A look back at the YSRA...

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-86 Sabre

A look back at the YSRA...

Post by Danny » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:06 pm

I found all the old YS Flight Red Arrows replays on my HD yesterday. I thought I had lost them - so I've backed them up and produced a series of screenshots looking back at the team from 2009 through to the end of 2011.
History of the YS Flight Red Arrows

A Red Arrows team on YS Flight was first created by Red7Jon and DebenoDaniel around 2005/2006, who flew a synchro style show at a small number of virtual events during the YSTK and YSP1 days. However this small team fell into inactivity at the end of 2006.

In 2008 YSP member Danny formed a Hawk formation team called the 'Green Falcons' with a selection of pilots he met on public servers including Felixno91, Drahon45, Viper and Kamberro. After gaining experience with the Hawk aircraft and formation aerobatics during performances as the Green Falcons during 2008, they decided to restart the YS Red Arrows during February 2009 and added two new pilots to the team Sticks, and Scruff.
YS Thunder over Offutt 2009
Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, USA

YS Thunder over Offutt in the USA was the first show flown by the reformed YSRA and featured a five ship performance over Offutt Air Force Base. This was the first and only time the YSRA and YSBA (YS Blue Angels) performed at the same virtual airshow.

Louisville Typhoon Flypast
Downtown Louisville, Indiana, USA

After the teams debut at YS Thunder Over Offutt, the team formed up with the RAF display Typhoon aircraft flown by Spike and flew over the city of Louisville in Indiana before both returning home to the UK.

YS Cleveland National Airshow 2009
Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport, Ohio, USA

The teams second airshow performance also took place in the United States. The Reds flew a five ship display at the YS Cleveland National Airshow in Ohio alongside the Thunderbirds and Golden Eagles aerobatic teams.

YS Cold War Jets Airshow 2009
Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome, Leicestershire, United Kingdom

The teams first public appearance in the UK saw six Hawks perform a special flypast with Lord Flasheart flying his Vulcan XH558 to open proceedings at the Cold War Jets themed airshow.

YS Biggin Hill Air Fair 2010
London Biggin Hill Airport, London, United Kingdom

At the 2010 YS Biggin Hill Air Fair the Reds flew a signature five ship performance over the London Airport infront of a small audience.

YS Flight International Airshow 2010
London Gatwick Airport, London, United Kingdom

At the fourth annual YS Flight International Airshow (YSIA) the Reds flew a new seven ship routine witnessed by the largest server crowd yet. The display was well praised and formed the base routine for future performances.

YS Battle of Britain Airshow 2010 (Cancelled show)
IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

This Duxford based airshow was planned to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain during World War 2, but was cancelled during the planning stage. The Reds planned a special set-piece with Battle of Britain warbirds to celebrate the anniversary and flew a number of practice routines over the airfield.

YS Sendai Air Festival 2011
Sendai Airport, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan

Shortly after the YS Sendai Air Festival was announced, the airport and surrounding areas were destroyed by an earthquake and following tsunami. The show paid tribute to those affected by the natural disaster and the YSRA operating out of Matsushima Air Base performed a topside flypast with a Japanese Airlines 747. This was the teams first appearance in Asia.

YS Jones Beach Airshow 2011
Jones Beach Seafront, New York, USA

The YSRA performed a seven/nine ship display over the seafront location of Jones Beach in New York, USA. The display featured a nine ship arrival and opening sequence with the usual 7 ship second half performance flown entirely by Red 1 Danny. This was the Reds final display before entering inactivity at the end of the 2011 season.

That's all folks. I do plan to bring the Reds back at some point in the future - most likely after I finish University in two years time, but for now the YS Red Arrows will not be appearing at any virtual airshows in the near future. However, this isn't the end of formation aerobatics - the YS Airshows team are already working on a new project to bring formation aerobatics back to our virtual events, with emphasis on live formations rather than replay based demonstrations.

I hope you enjoyed looking through the screenshots and I will be uploading them and a video slideshow to the HQ system and YouTube channel ASAP, but it may take some time adding captions and tags to each image etc.

Best Regards,
Danny (YSRA Founder/Red 1)

Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C

Re: A look back at the YSRA...

Post by Crazypilot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Dayum, you really are the best screen shot taker. Can't wait to see the YSRA again!
Boneless Pizza

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:45 am

:cry:

Damn, that made me a little teary eyed for some reason.
This is an invaluable post about not just the history of the Ys Red Arrows, but the whole Ysflight community that made this simulator so great.
And I thank you for that.

;)
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Kilo 11
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire

Post by Kilo 11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Simply amazing....
https://www.facebook.com/vnafairfest?fref=ts
VNAF AirFest staff 2012-2016
Virtual display pilot