New things from Soji

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
Deleted User 1872

Re: New things from Soji

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

> tfw you receive an update from Soji for a program that you might never use, yet you still wait for him to fix more bugs in the main Simulator

Also, does anyone know if Soji;s thinking of posting the YSFlight app on the App Store for free?
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Look, it is easy to say "Soji should fix x" but as a coder I must play devils advocate and say "read the other parts".

Soji over the last 3 years has re-written ground objects and aircraft to share the same base vehicle class. He's just re-written the entire rendering engine so that YSF and PolyCrest (The new gepoly) will play nice together.

PolyCrest implements YSClass, and so too does YSFlight. That means, by updating PolyCrest, Soji IS updating YSFlight. YSFlight rendering, in the new version, will hopefully be faster still.

I think Soji is a very very smart coder and LONG TERM plan developer. Admitidly he's SOOOO focused on the long term projects that the tiny bug fixes for YSF are forgotten...

We've had this discussion before though, right? YSFlight 2011 version was damn near perfect. A few bugs, but not game breaking. The game worked well. It was good.

Soji's just gone and tossed 2011 YSF out and pretty much started from scratch again. It's like YSF is in it's early 2000's days again. Let's let Soji rebuild the parts of the engine that are centuries old and we'll try again.

If you ask me, Soji is forgetting one important detail: By updating YSF over years, YSF starts to lose compatibility with the systems it runs on. So he's consistently addressing game stopping incompatibilities while trying to ween off 3rd party libraries entirely. It's a big ask. I couldn't do it.

EDIT: Those TINY additions soji made to make OpenYS a success has me really grateful.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

Who now in touch with Soji Yamakawa?
April near end, but as I know, every year in April hi released something.
So, did hi work on YSFlight 2016 or dropped it?

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

u2fly wrote:Who now in touch with Soji Yamakawa?
April near end, but as I know, every year in April hi released something.
So, did hi work on YSFlight 2016 or dropped it?

Remember ysflight is Sojis personal project. And he's a proffesor at a university and with a family and his pilot license training he's always busy.

So unless someone can fill In for him at birthday parties or as a physics professor substitute we can't expect too much for him.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Actually when he does have the time and he is not rushed [which is rare.]he comes up with some pretty impressive stuff.
Image[/align=centre]
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

I propose we all spam Soji with "is it out yet? is it out yet?". I'm sure there would be no negative repercussions at all. :roll:
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Maybe we could hire a pilot to fly around campus with a banner saying, "Make it open source already!" for a week. :roll:

Or, we can just wait because he's a busy guy with a lot of real responsibilities and YSF is just his hobby.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Patrick31337 wrote:Maybe we could hire a pilot to fly around campus with a banner saying, "Make it open source already!" for a week. :roll:
Or, we can just wait because he's a busy guy with a lot of real responsibilities and YSF is just his hobby.
As I remember, Soji at once sad, that if he would be busy he will opensources.
So, thats why I try to get know: if he busy now and ready to open it or is he still working on YSFlight?
Who can contact with Soji?

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

What could possably go wrong ;)
Image[/align=centre]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

How much does a sky writer cost? :lol:
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Really, anybody contacted with Soji?

(31 DEC 2016)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

I speak with him every now and again regarding YSF development opportunities that co-incide with YSFHQ's growth and OpenYS.

Last I spoke to him, he said he appreciated my offer to help work on the code with him but would rather keep YSF closed source for now.

Honestly, for Soji to open YSF now, we would need many people to understand YSClass and OpenGL. I barely understand either and I'm allegedly a wizard around here.

I am hoping Soji will be providing more documentation for YSClass soon, and how to render SRF/DNM files in OpenGL using it. He's sort of guided me in the past, but it wasn't really helpful as it was way over my head.

Also I've looked at his code and it makes sense if you understand the library and how to use it (pretty well intrinsicly documented) but it's not well commented at all, so I don't know what each function does, how to invoke them, what functions to even look for...

I digress.

Soji was last working on Polygon Crest and the relevent updates to the shared libraries of YSF and PolyCrest. I think next version of YSF will render faster and with less bugs. Hard to say what features will be added as Soji is working with some new technologies like machine learning.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

@OfficerFlake, did you sew original YSFlight code? Anyway, think, all we must to know about YSClass and OpenGL now already presented in PolygonCrest, sources of those already I read.
As for me, everyone, who already know something about programming, can understand code of YSFlight.
Patrick31337 wrote:How much does a sky writer cost? :lol:
It's FREE!
captionit6044435444B82.jpg
captionit6044435444B82.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 9392 times

(31 DEC 2016)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

u2fly wrote:@OfficerFlake, did you sew original YSFlight code?
No, just YSClass and Blue Impulse SDK's. Soji has never shared any YSF source with me, only the open sources on his own website publically availble already.

u2fly wrote:Anyway, think, all we must to know about YSClass and OpenGL now already presented in PolygonCrest, sources of those already I read.
Aye, it's quite the learning curve however.

u2fly wrote:As for me, everyone, who already know something about programming, can understand code of YSFlight.
Well it can be logically followed like any code, but there are snippits with variables named v1,v2,c1,c,p all in the same function. It makes logical sense to follow but the objective and potential outcomes can be unclear. This is why it is important to reference the YSClass manual's on YSFlight.Com, but the manual only explains the functions and what they can do. I have no idea what an open shell is and why an open shell would cause issues in rendering or binary calculations, but the manual talks about it. To sumarise, read the code all you like, but unless you understand how to use the code, it's a void exercise.
Patrick31337 wrote:How much does a sky writer cost? :lol:
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric »

From Soji's blog: http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/main/e2016.html#20160402
Soji wrote:It's been an extremely busy spring semester for me, probably the busiest since 1999. I am as busy as when I was studying for my Ph.D qualifying exam. Of course the main reason is because I am teaching a new programming course. At the beginning of the semester, I was preparing lecture notes two weeks ahead of time. Now time is catching up with me, and I am preparing a lecture note for the next week. I am spending so much time for preparing lecture notes, but I have a feeling that the students are not keeping up with the course contents. There is no point of the new course if I cover the same-level topics as the introductory programming course that I have been teaching in the fall semesters. I am trying to include more advanced (more advanced than introductory level) programming topics that I am dealing day-to-day basis. But, from the podium, the students don't look to be quite understanding the contents that I am covering. Maybe I should spend more time to explain the topics.
Finals week for Carnegie Mellon is next week. Professors also have a great deal of stress leading up to and during finals week.
I make this website.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

There 3 posts in row in April, and no one from them about YSFlight... :-(

(31 DEC 2016)
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

Patience, u2fly. Once Finals are over at CarMel, we might get a report on what Soji has in mind.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Soji decided to share his hobby with us.There are no contracts there are no end user agreements.You are not required to pay a red cent for it.But some of you act like he has a responsibility to keep you in the loop.He does not.He graciously give us updates from time to time to keep us informed but he does not have to.If he wanted to he could at any time discontinue the whole project if he found it interfering in his professional or personal life.None of us have an entitlement to this Ysflight Project of his.We are simply along for the ride.So demanding any kind of response from him is arrogant as he has no such responsibility to us except what he sees fit.
Image[/align=centre]
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

#flake2014
NajmiCreative
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-29N,SU-30 MKM

Post by NajmiCreative »

recent post from Soji...just take the last paragraph and left all of it
Soji wrote:I need to resume YSFLIGHT development as well. .... Where was I stopping? I feel like decades have passed since I saw the YSFLIGHT code last time.
at last,the development continues back... especially for mobile ones (I guess? :? )
My official website
My Twitter NOTE:All my rework model are allowed for repaint and need to credit on publish..no need to PM me anymore
[align=center]for modifications on my mods,please PM me first,and credit me and original creator(if my work were rework)[/align]