Plans and Suggestions for YS Aerobatics

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Plans and Suggestions for YS Aerobatics

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Hello all. :)

As many of you may know, the staff here at YSFlight Headquarters are working on re-vamping up our sub-categories for the forum. One of these, of course, is our favorite (well, at least mine), the aerobatic section. Typically these discussions, lead by each section community leader, are under lock and key in the HQ staff only forum. However, I wanted to post mine publicly, because I would like to hear what you have to say and what any recommendations you have for the present and future of aerobatic, display, and formation flying in the YSFlight community. I feel it is very important to obtain ideas from you all because we can all work together to make YS an enjoyable and thriving non-tangible object to be associated with.

So, I challenge you to post your ideas on what we can do to make the aero section more better. If you have already noticed, we've got a new layout in the aero section that will hopefully ease some confusion and help navigating a bit easier. Currently, the format is as follows:

YSFlight Aerobatics
  • Aerial Events
  • Training Support
  • Display Teams
We then have to sub-sub forums in the Aerial Events thread that will be the areas for each of the year's show threads so we can easily refer back to them by date and year. Also, we hope for all aerial events that fit into the category of air shows, display teams, aerobatic competition, etc. to be posted in the Aerial Events forum, regardless of affiliation to groups and such. We want one centralized area for our air shows.

The actual "YSFlight Aerobatics" forum will be used primarily for general discussion of aerobatics, any questions, comments, and such.
The "Training Support" forum will feature tutorials, tips, etc. in regards to aerobatic flying and formation flying for those whom wish to hone their skills.
And last, the "Display Teams" will be for any teams who wish to post anything in regards to them, such as an intro thread, updated news, or recruiting.

Here are some key items I would like to hit on as we move onto 2013.
  • More aerial events, which are properly executed and are successful*
  • A push for online formation display teams be created. Abolish most "replays" from aerial events to promote this
  • Training information to be posted on different stages of aerobatic (beginner, intermediate, advanced) to help teach aerobatic flying
  • Seminars and/or training information for formation flying
  • More aircraft being modded or repainted for aerobatic use
This is just the start. Please let us know what you think would be beneficial to the aero section here on YSFHQ!

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-86 Sabre

Re: Plans and Suggestions for YS Aerobatics

Post by Danny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:05 pm

I can only apologise for my recent inactivity, I've been swamped with University work since the start of September and haven't had a chance to dig my joystick out of the cupboard since YSIA. :(

Anyway, since then I've had a lot of ideas relating to a potential online formation team in an attempt to kick-start the Aero community again. We've certainly got the pilot talent around here - that's not a problem right now, the problem lies in bringing a team together online to train on a regular basis.

I know there are a number of technical issues surrounding the idea of an online formation team, distance lag and lag spikes to name a few - but I don't think we should see that as a barrier as such.

Remember we're not talking about VFAT precision here, we could create our own team from scratch and with that comes our own standards.

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 pm

If the team didn't rely upon formations or had a backup demo without them, then they could do a nice demo without having to worry about lag. Something like Blue Angels 5 and 6 do.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Honey Badger wrote:If the team didn't rely upon formations or had a backup demo without them, then they could do a nice demo without having to worry about lag. Something like Blue Angels 5 and 6 do.
That would be a great way to get newbies interested in performing. Starting in a formation might be a bit much for them, and a solo/duo routine would be a more attractive option.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:41 pm

I was hoping to get something started in VNAF with a 4-ship team. However most of the routine would be either solo or duo stuff and very simple at that. I've basically found a way to do that while maintaining or increasing the excitement without so much formation work. I'll look more into that type of thing and bring it out if possible.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-86 Sabre

Post by Danny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Sounds good VNAF. I'm going to work on some ideas over Christmas, hopefully we can get something started for 2013. 8-)

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 am

Two-ship teams are great. At this last recent YSIA show, myself and Venom put together a duo-Pitts aerobatic routine. I gave him a list of maneuvers beforehand and we went up and flew them for the first time, live. Now, I don't recommend doing this, as anything that "didn't work out", I just announced it in a way where it sounded like that was intentional...but most stuff worked. I did my radio calls to Venom over Teamspeak while I was announcing in 3rd person, which actually worked out fine.

Two people can put together a two-ship routine pretty much the day before the show, if you devote an hour or two of actual practice of the demonstration. Anything 3+ I would recommend you spend more time, of course.

Myself and friends have flown two-ship routines live before at YSAS shows and they worked out fabulous. We were, however, in the same room and radio calls didn't have lag, and since we were on the same internet connection, both of us were pretty stable, and all rolls and such were spot on. We practiced the performance the night before and once before the show on the actual show day to ensure we got everything down. It was a lot of fun, but most of my friends moved onto colleges elsewhere and we haven't been able to do much of this lately...

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"