Carrier Fighter Wing 171 (CVW-171)

The home of forums for individual squads, recruiting offices and squad-centric discussion
Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Re: Carrier Fighter Wing 171 (CVW-171)

Post by Bombcat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 pm

I feel that there is some confusion on the 171st's ground attack expectations, and I'd like to clear it up a bit.

In order to graduate, a 171st nugget is expected, among other things, to destroy the non-IFF1 targets on the stock Air Strike Challenge map within the specified time limit. This includes the nuclear plant, the box of tanks that circles around, the building with a truck park, and the buildings ringed with 4 AAA and 4 SAMs. All buildings, vehicles, and air defenses in these areas must be destroyed. The tanks and trucks inside the IFF 1 city are not generally included. The exact standards to which the nugget will be held will depend on his anticipated specialty within the squadron.

The air combat final exam is also scaled to the pilot's anticipated specialty - an attack pilot must score at least 3 draws, while a fighter pilot is expected to score three shoot downs.

For experienced pilots, neither of these challenges should be particularly daunting, but neither test is administered until the trainee has been judged in all respects ready for full squadron service.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

Kynan

Post by Kynan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:54 pm

I found out it not just about skill. Its also attatude towards being in the squad.

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 am

The 171st is a family, we fight together, hang out together (on TS) and joke together. Even when not flying you can find a number of 171st members on TS just chilling. We help each other on modding offer tips and help testing each others mods. There is banter like you've ever seen before and sometimes little arguments. But in the end we all pull together and look out for each other. We may be hundreds of miles apart from one another, but we are just like a family.

And to put it bluntly, if we don't think that you will fit in with our family? You won't get in. You could be the best pilot on YSFlight, but if we didn't think you'd get on with other members of our squad then you wont get in.

On applications we look for personal merit before the persons skill. We can improve on the skill, you can not with a personality.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

Post by Iceman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:07 pm

vandal wrote:The 171st is a family, we fight together, hang out together (on TS) and joke together. Even when not flying you can find a number of 171st members on TS just chilling. We help each other on modding offer tips and help testing each others mods. There is banter like you've ever seen before and sometimes little arguments. But in the end we all pull together and look out for each other. We may be hundreds of miles apart from one another, but we are just like a family.

And to put it bluntly, if we don't think that you will fit in with our family? You won't get in. You could be the best pilot on YSFlight, but if we didn't think you'd get on with other members of our squad then you wont get in.

On applications we look for personal merit before the persons skill. We can improve on the skill, you can not with a personality.
Preach brother.

The 171st is so tight knit that some of us have actually met with other members in real life. I see Redcell all the time, and I plan to smoke with him at some point. Also, Billz and Afro Thunder went with me to the Intrepid.

This squad is 5 years old for a reason. Even the newbies are part of this little family.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:56 am

Yep and Im the godfather so to speak :D
Dont mess with my kids 8-)
Image[/align=centre]

Justen Not Relevent
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: T-50 Pak Fa and Pave Low

Post by Justen Not Relevent » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:44 am

I remember applying to the 171st... good times... good times 8-)
Image lolwut?
Shadow Hunters Marshal Aviátsii

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:00 pm

I wish that I discovered YS before :cry:
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!

Nemesis
Favorite Aircraft: F_18C Hornet

Post by Nemesis » Wed May 16, 2012 6:00 pm

I really wanted to join the 171st, I applied but probably cos I don't have a joystick I didn't even get a response... anyway I still like the squadron, they obviously take only the best. here's a link to my airstrike challenge flight; I did it 14mins 48secs (take-off to complete stop) I hope u guys like it. I hope u also consider this another application. Cheers.

-- Wed May 16, 2012 7:03 pm --

I really wanted to join the 171st, I applied but probably cos I don't have a joystick I didn't even get a response... anyway I still like the squadron, they obviously take only the best. here's a link to my airstrike challenge flight; I did it 14mins 48secs (take-off to complete stop) I hope u guys like it. I hope u also consider this another application. Cheers.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dt87xyvygdu0d3n
...so, how'd you u wanna get back down; in Flames or in p iE c es?

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Thu May 17, 2012 1:53 am

joysticks have nothing to do with it. It's all about how much we see you on servers.

Nemesis
Favorite Aircraft: F_18C Hornet

Post by Nemesis » Thu May 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Shutter wrote:joysticks have nothing to do with it. It's all about how much we see you on servers.
Oh, I see. I wish I could do more about that. I do reach the servers frequently only I usually meet it empty; its no fun flying alone so I don't. Maybe it's a timezone issue... I'm regular between 21:00 and 24:00 GMT. Please gimme a hint when I'm most likely to find a crowd.

Thanks.
...so, how'd you u wanna get back down; in Flames or in p iE c es?

FrenchTOZT
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: F-65

Post by FrenchTOZT » Thu May 17, 2012 5:02 pm

If I still recall, we want other squads to grow, and are not taking applications, I am not sure if that has changed or not. I recommend that you join a smaller, more younger squad it will benefit the competition.
Team Awesome# Whatever. ALPHA-5 OF THE TA-RANGERS Part of the f**king problem

bernholm
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 777-9X

Post by bernholm » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:18 am

Do you guys have a good Interceptor branch?

EDIT: just found VFA-42, I suggest you add a MiG-25 somewhere in the CVW-171 fleet though.

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am

You know, they generally use aircraft that are NAVAL ONLY. Also they are dog fighters, and the mig 25 has a turning radius the size of Texas.

And as they are the most lethal squad at present (the 171 as a whole) I think they know what they are doing.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:18 pm

f-14>mig-25

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Phoenix wrote: I think they know what they are doing.
Shutter wrote:f-14>mig-25

Qoud Erat Demonstrandum.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Okay, that was silly, but no bullshit; we have a central theme to stick to, and we already have what is by far the largest and most versatile fleet of any single squadron in YS. The tomcat is our fastest bird, but a hell of a lot of speed isn't exactly necessary in ys; it can hit mach 2.5, and you don't really need more than that. Sure, you might not be able to chase after the very fastest birds, but you can certainly keep them the hell away.The foxbat/hound was made to defend the soviet union. There is nothing in ys even remotely approaching that size, nor any need to defend any area bigger than 20-30 miles at any given time, which means that in terms of ys as a game and not a simulator, the foxbat is a redundant piece of shit with garbage turning and pretty crummy payload too. Besides, carriers are an offensive force, not a home country. We would generally sink/blow up any enemy stuff before any sort of defensive intercept role is necessary.

Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Crazypilot » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 pm

As much as I love the Foxbat, in YSflight, there's not much use for it.

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:32 am

The concept of the 'ultimate interceptor' is a fun one to explore, and one which has been discussed within the 171st at length in times past. For nearly all readily conceivable missions, the F-14 Tomcats and F/A-18F Super Hornets within our current fleet provide more than ample defensive capabilities. If, however, the need did arise for us to add an interceptor which is purely dedicated to high speed, high altitude work, we could do considerably better than the MiG-25 while retaining our naval theme. The XF8U-3 Crusader III was tested to mach 2.6, and with superior cockpit materials, was projected to be mach 3 capable. Significantly, unlike it's Russian counterparts, the Crusader III was also noted for it's agility, easily superior to the F-4 Phantom - perhaps not the hardest feat, but still not insignificant. The MiG is an operational type, and the XF8U-3 was passed on in favor of the F-4, but would certainly be our current aircraft of choice for extreme high speed operations should that become a useful mission.

As for our current and future fleet composition, we are anticipating some major changes as part of the new Security Wars. Anticipate a strong continuity with our naval theme, and most of our favorite aircraft.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.