Policy Change - Avatar Size

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
YSFHQ
Staff Chief
Staff Chief
Favorite Aircraft: All of them.

Policy Change - Avatar Size

Post by YSFHQ » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:52 am

Previously, avatars were a minimum of 20px by 20px, and a maximum of 150px by 150px. This policy has existed since the 2007 YSPilots days.

After some discussion and review from your elected staff this semester, we have decided that due to increasing internet speeds worldwide, and increasing screen sizes, we will now allow avatars to be a minimum of 16px by 16px, and a maximum of 320px by 240px.

It is Flakes personal understanding that this will not affect visibility of the forum, but it will add a slight amount of bandwidth increase for users as they cache the larger avatars some members may choose to add. This increase should be a one off, as the image would be stored in your image cache on your local PC.

Of course, the Admin team are welcoming and accepting of your feedback on this change. We hope it will be welcomed.

Kind Regards;

Your Elected Staff Team, Semester 1, 2017.
YSFlight Headquarters
Administrative / Official Account

u2fly
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: Policy Change - Avatar Size

Post by u2fly » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 am

YSFHQ wrote:Previously, avatars were a minimum of 20px by 20px, and a maximum of 150px by 150px. This policy has existed since the 2007 YSPilots days. After some discussion and review from your elected staff this semester, we have decided that due to increasing internet speeds worldwide, and increasing screen sizes, we will now allow avatars to be a minimum of 16px by 16px, and a maximum of 320px by 240px.
Please, add two more rules:
  • only JPG and PNG files supported - do not use animated GIF (because it could be more than few megabytes with 150x150 resolution);
  • avatar must be uploaded directly on YSFHQ (no any URL links to 3rd party websites);
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (.PDF) | updated 2017/05/03

“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
- John McCain, U.S. Senator for Arizona, Republican party
(31 DEC 2016)

Flake
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Honda CBR600RR. Shit I mean Boeing F/A-18A.

Post by Flake » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am

Nah, I disagree.

Gifs aren't THAT bad. I understand you may be negatively affected by this personally u2fly due to your specific internet restrictions, I have had the thought. That said, I don't believe we should limit the usage just to appease the very few.

The current bandwidth use should go up by no more than 3 times pro-rata usage. Personally I like the gifs and would prefer more people use them, they look nice!

As for hosting only on HQ, doesn't make sense - other hosts are far faster than HQ, have a lot more bandwidth/storage space to share.

If gifs are bad for you, you can add an extension to your browser to disable the loading of GIFs. ;)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... balb?hl=en

^^ This extension intercepts the HTTP request for the GIF image and replaces it with a still image of just the first frame, news I think will be very welcome to you.

Swift
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Mig-41 Firefly, Mig-21, F/A-53A Foxtrot

Post by Swift » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 pm

u2fly wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 am
avatar must be uploaded directly on YSFHQ (no any URL links to 3rd party websites);
There's also the problem that when everyone uploads images directly to HQ it causes issues because websites only have so much space alloted to them, so linking images to third party websites helps to alleviate these restrictions.