Scenery problem

Learn to make aircraft, maps and more with all of the tools. All the tutorials you will ever need are located here!
NOTE THAT HACKING THE MAIN YSFLIGHT .EXE IS FORBIDDEN
Maverick
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Scenery problem

Post by Maverick »

Hey guys i have a question. Recently i started making map, but i ran into a problem with scenery being funky in game.

This is how it looks in Scenery editor.

And this is how it looks like in game.

I don't believe i had this problem in past version of YS flight. They only way that it shows up correctly is if i fly under OpenGL 1.x.
I also noticed that chunks of scenery have been missing in game, maybe it was my fault.

I started creating the map with old scenery editor (One before 2013 test) and putting the maps into the ysflight 2013 directory. After opening the map up in the new scenery editor, and saving it to the ysflight 2013 directory same problem.

Is this a known issue, or am i doing something wrong? any help would be appreciated, thanks!
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Re: Scenery problem

Post by VNAF ONE »

'well, I do know that once you open a map in the 2013 scenery editor, it no longer works with the older version. Also, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is here. If that is how it looks in scenery editor and when you fly, then what's wrong? Maybe a picture of what you're seeing in OpenGL or what it's supposed to look like will help us understand. I'd love to help you out but I just don't understand the circumstance.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Maverick
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maverick »

Sorry i didn't explain. If you notice in scenery editor the number is "36-18" but in game, when i fly, the numbers become distorted. the number now looks like "36-13" with the six its self being distorted. I have several of those across various spots on the airport, even the actual runway numbers are sort of distorted (i will post a pic tmorow). Im not sure what the problem can be.

Like i said if i fly in opengl 1x it shows up fine, same as it appears in scenery editor. if i use open gl 2 or direct 3d d9 it appears like in the second pic i posted.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I don't know what the problem is, but I do know that the most recent version of YSF has some shading issues with really small polygons, but that doesn't look like what is going on here...so yeah...I've got no other ideas.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Post by waspe414 »

This issue's been around for a while. The only solution I know is to patch it with polygons.
There may be a setting somewhere, converting the numbers into a (set of) regular polygon(s) or something.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

Yup, what ^he said. Now I get what you meant. Ya besides patching it up, I have just gotten used to having the issue and I just ignore it I guess.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

I had the same problem with spotting the (Error). And as VNAF & wasp has said it is one of the glitches of the software inherent to it.So short of patching there is not much to be done except excepting what you can not change. ;)
Image[/align=centre]
Maverick
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Maverick »

Thanks for the input guys, i will use the patching work around.
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Post by waspe414 »

Five year and one day necro, but I finally sat down and figured out a fix for this. The issue, present in D3D and OGL2 executables (but a distinct non-issue in OGL1), is that YS is trying to render the letters' polygons with overlapping vertices at exactly the same point. Overlapping the lines in a polygon will make YS just not render it at all, but vertices in exactly the same spot only breaks the immediately adjacent triangles. To get around the problem, just split the letters into multiple polygons using the Map > Split Polygon tool, select two vertices to split the polygon into two polygons that don't self-overlap, and hit space to finalize.

A handy guide for where to cut:
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green