recording, each member (or just one in each team?) could possibly do a livestream of the event of their cockpit.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:24 am

Doomsday wrote:as for video recording, each member (or just one in each team?) could possibly do a livestream of the event of their cockpit.
If Everybody saves their replay files of the event, the recording can be done later. This enables ppl to focus on the event. Recording later may also enable a higher framerate.

Someone also should record the teamspeak. Perhaps a spectator. Who knows.

Is it possible to record a single person's voice with TS3?
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:15 am

You can have a spectator as you said record. There should still be a recording function as long as TS hasn't updated it out yet :roll: . They can then send the file to whoever wants to go back and make a video of it or whatever.

Anyways, I agree with MR on this one. Keep it simple and just roll with it. Everything else can come later because if not, the idea will just sit and die like all the other grand ideas people come up with. I'd actually like to see success with this.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Dan
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by Dan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 pm

A great idea, Looking forward to taking part in this. Also If the idea is still going ahead, could i put my name in for the commentary?

Seagull
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: All of 'em

Post by Seagull » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:52 pm

I totally support this, let's do it!