Variable flame afterburner

Looking for a particular addon? Search first and ask second!
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Variable flame afterburner

Post by decaff_42 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:57 am

Hey all,

I was going through some of my more high def planes and noticed that some of them had non-afterburning exhaust (clear) and then flames for afterburning exhaust. I was wondering if it was possible for there to be different lengths of flames for the different throttle levels while in afterburner. That way as you increased your throttle, the flames coming out of your tail would get longer and longer. I know that for non-afterburning flight there are different sounds for different throttle levels, could this connection be applied to afterburning throttle level animations?

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGFHiA ... re=related

I know absolutely nothing about modding, so i don't know the limitations for the exhaust animations. Since there are only two settings right now, is it that you can't attach the animation to the throttle level, only Afterburner on/off?

I'm trying to get into making maps to get my toes wet, so to speak before jumping to making/modding airplanes.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Shutter

Re: Variable flame afterburner

Post by Shutter » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:43 am

You can do a two cla AB, making it a prop and an AB, but that just alternates. If you want it to be about how fast you're going, you could make it an AB and a VG wing. There's no CLA for directly increasing throttle. Check out the excellent cla page we have.

waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: CH-136 Kiowa, Yak-130 Mitten

Post by waspe414 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:23 am

The short answer is no.

There are two animations for throttle setting, one for spinner, and one for afterburner. As Shutter said, you could mix and match some others in, but it wouldn't give exactly the effect I think you're looking for.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:17 am

Unfortunately not.
However, you can utilise the variable geometry CLA to have things move when you reach certain speeds.

On my PAK FA for example, I have the nozzles contract and the afterburner flame extend outwards once you pass 400kts.

If you have a thrust vectoring aircraft, this can be a bit limited however, as you can't have the hidden part of the flames longer than the nozzle. That said, I can manage to fit maybe 20% of the revealed AB flame within the nozzle of the PAKFA, while not having it stick out of the sides of the nozzle.
Royal Australian Air Force
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:18 am

I suppose you could do it manually by having the thrust vectoring CLA assigned to a second AB that is moveable on an axis. Possibly disappears through bomb bay or flaps button?

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:46 pm

I like the idea of using sweep of the wings to shrink the nozzle. I makes sense and I've seen it on other planes as they accelerate.

The use of the thrust vectoring for the increased flame might work. It would allow for a smoother transition between low and high afterburner.

EDIT!!!

I've found a plane that sorta does the variable flames. the XF-35B in Ctrls Extra Pack 2 has a throttle controlled exhaust animation that changes as you increase the throttle. It start out black, moves to a red tint in the engine, then red tint with heat wave and then you have afterburner with heat wave. those animations are only tied to the throttle, and you can get all four at a standstill, so you know it's not a swingwing speed.

Server Flight Log

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Sounds like a low speed prop/vg wing/burner combo. Totally feasible, but a pain in the ass to make.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:05 am

I agree that it would be a lot of work, but for all the realism that it would add, it would make one plane/type of plane very nice to fly. I wouldn't want to do it to every plane, just the ones that would look good with that type of mod.

Server Flight Log