A NEW & IMPROVED YSFHQ IS COMING. ALL STAFF, READ AND REPLY.

Announcements which were previously posted on our Drupal and WordPress blogs.
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

A NEW & IMPROVED YSFHQ IS COMING. ALL STAFF, READ AND REPLY.

Post by Eric »

NOTE: In the interest of transparency and to recruit more help, this thread is being posted in the News forum. The format and wording of this post was adopted from Iceman's HQ3 project post last year. That project did some great things, but was unfinished and I plan to change that this year.

My fellow YS pilots,

It has come to my attention that there are some serious problems that are hindering the community's ability to grow, and that's unacceptable.

Before I begin, I'd like to extend an apology to the entire YSFHQ community. The new site that Iceman and I created, while ambitious, was overly complicated and has caused you and many problems. At the time, the design and implementation seemed like the best yet, but this is not the case now.

This summer, that will change.

However, I'd like to say that I know many of the staff are too tired or too busy to continue efficiently managing the site. If you're in such a predicament, please post here and I will remove you from the current roster with an honorable leave.

Now time to get to business. I'm back, and YSFHQ is about to get a major renovation. You all have given input for the basis of this plan, but I need a good, reliable team to help me implement it. If you feel as if I cannot rely on you, stop reading now.

Let's begin Project Kaizen.

This project will be our summer project, and the objective of it is to:
  • Improve the community we so dearly love
  • Increase game players and activity as well as member involvement
  • Innovate the way players interact on YSFHQ through a rebuilt website
In my honest opinion, I have lost interest in playing the game. But I want to bring that spark back, or crash trying.

Now, this is obviously a very ambitious project. To accomplish the goals I have mentioned, there are a couple different sub-projects that will be needed. These projects are as follows.

Sub-Project 1:
YSFHQ 4.0
  • Rebuilt website
    This iteration of YSFHQ will focus on simplicity and being able to get into the action as fast as possible. It aims to be highly organized and able to scale for a growing community. This new website will be built on Wordpress, and will better integrate with the forum. It will be rebuilt from the ground up with an emphasis on speed and simplicity. Features will be consolidated, repurposed, or removed. All existing content will be migrated or kept on the old platform.
  • YSUpload Integration
    YSUpload has revolutionized how we obtain quality YS addons. It has become the central platform for modders to distribute their YS addons. YSFHQ fully supports this platform, and we want to support it in any way we can.
  • Member's Lounge
    This page will be the homepage for all logged-in members. It will be a revised version of our current "YSFHQ" page but with only the important parts toward the community. This is so that we can foster community development and keep our players interested.
  • Newbie Corner
    This page will provide potential players to see what YSFlight is all about, why it is such a fun game to play, what they can do with it, and perhaps include some starter materials. This will get people new to flightsims into the community, as well as bring back some former players via a "What's New in HQ" section.
Sub-Project 2:
Reinvigorate The Community
  • Incentivize Activity
    We already have a flight logging system for civilian flight, but let's expand that to combat and aerobatic flight. Have combat pilots log their kills, and allow aerobatic pilots to get points for a great demonstration. Note that this will involve a lot of testing from the community.
  • Expand Our Web Presence
    There are many different media outlets we can use to get the word out about YS, and how cool it is. Let's seek to post more community updates on social media and give people a taste of what YS is like.
  • Back to the Basics
    The forum is how this community started, and we want to keep it as the hub for activity. I see that there are massive hierarchies of forums on HQ, which can be overwhelming to new members. Let's get back to the basics by consolidating the more inactive forums, and tag the different topics with what subforum they came from.
Sub-Project 3:
Get The Word Out (again)
  • Spread Word about YSFHQ
    Get online and tell your friends, post on message boards regarding flight and aviation in general, post links from your Twitter or Facebook. We need word of mouth, because it goes far! Suggestions about how to improve our popularity is greatly appreciated.
  • Post regular updates on our website
    To keep our community informed about changes, we need someone who can take responsibility of posting blog entries that make our website. One a week is fine, and it's a very easy thing to do.
  • Maintain a YSFHQ Facebook and Twitter page
    We need someone who will post about flight simulators and flying, and above all, YS related stuff. That way we can get our social media footprint larger, and in turn attract more visitors.
If you have gotten this far, once again, I appreciate it, and I ask all of you to please devote a little time and faith, and we can do wonders. Of course, let me know what you think of the project and constructive criticism is welcome.

Here's the important part. Post below with which one of these initiatives you would like to get on board, and I will assign you through Asana to a project. If you do not post, your voice will not be heard and I would consider you off the project. I want to get at least 50% of this done by July 31st, so I need all the help I can get.

Thank you my friends. That is all.

Updates
Last edited by Eric on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added press release
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Re: A NEW & IMPROVED YSFHQ IS COMING. ALL STAFF, READ AND RE

Post by Midnight Rambler »

I'm out. I can't dedicate myself to this when I may not be able to deliver. Agree with it all, though.
Varren
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: Anything with wings.

Post by Varren »

Things I'm happy to help with.

erict15 wrote: Sub-Project 1:
YSFHQ 4.0
  • Rebuilt website
    This iteration of YSFHQ will focus on simplicity and being able to get into the action as fast as possible. It aims to be highly organized and able to scale for a growing community. This new website will be built on Wordpress, and will better integrate with the forum. It will be rebuilt from the ground up with an emphasis on speed and simplicity. Features will be consolidated, repurposed, or removed. All existing content will be migrated or kept on the old platform.
Can help content wise

erict15 wrote: [*]Member's Lounge
This page will be the homepage for all logged-in members. It will be a revised version of our current "YSFHQ" page but with only the important parts toward the community. This is so that we can foster community development and keep our players interested.
Can help ideas wise.

erict15 wrote:Sub-Project 2:
    There are many different media outlets we can use to get the word out about YS, and how cool it is. Let's seek to post more community updates on social media and give people a taste of what YS is like.
  • Back to the Basics
    The forum is how this community started, and we want to keep it as the hub for activity. I see that there are massive hierarchies of forums on HQ, which can be overwhelming to new members. Let's get back to the basics by consolidating the more inactive forums, and tag the different topics with what subforum they came from.
Happy to help with all this.
erict15 wrote: Sub-Project 3:
Get The Word Out (again)
    Get online and tell your friends, post on message boards regarding flight and aviation in general, post links from your Twitter or Facebook. We need word of mouth, because it goes far! Suggestions about how to improve our popularity is greatly appreciated.
    To keep our community informed about changes, we need someone who can take responsibility of posting blog entries that make our website. One a week is fine, and it's a very easy thing to do.
    We need someone who will post about flight simulators and flying, and above all, YS related stuff. That way we can get our social media footprint larger, and in turn attract more visitors.
[/list]
And all of this.
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

erict15 wrote:Sub-Project 3:
Get The Word Out (again)
I am willing to pitch in on this. Already getting a few connections in the FSX community and have already met people that are surprised and blown away at some of the addons and abilities of YS. I'll keep you guys informed on how that's going and see if I can get them in on the community.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal »

I'd help but there just doesnt seem to be a fit for my position anymore. In fact I was initially informed that i'd be a moderator over my own objections, and my position made rather toothless shortly there after

That said, exactly as when i made my initial return, if you feel you have a need for someone to settle disputes, and make trolls look like fools, give me a buzz.
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.
Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat »

Alright. I've tried to be a part of combat incentive measures in the past, and I would like to see things pick up there. I'm willing to give it another shot.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I'm here. I'd be willing to help work on the modding section.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 »

Midnight Rambler wrote:I'm out. I can't dedicate myself to this when I may not be able to deliver. Agree with it all, though.
I just simply can't dedicate enough time to be able to be useful in any real way.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

I will be able to help with the combat aspect of YSFHQ with Bombcat.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

VNAF One is our new POC (point of contact) for aerobatics, however I will continue to support in what I can to help out our community. Scarecrow in.
Ace Lord
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: B-52H Stratofortress

Post by Ace Lord »

erict15 wrote: Sub-Project 2:
  • Incentivize Activity
    We already have a flight logging system for civilian flight, but let's expand that to combat and aerobatic flight. Have combat pilots log their kills, and allow aerobatic pilots to get points for a great demonstration. Note that this will involve a lot of testing from the community.
  • Back to the Basics
Sub-Project 3:
Get The Word Out (again)
When it comes to expanding our social media footprint, I'm all in. Another thing, I'm not to sure if members of the Kerbal Space Program forums would be interested in YSF but it's worth a try considering their community is growing steadily and has tons of user-generated content like our HQ.
< BoH
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I'm really trying to hammer orb to make YSF more centralised...

Doing what I can.

I like the restructure idea. it's a good one, let's roll with it. :)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Ray
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F22 Raptor

Post by Ray »

Sub-Project 1:
YSFHQ 4.0
  • Rebuilt website
  • YSUpload Integration
    YSUpload has revolutionized how we obtain quality YS addons. It has become the central platform for modders to distribute their YS addons. YSFHQ fully supports this platform, and we want to support it in any way we can.
  • Member's Lounge
  • Newbie Corner
    This page will provide potential players to see what YSFlight is all about, why it is such a fun game to play, what they can do with it, and perhaps include some starter materials. This will get people new to flightsims into the community, as well as bring back some former players via a "What's New in HQ" section.
  • • Ok I'm in for project 1 and yes I do have the time! - Lots of experience in wordpress (i love it), and also done a phpbb integration with it recently.
    • note that ysupload integration may be the thing done last, I know wings is working on a new site and dunno how this would affect things.
    • Count me off Social Media. (Maybe get people that play ysflight everyday to do this!)
    • Unless Ice comes back I'll be looking to you as Head admin eric.
    • I have ideas for a simple forum structure
    • I don't mind making packs for events to ensure things run smoothly
  • • You didn't mention newsletter I'd be in for that, probably start in July, sending day last Friday in every month.
    • YSFHQ Server - I would now like to donate the server I have to ysfhq since Fariiniq is gone. IP: ys.ysfhq.com, default Teamspeak and ysflight port. Multiple admins can connect (even at same time), more powerful + more bandwidth than current server. (Not ready yet, you will be kept informed)
As a rough timescale I can have server, website and integration up by end of next week, maybe less.
YSFHQ Web Team
Darris XTMRage
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: Embraer ERJ-145

Post by Darris XTMRage »

This time, can we have a server list that doesn't have 10/7 down time? :lol:
"SquishyTits killed me..." -Nath
Chatzy wrote: [TR]Kilo-Delta-Foxtrot: how do I make my computer less laggy
[TR]HawkbitAlpha: close out any processes you aren't using
[TR]Kilo-Delta-Foxtrot has left the chat room
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

I'm down with helping out with the server. I'll get with you on that sometime tomorrow Ray.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger »

I'd be willing to help make some videos for Youtube. I don't have much to offer "creative juices" wise, but I can record some quality video for someone. The only degrading thing about it is that I use the free (watermarked) version of Bandicam. I'm also a member of Havok Gaming. I can post about YS over there and see if anyone is interested.
TB1
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 202 SQ RAF Sea King

Post by TB1 »

Sub-Project 3:
Get The Word Out (again)
Not much else I can help with apart from this but I can and will do as much work on this as I can before I go away in late July.

Thanks in advance to you Eric and the rest of the team who are going to help out and let's get HQ back to it's former glory!

[tb1]123[/tb1]
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Post by waspe414 »

I can probably help with the design aspects.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Submited a draft serverlist plan on azure... It changes from linear approach to threaded as the primary speed gain.

I hope this is possible with php. (otherwise webcgi will be needed)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Ray
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F22 Raptor

Post by Ray »

Flake if I can get you access to source code for current php script can you code it?
YSFHQ Web Team