News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: New things from Soji

Post by u2fly »

Soji Yamakawa wrote:

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Soji Yamakawa wrote:2020/01/05 Happy New Year!

Well, almost for sure this year is going to be a better year than last.

Let's hope the vaccines work as advertised and leave this pandemic behind soon!
P.S. Year ago: viewtopic.php?p=116072#p116072

Since 2018 there are no any news on next YFSlight release, even mostly nothing about its development activity.

But, to be fear, few commits pushed in CaptainYS' public source repo:

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Soji Yamakawa finally released source code of YSFLight! UPDATE: Since August 19, 2022 this is not a joke anymore: viewtopic.php?f=167&t=10850
Last edited by u2fly on Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

(31 DEC 2016)
jsu2
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by jsu2 »

xd
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Why must you hurt me this way.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Gordo
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: F/A-18F Super Hornet

Post by Gordo »

Wow, April Fools lol. Nice one.

Co-Founder, Organizer, Co-Host @ VCAP 2021-Present
YSACC Viper Demo 2021-Present
Why Are You reading this? Im Just Gordo...
Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Like my grandpappy used to say " If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is."
Image[/align=centre]
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Soji Yamakawa wrote: 2022/01/19 - http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/main/e2022.html

It's already January 19 while I was procrastinating!

Playing Daikoukaijidai (Uncharted Waters) on FM TOWNS Emulator Tsugaru

If I think of why do I play retro games, I was not able to buy many games when I was using FM-7 and FM77AV because I was a kid, and I was too busy learning 3D graphics and C programming when I was using FM TOWNS. New games must be much more sophisticated and spectacular than games from 1980s and 1990s. Nonetheless, there were many games that I was interested but I didn't play back then. I feel those are unfinished business before moving on to modern games.

Daikoukaijidai, or Uncharted Waters in English, was one of them. About 30 years ago, my high-school friends were playing it. It looked fun, but I was just watching. Once I graduated high school, I spent most of my time to write my own flight simulator for FM TOWNS. I even didn't notice Uncharted Waters was released for FM TOWNS then. But, I was able to win a copy in Yahoo! Auction. I was looking forward to playing it.

But the problem was time. Once I start, I knew it was going to take time. I kept it on hold until this winter break. Then, finally after 30 years, I played Uncharted Waters on my FM TOWNS Emulator Tsugaru.

The file in the CD-ROM, VER.DAT indicated Ver 1.00 Rel 1.00, date was 1990 10.31. I have encountered at least four bugs during my play. I was able to patch three of them. The other one was not so critical, and I cannot re-produce it again. One of them was critical and if you encounter it you cannot continue and you need to start over from the beginning. The situation will be saved to the data file. Resetting and resuming from the save data does not help. Another one was less critical. It seemed that you could get around by resetting and loading from the previous save data. The rest two were something that should have been caught if someone play tested from the beginning to the end. Therefore, I am suspecting that nobody play-tested FM TOWNS version Uncharted Waters from the beginning to the end before the release. I am still wondering if KOEI released a fixed version later.

Unfortunately there is no Uncharted Waters English translation of FM TOWNS version. So, unless you can read Japanese, there is a language barrier to play FM TOWNS version of Uncharted Waters. But, if you are interested, it is available for Windows, Android, and iOS. It is a great game. I finished FM TOWNS version, but I'm thinking to try Windows version eventually as well.

(Read more)
TL;DR: There are no news on YSFlight development in this update from Soji, BUT in public open-source repo (where PolygonCrest and some sources of YSFlight GUI stored) there are updates, which probably includes fixes for compiling under Linux and macOS, and other fixes which are may be targeted for the next YSFlight release:

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

(31 DEC 2016)
Biry
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Su-30MKI.Mig-21 Bison

Post by Biry »

u2fly wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:52 am Full Screen Support for YSFlight, PolygonCrest & SceneryEditor is coming?
But we already have full screen support for YS
(Go to option in main menu>Option then set screen mode to full screen)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Biry wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:20 am But we already have full screen support for YS
(Go to option in main menu>Option then set screen mode to full screen)
No, in YSFlight under Linux there is NO option for "Full screen" mode: non in "Option (O) > Config (C)", non in "Option (O) > Option (O)".

(31 DEC 2016)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

On Mac, there isn't that option in the 2015 version, but in Mac, you can maximize into full screen anyway so it isn't a big deal.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Biry
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Su-30MKI.Mig-21 Bison

Post by Biry »

Oh well :(
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Soji Yamakawa released his old screensaver source code
CaptainYS wrote: Someone found my screensaver left in a PC that once was used by Lockheed Martine, and posted on YouTube. So, I excavated source code from my backups and set up build for Windows and FM TOWNS OS.

I made source code available from the following URL:
I never expected someone finds my screensaver from a quarter century ago. It was so amazing!

I didn't remember where I released it. But later I found that it was included in a CD-ROM bundled with a book I published back in 1996:

Code: Select all

Soji Yamakawa, "3D Screensaver SDK Saber", ASCII, 1996, ISBN4-7561-1403-2
I think only Windows version screensaver was in this CD-ROM. So, I believe it is the first release for FM TOWNS. It requires 486DX or faster (needs FPU), and it needs to be launched from Towns OS V2.1 L31 or newer because the executable is in .EXG format. I have tested on Tsugaru.

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

CaptainYS wrote: There is not much I can do to help Ukrainian people, but I can support organizations that are helping Ukrainian people. Global Empowerment Missions link was from NBC Today Show, so I guess it is a reliable organization. I've just donated some money, hope it helps people who are facing great difficulty.
To avoid scam, I opened NBC.COM then clicked on TODAY.COM link from NBC.COM, and then copied the link. Unless someone hacked one of these sites, or my browser was hacked. The link must be authentic.

Is Vladimir Putin following the ghost of Soviet Union?
Last edited by u2fly on Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Thank You, Soji Yamakawa, for #StandUpForUkraine ;)
CaptainYS wrote:
UkraineFlag.png
UkraineFlag.png (757 Bytes) Viewed 21969 times
VICTORY TO UKRAINE!
Help needed. I recently was feeling it takes veeeeeery long to build my CMake projects. Then I realized the project was always linking executables even if nothing has changed. To test if it was my CMake problem, or it is CMake and Visual Studio problem, I made the following short project.

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.12)
  project(project)
  add_executable(main main.cpp)
CMakeLists.txt

int main(void)
    {
      return 0;
    }
main.cpp

I have confirmed that if I build from the command, Visual Studio generator always re-links the executable. It is not my CMake scripts. It is CMake problem. Now I need to wait veeeeeeeeeeeeeery long time to build Tsugaru, YSFLIGHT, and my research code. And, there is no fix.

The log from msbuild is:

Read Tracking Logs:
  	main.dir\Debug\main.tlog\link.read.1.tlog
  Outputs for C:\TMP\CMAKEBUGGED\BUILD\MAIN.DIR\DEBUG\MAIN.OBJ:
  	C:\TMP\CMAKEBUGGED\BUILD\DEBUG\MAIN.EXE
  	C:\TMP\CMAKEBUGGED\BUILD\DEBUG\MAIN.ILK
  	C:\TMP\CMAKEBUGGED\BUILD\DEBUG\MAIN.PDB
  C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\C_1252.NLS does not exist; source compilation required.
  Inputs for C:\TMP\CMAKEBUGGED\BUILD\MAIN.DIR\DEBUG\MAIN.OBJ:
  	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\C_1252.NLS
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\KERNEL32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\USER32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\GDI32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\WINSPOOL.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\SHELL32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\OLE32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\OLEAUT32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\UUID.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\COMDLG32.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UM\X64\ADVAPI32.LIB
  	C:\TMP\CMAKEBUGGED\BUILD\MAIN.DIR\DEBUG\MAIN.OBJ
  	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TZRES.DLL
  	C:\WINDOWS\GLOBALIZATION\SORTING\SORTDEFAULT.NLS
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2019\COMMUNITY\VC\TOOLS\MSVC\14.28.29333\LIB\X64\MSVCRTD.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2019\COMMUNITY\VC\TOOLS\MSVC\14.28.29333\LIB\X64\OLDNAMES.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO\2019\COMMUNITY\VC\TOOLS\MSVC\14.28.29333\LIB\X64\VCRUNTIMED.LIB
  	C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WINDOWS KITS\10\LIB\10.0.18362.0\UCRT\X64\UCRTD.LIB
  Source compilation required: input  is newer than output .
  Environment Variables passed to tool:
    TRACKER_CONSOLEPAGE=65001
  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.28.29333\bin\HostX64\x64\link.exe /ERRORREPORT:QUEUE /OUT:"C:\tmp\cmakebugged\build\Debug\main.exe" /INCREMENTAL /NOLOGO kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib /MANIFEST /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /manifest:embed /DEBUG /PDB:"C:/tmp/cmakebugged/build/Debug/main.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /TLBID:1 /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /IMPLIB:"C:/tmp/cmakebugged/build/Debug/main.lib" /MACHINE:X64  /machine:x64 main.dir\Debug\main.obj
It says "Source compilation required: input is newer than output ." The problem is all input files are older than output files. One weird line is "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\C_1252.NLS does not exist; source compilation required." But this file exists. If it doesn't, I can make a dummy file and try again, but I cannot make this file exist on top of already existing file.

I thought I might have destroyed some setting. I tried this minimum project on my laptop, and the result was the same. Something was broken globally. I am suspecting other people may be experiencing the same problem. I haven't updated Visual Studio (unless it was automatically done.) I haven't installed a newer version CMake. It's like a bad call to the customer support: "Hey, my computer broke even though I didn't do anything."

I searched for keywords and file names, and found nothing useful. The solution I found on Stackoverflow didn't apply.

Strangely, if I compile from Visual Studio IDE, I don't get the problem. But, I cannot build from my script, so it is useless. Basically Graphical User Interface is useless in general. For the time being, I change generator to NMake Makefiles, but I cannot use --parallel option. I have no solution at this time :-(

If you know how to fix this problem, please let me know.
Attachments
YSFLIGHT-e2022-Victory-to-Ukraine.png

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

u2fly wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:09 pm Soji Yamakawa finally released source code of YSFLight!
:ugeek: Finally this is not a joke anymore:

Soji released YS Flight Simulator source code on August 19, 2022 Image

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

CaptainYS wrote:Business trip to Japan ... It was a little bit difficult to find an entrance to IHCity where Luxury Flight Fighter shop was located. At the counter, two former Japan Air Self Defense Force pilots greeted me. Actually, one of them had glider training in Arizona, which was pretty close to where I did my private-pilot training. His base was to the mountain-side from my base Chandler. He said he once flew a cross-country to Eloy, and then stuck there for several days. I told him one of my friends was a helicoptor mechanic working at Eloy. I lost contact with him. I hope he is doing ok.

I was asked if I have some experience in a flight simulator. I hesitated to say that I was making one. But, I told them I had about 800 hours in single-engine land and was working on CFI. The F-16 simulator was not 360 degree dome monitor, but it coverd forward 180 degrees. This setup is difficult to have at home. If you have budget to get this your home, I highly recommend you to get a real private-pilot certificate. I took off Yokota base. I first wanted to do some basic maneuvers to get used to it. In YS Flight Simulator, I casually climbed up at 60-degree pitch, rolled 180 degrees and pulled to level off, and then another 180-degree roll to roll out, but I was not sure if I could do the same without any precaution. So, I took off like 10-degree pitch, then it accelerated to 400kt pretty quicly. Looked like I could casually invert the plane, or I easily overshot the designated altitude. Then tried touch & goes at Atsugi airport. The monitor had 180 degree coverage, but it was somewhat difficult to take timing for base-to-final turn. In the end, I landed at Haneda airport and taxied to the terminal (in F-16).
I guess this setup is difficult to have at home.
I guess this setup is difficult to have at home.
They commended me that I flew well. Well, I think it included some sales pitch, but I honestly was happy.

I learned a lot from the flight. I had long been wondering if I was simulating fighter jets correctly in YSFLIGHT. Like, when I simulated as calculated, F-16 easily accelerated beyond Mach 1 at military power. I thought it shouldn't be possible until F-22, so I remember I made some adjustment from my original calculation. But, in this simulator, F-16 accelerated beyond Mach 1 on military power. My initial calculation may not have been too off then. I don't know if the real F-16 is like that, but this level simulator shouldn't be too off from the real airplane. Maybe the engine power is reduced in trans-sonic regime in reality. I don't know.

And, unless I pitch up to 30 to 40 degrees during take-off climb, it reaches easily 400kt even without afterburner. That was my another question while I was writing YSFLIGHT. What percentage thrust from military power compared to afterburner? Should the real fighter jet accelerate this fast without using afterburner? This simulator told me so. Again, my calculation was not too off then. And, the approach speed was like 160kt. I thought it was like 120 to 140kt. So, my estimation was a bit too slow apparently.

(31 DEC 2016)