Carrier Operations

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Carrier Operations

Post by Honey Badger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:40 am

Sup guys! I was wondering, how do the carriers work? I.E. What makes them lanadble, what everything (files) does, and can a carrier be made both player controlled and landable ( ;) )?
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Re: Carrier Operations

Post by Bombcat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 am

Your questions have little to do with operations, and much to do with the way YS understands aircraft carriers. To get the general idea, let's take a look inside your 'ground' folder at the stock aircraft carrier.

Inside that folder, you'll find a host of files related to the carrier. the most important is one labeled 'carrier.acp'. This file tells YS how to put the carrier's parts together to make a functional aircraft carrier. The contents of the folder should look something like this:

Code: Select all

ground/carrier_deck.srf
ground/carrier_wire.srf
ground/carrier_catapult.srf
ground/carrier_bridge.srf
ILS -6.5m 30.3m -137m 190deg 5deg 0deg 6000m
VIEWPOINT TRUE
ARRESTINGWIRE -18.647m 30.5m -95.06m 0.752664m 30.5m -95.06m
BRIDGEPOS 25.0m 52.0m -28.0m

REM ACP File Aircraft Carrier Property
In order, this file tells YS where to find the carrier's deck, arresting wire area (the part of the deck where you will be able to catch the arresting wire), the catapult (in YS, a portion of the deck which will improve your aircraft's acceleration) and the bridge, which functions as the carrier's tower. All of these have their own srf files, which YS uses as the landable area etc. Next, the ILS line describes the position of the carrier's ILS beacon, and the angle and distance of the glide slope. The next line places a ground view point at the location of the ILS beacon. The arresting wire line describes where on the deck the carrier's arresting wire will appear. Bridgepos provides the view point for the carrier's tower.

At this time, much like mid air refueling, landable aircraft carriers which are player controlled are only available with the scripts used on the 2ch WW3 server.

I hope this helps, and that someone with more carrier building experience can add more and fix anything I've messed up.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:12 am

The deck, wire and catapult SRFs defined in the .ACP file must consist of only one single polygon. They are not used for the visual representation of the carrier, just to define the area which those functions are provided.

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 am

Okay, thanks guys. I was mainly trying to figure out how all these files came together to create the carrier. I wanted to know if making a "land-able" carrier was possible by adding a .dat file or if it were much more complicated (I leaning toward the latter). Speaking of, does anyone know how the WW3 server scripts work?
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 am

The scripts work in a similar manner to Vince's YSPS in that they are added coding that work with the game.

Also, the 49th "Homebase" has a land based carrier in the main airfield.