We need more variety

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

We need more variety

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu May 22, 2014 8:28 pm

Okay, I feel the need to say this. I've been a part of YS air shows for several years now and the main thing I (and everyone else for that matter) notice is that everyone signs up solo jet demos all the time.

This isn't necessarily a problem because it's still good to see an active aerobatic community, but it'd be nice to see more variety. There are about a billion and a half addons for YS and many of them aren't jets. Personally, I'm growing tired of seeing the same jets at our air shows. It's not that hard to find another aircraft to get into. We should see more warbirds, heavies, civies, etc. Of course having a few jets is perfectly fine, but when everyone wants to sign up and fly an F-15/16/18/22/Typhoon/Flanker/Tornado and we end up with most if not all of <those<, there's what I'm talking about.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the main problem is people find the jets so much easier to fly and make a demo out of. I would just like to see more effort put into aerobatics. There's a ton of ideas floating around out there and I know you guys are very creative and can come up with some cool stuff. I've seen a bit and can tell some of you vets are trying, but I still see lots of the new guys buzzing past show center in yet another crazy mach 1 jet demo that everyone has seen before. I'd like to see as many aerobatic demos in piston planes as I see fighter jets. That would make me happy.

Let's try something new. We've been off to a good start the last year, but keep going. I want our air shows to continue to be exciting and the jet demos should be more exciting to see, but not if there's 10 of them.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Re: We need more variety

Post by Gunny » Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm

I agree it would be nice to see maybe a pt-17 demo team or a civilian demo team made up of some GA aircraft.Of course you all know I am a prop head so that would be my preference.But I am sure that you guys would have other preferences.Maybe even a Cessna jet demo team.
Image[/align=centre]

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 pm

I flew a Cessna in an air show at Pt. Mugu once. I crashed. Not the plane. The server. :shock:

Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Post by Alpha Star » Thu May 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Ppffft. Who needs engines. ;)
I sign up the occasional jet demo for just a bit of fun.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.

Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18 Hornet

Post by Mobiyus » Thu May 22, 2014 9:12 pm

I've not been around for long, and Phillipp island airshow was the only YS airshow I've seen, so my opinion is worth whats it's worth, but here what I think as a newcomer:

1- Phillip airshow was great and I enjoyed it very much, but it was a bit long mainly because the same people were allowed to present 3 solo demo... I think it should be limited to 2 displays per person, per show (one solo, one in team). Which bring me to my second point;

2- Moar team displays! IMO, team displays are a lot more interesting and impressive to watch than solo demo, even if only basic maneuvers are done.

3- I second VNAF about the variety, there is indeed much more than jets to see!
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Progress towards diversity is being made with the glider demo (which was awesome btw! :D ) I think if we had some higher-quality meshes of these more diverse aircraft people could get excited. The P-61 would be an example of something that would attract a bunch of people.

Recently, I've been noticing an uptick in modding interest or production, and with two brand-spanking-new aircraft coming soon (Tu-95, DC-10) we are getting more active.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu May 22, 2014 9:50 pm

I think that may have a lot to do with it. People often want to fly high quality addons that look really good but honestly, there's still a lot of other things out there. By the way, I'd like to see a Tu-95 in formation with some interceptors. That would just be too cool.

Of course team displays are needed, but we only have so many people doing them. More people need to practice and either join or start a new team and then we'll see more.

We are making good progress with the GlideYS demo, aerobatic demos, and a jet powered Cessna demo would be . . . awesome. I remember flying a Cessna 182 aerobatic demo at a small air show way back.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Perhaps we need more civilian/ww2 aircraft to get in on the action. I remember seeing a C-17 4 ship flight just for lols on a server. That could be a very cool thing to see, even if they did a formation flypast and then a rapid recovery of all aircraft. ;) (You guys better get on this! You know who you are!)

Skyline has several detailed General Aviation meshes up on dropbox for anyone to grab and complete, so perhaps we simply need to get people working on those.

Server Flight Log

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu May 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Team Aerodynamix

If they can do it, so can you ;)

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 am

So in other words a 747 doing barrel rolls and loops and flying upside down while two helis corkscrew in unison head on into the 747s path? I'm mean it YSFlight Simulator 2000,"The only simulator that lets you land a 747 on a carrier", right?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri May 23, 2014 1:23 am

Well we do try to bear some semblance to realism at airshows.Even if we do stretch the boundary's just a tad from time to time.But we try to keep the truly outrageous lack of physics to the servers not hosting the airshow ;)
Image[/align=centre]

PR1NC3 D4RK5T4R
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: SU-47

Post by PR1NC3 D4RK5T4R » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:41 am

I know this is a bump I'm pulling here, but I have to give my 2 cents...
Personally, I'm growing tired of seeing the same jets at our air shows. It's not that hard to find another aircraft to get into. We should see more warbirds, heavies, civies, etc. Of course having a few jets is perfectly fine, but when everyone wants to sign up and fly an F-15/16/18/22/Typhoon/Flanker/Tornado and we end up with most if not all of <those<, there's what I'm talking about.
The American F-fighters (especially the 16 and 18), and to a lesser degree, Flanker-class aircraft, are definitely overflown at shows now. I will admit that.
But at least the Flanker-class is actually capable of doing something impressive.
Don't quote me on this, but I think the main problem is people find the jets so much easier to fly and make a demo out of. I would just like to see more effort put into aerobatics.
If you mean the specified aircraft in the second paragraph, maybe that would be the case. But if you're generalizing all jet aircraft...no, just no.
I've seen a bit and can tell some of you vets are trying, but I still see lots of the new guys buzzing past show center in yet another crazy mach 1 jet demo that everyone has seen before. I'd like to see as many aerobatic demos in piston planes as I see fighter jets.
Thing is, you don't normally see aircraft like that capable of doing advanced stunts.
You may use Team Aerodynamix as a counter to this, but you have to take into account: TA flies Extras (which, as you know, are among the most agile aircraft in the world), and we already get a good bit of Pitts/Extra action at our shows.

Now, to the second part of this...

As some of you know at this point, I'm getting ready to unleash the beast that is the Darkfire demo. If an aircraft like the SU-47 Berkut (especially my version of it) is something that you would classify as something you see every day at a show, you'd be wrong there.

/2cents

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 pm

Good points, Darkstar. I think everyone has their interests on what they enjoy flying. I gave up flying fighter demos to do more real piston powered aerobatic work for the shows, which I find equally or more enjoyable. I think the work with what you, as well as MD5Ray do with some of the more "I haven't seen an airplane do that" provides good variety, of course paired with other aspects as well (formation flybys, warbirds, aerobatic teams, etc), and the occasional single-ship fighter display.

Granted, Team AeroDynamix is by far one of my favorite teams! :D

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:24 am

I think it was an episode of The Simpsons where someone was reading from a manual for an R/C airplane that the goal is straight and level flying. I think it was Bart who grabbed the remote control and began doing loops and rolls. This reminded me of that because I'm a straight and level flyer and Scarecrow mentioned aerobatics. haha

Hyperactive_sloth
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-22 Raptor

Post by Hyperactive_sloth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:27 pm

You're very right. I never realized, tbh. I'm gonns fly more prop-planes :D

Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 am

Well i'm planning on putting my squadron in for air demonstration as well as MilAv as soon as we can get some sort of squad cohesion going.
1 plane doesn't make a airshow. A poopload of them do.
As some of you know at this point, I'm getting ready to unleash the beast that is the Darkfire demo. If an aircraft like the SU-47 Berkut (especially my version of it) is something that you would classify as something you see every day at a show, you'd be wrong there.
True. There's only four Su-47s in the world. And they're testbeds. the VVS won't send them to airshows unless they feel particularly nice.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:09 am

Am I correct in assuming that the detail is attracting people to certain airplanes? Perhaps some WWII fighters of better detail need some work in the future?

Server Flight Log

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:26 am

Good detail would attract me to any type of airplane.Just so long as we don't ignore the medium detail or birdfarm style detail in the process.Some times YS can be bipolar like in its mood swings. ;)
Image[/align=centre]

Swift
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Mig-21

We need more variety

Post by Swift » Sat May 16, 2015 7:59 pm

*BUMP*

I don't see very many helicopter demos around so for now i am going to fly routines solely with my ducted-fan helos. Helicopters would add a bit of "uniqueness" to airshows, especially if said helos were a bit on the radical side. I sure hope to see more choppers both in airshows and just around the servers in general.

EDIT: sorry to bump a very old topic.
if ( MadeBySwift )
{ cheatplane(); }

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

We need more variety

Post by Stingx » Sat May 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Necro is love necro is life.
We all love how YS simulates helos. I got my demo coming up.