Addon request template?

Looking for a particular addon? Search first and ask second!
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Addon request template?

Post by Eric »

For modders to be able to easily make an addon, it helps to have a standard set of information available in the request. To increase the chances of addons being made (or discovered) I think we should create a post template for anyone requesting a new addon.

In addition, we should select one or more very good examples to show along with the template.

I'd like your help in coming up with both of these. Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.
I make this website.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Addon request template?

Post by NightRaven »

I don't think there is much to making a request that would be considered decent.

1) Intro for some background as to why you are requesting the mod. Show that you have at the very least you have attempted to search if the mod exists in the first place.

2) Pictures and/or blueprints (for aircraft) of the mod and some data of the mod. This would help modders be able to obtain decent reference images without having to research the mods themselves, like how the aircraft looks like or how large the map is going to be.

3)Courtesy please. A thank you would be good as well.

Good examples:
AIRCRAFT: http://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=6363
MAP: http://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=6356
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Addon request template?

Post by decaff_42 »

In my opinion I would love to see a TON of information to really understand what they are requesting. Sometimes it can be easy enough, but sometimes the devil is in the details. I think if we had a couple of spoiler selections we could pack a bunch of information into the request and make it good.

The general idea of my suggestions below is to basically do the preliminary, or even all the research needed to create this mod. If you cannot model or paint, that is fine. Learning can be challenging and time consuming, but there is nothing stopping the requester from doing research. It might be as simple as 20-30 minutes of googling images and information.
"Boeing 787 wing area"
"E-3 radar dome diameter"
"GenX fuel consumption"

1) Pictures.
Not just a picture of two, the highest resolution that can be found, perhaps with some simple MS Paint circles to highlight particular points of interest.
-Blueprints/HD 3-view drawings.
-decal sets (HD scans are sometimes hard to find, but SUPER DUPER HELPFULLLLL!!!) ;)

2) Information beyond the Wikipedia article.
I personally like to use any and all resources available to make things. This may be overkill for some of the more popular airplanes (like the 787), but the modder should be able to get a good sense of dimensions and perhaps even some blueprints beyond a simple 3 view. Information regarding the performance of the aircraft is a must, such as thrust and fuel consumption and weights.

3) Why you are requesting it.
The reasons may be that you don't have enough skill to make it ATM. Perhaps even you are requesting specific help and guidance from one of the more experienced modders in the community (not by name, mind you, just asking for specific help with a certain part if anyone is interested/can help)

4) What steps have you taken to find this model.
Really important for me. YSfinder is a great resource as well as google. sometimes it can be found in 20 seconds of searching.

4.1) If you found similar aircraft already made for YSFlight, but are not quite what you want, provide links and specify the aircraft.

5) Is there a deadline? Is this date reasonable? Be flexible.

For maps, there is other information needed, but the same principals can be applied to that.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Addon request template?

Post by Neocon »

I wouldn't even offer a deadline. Instead, I would point out that addons cannot be created over-night and may not be made at all. Then I would emphasize tutorials for learning to make addons.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Addon request template?

Post by Dan »

It would be nice if addon requesters actually specified what type of detail they wanted such as HD, Low-lag, stock etc. The reason for this is so the person requesting the addon wouldn't be finding themself highly dissapointed at a low lag model as they actually wanted a super duper high definition model. I do sometimes find myself not taking on addon requests as mostly everyone wants HD mods when all I like to make is low lag fun to fly planes that could be built within a week depending on the aircraft.
Former CEO of Fast Airways Virtual Airline 2011-2015
Former Group Captain/Training Officer 323rd Expeditionary Air Wing
Fast Airways screenshot library https://photos.app.goo.gl/NmboSFtxxqgnGFd79
YSFlight screenshot library https://photos.app.goo.gl/tE8mS2UWyKcBPqFCA
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Addon request template?

Post by decaff_42 »

A very good point Dan! My one-track mind forgot about the lower-detail works of art out there. I know that low-detail may seem easier, I have never really had success with the subtlety of the GAC style modeling. Its Hard!

Patrick, I agree with what you say, but having a deadline in mind (even a super-soft one) is something that I have found useful for staying on track and not getting really side-tracked. I lost that on the 727 project and that slipped to 1.2 years. this 787 project is already 9 months old. And I banged out the KC-135 project in like 2months but on that I had a little bit more of a sense of a deadline.

I think it should be included but there should be a warning label attached to the effect that this is really only a desire and will probably have no real effect on the modder. It also can serve as a gage as to wether this requester really understands what they are asking for with respect to how reasonable a timeline they are proposing.

I'm rambling but I think you guys know my reasoning.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Addon request template?

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

I think Decaff's idea is excellent, and would do nice.
If there is to be a request limit, I suggest it be increased as the user in question's post amount increases.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
NeurAxaL
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2

Addon request template?

Post by NeurAxaL »

i've been saying we need this FOREVER.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Addon request template?

Post by Gunny »

I agree with Pat that there should be no deadline included in the proposed template.Seems more like an imposition on the modeler than a request.Also in the template it should be stressed that courtesy goes a long way in getting a modelers positive attention to there request.And showing that the requester has put just as much research work into it as the modeler will have to put his work into it.
Image[/align=centre]
Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Re: Addon request template?

Post by Gunny »

Well since it seems that no one in YSFHQ has neither the time,inclination or skill to take up these requests why don't we just do away with the request section altogether.Just seems to be a waste of band width.All those requests and not a single modder willing to give a fellow member the time of day let alone granting a request even when properly requested with courtesy and well documented.It is vary disheartening for requester's to know that less than even 1% will ever be acknowledged let alone picked up as a project.But I do notice that there is no shortage of addon's for military or heavy commercial aircraft.And with a few exceptions most original work is from other sites.So what is the point of having a request section in YSFHQ just to ignore it.
Image[/align=centre]
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Gunny wrote:Well since it seems that no one in YSFHQ has neither the time,inclination or skill to take up these requests why don't we just do away with the request section altogether.Just seems to be a waste of band width.All those requests and not a single modder willing to give a fellow member the time of day let alone granting a request even when properly requested with courtesy and well documented.It is vary disheartening for requester's to know that less than even 1% will ever be acknowledged let alone picked up as a project.But I do notice that there is no shortage of addon's for military or heavy commercial aircraft.And with a few exceptions most original work is from other sites.So what is the point of having a request section in YSFHQ just to ignore it.
Because there is no real reason to get rid of it. People can request a heap of different things, someone somewhere may look at a request and think: "Damn, that looks sick. I might make that".

And that children, is where YS addons come from.
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

So my dream of having a flying waffle is still a possibility?!
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Doomsday wrote:So my dream of having a flying waffle is still a possibility?!

Hey if theres a flying ramen out there, I bet theres a waffle out there waiting to be found. Just believe little doomsie just believe...
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.