Some tips

Learn to make aircraft, maps and more with all of the tools. All the tutorials you will ever need are located here!
NOTE THAT HACKING THE MAIN YSFLIGHT .EXE IS FORBIDDEN
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Some tips

Post by NightRaven » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:22 am

So I have been modding for the past 2 years, and I have picked up some things.

These tips are to make your model that little bit better, and applies to Blender modding. Not to improve its aesthetics, but rather make it easier for yourself and other modders to work with your model.

1) Type in the extension .srf in a Mesh name, denoted as ME in Blender
This may seem trivial to many of you. I understand that some of you test your new aircraft dnms in OpenGL or OpenGL2. However, by doing so, you may be overlooking an issue that will affect Direct3D users like me. Whenever Direct3D YSF tries to read a dnm with mesh names (not object names) without the extension .srf (eg. "gear" rather than "gear.srf"), it goes nuts and crashes instantly. This can be very annoying. So, please do this for the sake of people with lower end computers like me.

When I mean ME, here it is highlighted:

2) Make the main body srf the parent of all the other objects
This can be very helpful, especially if you frequently import and export your dnms. When Blender exports a dnm, it reverses the srf order than when it first imported it, ie last srf becomes first and vice versa. This can be annoying, especially when you want the transparencies to be last in your dnm tree(Part II, Point 7). However, when you make the main body srf the parent of all the other objects, Blender will play nice and keep the order.
Also, this can eliminate the Z-Buffer issues that may arise from shrinkwrapping decals.
This can be done separately with other parts like wings. If the decal srf is before the main body srf (or the part the decal is shrinkwrapped to), the decal may appear to "clash" with the body.
For example:
Here is my KC-10.
The emblem.srf, which is the decals that are to be shrinkwrapped, is put before the main body srf (dc10.srf). This creates the "clash", which is, to put bluntly, ugly.
However, after the emblem.srf is made a child of the main body srf, the problem is eliminated.

Again, this need not be done to the main body srf, just the part the decal is shrinkwrapped to.

3) Saving a little space (if you use DNMViewer)
If you use DNMViewer to complement the use of Blender, you might realise that after saving your dnm in DNMViewer, the dnm size increases slightly, by about 10%. This might not be much of a big deal, but if the dnm is large and you have similar dnms waiting to be released in a zip, 7z, rar, tar.gz, tar.bz etc, saving down on size can help. So to cut down on this unwanted "growth", re-import the dnm into Blender and then exporting it. This is where 2) will help a bit.

For now, that is all I can think of. I will add more when I have the time and learnt more things.

On a slightly unrelated note, the singular form of 'vertices' is 'vertex', not 'vertice' or 'verticy' (as I once saw). It is like how the word 'index' is the singular form of 'indices', or how 'matrix' is the singular form of ' matrices'.

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Some tips

Post by Barr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:24 pm

I've had problems in all versions of YS by not placing the .srf at the end of an object.

I don't think open gl has any special features ththatet you skip the .srf renaming
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

NeurAxaL
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2

Some tips

Post by NeurAxaL » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:48 pm

very helpful. thanks.