New things from Soji

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
V8-DLA
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 787

Re: New things from Soji

Post by V8-DLA »

NajmiCreative wrote:recent post from Soji...just take the last paragraph and left all of it
Soji wrote:I need to resume YSFLIGHT development as well. .... Where was I stopping? I feel like decades have passed since I saw the YSFLIGHT code last time.
at last,the development continues back... especially for mobile ones (I guess? :? )
clever find there,hope he develop the mobile version that might soon be released,might try to install addons if it's finished.
Currently inactive,may return soon.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

NajmiCreative wrote:recent post from Soji...just take the last paragraph and left all of it
Soji wrote:I need to resume YSFLIGHT development as well. .... Where was I stopping? I feel like decades have passed since I saw the YSFLIGHT code last time.
at last,the development continues back... especially for mobile ones (I guess? :? )
Thanks, good news.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Truly frustrating to me that Soji has not made any progress on the main program but yet detours to develop mobile apps :(
Image[/align=centre]
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Few month ago I wrote a letter to Soji with information about PolygonCrest problems and now got an answer:
Soji Yamakawa wrote:2.06.2016, 03:29
Re: PolygonCrest

Hi U2fly,

Thank you for the E-Mail and I'm sorry for late reply.

I'll soon upload the new version of Polygon Crest. I was extremely busy for the past six months or so, and my out-of-work activities were very much reduced. But, I am trying to get back to speed.

Soji
So, KEEP CALM and WAIT FOR NEW POLYGON CREST! ;-)

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Soji Yamakawa wrote:Casting Shadow with the Shadow-Map Method
(November 26, 2016)

In YSFLIGHT for OpenGL 2.0, I have implemented the shadow-map method. I believe it can also be done with Direct X9, but, I don't want to spend even a second to learn an API that runs on only one operating system, and even declared deprecated by the vendor. Shadow-map feature will be available only in YSFLIGHT on OpenGL 2.0/ES 2.0 for now. If Vulkun API catches up the speed, I will add support for Vulkun. Then the shadow- map feature will be available in YSFLIGHT on Vulkun then. But, I don't know how popular Vulkun can become. It may just fade away. Right now, there is no replqcement of OpenGL 1.1. I need to go very high- level, which is pretty much useless for me, or very low-level, which needs work to make it useful for me. Not everyone needs photo-realistic movie- like graphics. For me, I need 3D graphics to prove my concept in my research. OpenGL 1.1 was just good for my purpose. To use OpenGL 2.0 with ease, I wrote a cover library. Maybe I'll need to do the same for Vulkan eventually.

But, what I desperately want to avoid is to spend considerable time to lean how to use Vulkun only to see Vulkun just fading away. I wasted too much time to learn Direct3D9. Microsoft ditched it in Direct X10. If I knew my knowledge in DirectX9 becomes useless in such a short time, I definitely wouldn't have wasted time learning Direct3D9. I learned from it. I will never spend time learning Direct X12.

The shadow-map method is a standard method for rendering shadow in the recent 3D graphics applications. However, most of the 3D- graphics techniques are not good for rendering a scene that expands up to 20 miles. First I need to render a texture in which each pixel is a distance from the light source. But, even if I use 2048x2048 texture, one pixel corresponds to 0.01 mile. A shadow of a F-18 becomes a square. Useless.

The solution is to use multiple shadow-maps. I have tried a method that is said to be the most efficient method to this day called Cascaded Shadow Map (CSM) with three shadow-map textures. But, it turned out still too coarse. Useless. If you have a high-end GPU, and if I can increase the shadow-map count to like 8 or 10, it may be useful. But, my goal is to keep YSFLIGHT comfortable with 3-year old hardware. Three shadow-maps seems to be the maximum, based on the performance on 2014 Mac mini. Actually, this method has a problem, too. Imagine a formation passes above you from the behind. The light source is also to the back far above. The shadow of the formation must be visible before the formation comes in to the view. However, if I implement the CSM method as described in the paper, the shadow won't be visible until the formation is in the view frustum.

In conclusion, I need to adjust the light volume depending on the view mode. CSM might be generally good solution, but if I am looking at a particular airplane, I want the maximum resolution around the airplane, not close to the view point. I haven't implement this adaptive light- volume yet, but I tested the implementation with a very ad-hoc light volumes.

By the way, I also reduced the shaking of the rendering when the view point is far from the origin. The problem was that the GPU calculates matrices in 32- bit floating points. I have modified my code so that CPU calculates the transformation matrices using 64-bit floating points. This change essentially gets rid of the shaking. A few years ago everyone was talking about General Purpose GPU. But, GPU vendors are stubbornly refusing to support 64-bit floating points. 32-bit floating point is too inprecise for serious applications. GPUs are pretty much useless for many engineering applications, until GPUs are capable of calculating 64-bit floating points.

Nonetheless, maximum Z-buffer precision used to be 16-bit. Now, it looks like the low-end GPU supports at least 24-bit Z-buffer. I am thinking to remove "Z-Buffer Quality" option in YSFLIGHT and simplify the rendering code.

By the way, I have tried machine learning to fly an airplane in YSFLIGHT, too. I tried to make a speed-controller with machine learning. Unless my machine-learning code can control the speed, there is no way to do more complex flying with it. The result was a failure. I let an airplane fly in many different conditions and used flight records as learning data. Then, I made my machine-learning code to control the airspeed. But, it didn't work well. I guess I need to study more about machine learning. Eventually I can make something. Let's see.

(31 DEC 2016)
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

Holy shit that is a real step up from the graphics on YS currently. Hopefully that'll be done soon :)
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

What's with the hating on Vulkan? Open gl (at least the older ones he uses) is the one with support getting dropped soon. Thought he'd know better
Last edited by Vic Viper on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

By the way, I also reduced the shaking of the rendering when the view point is far from the origin. The problem was that the GPU calculates matrices in 32- bit floating points. I have modified my code so that CPU calculates the transformation matrices using 64-bit floating points. This change essentially gets rid of the shaking. A few years ago everyone was talking about General Purpose GPU. But, GPU vendors are stubbornly refusing to support 64-bit floating points. 32-bit floating point is too inprecise for serious applications. GPUs are pretty much useless for many engineering applications, until GPUs are capable of calculating 64-bit floating points.
And that is how letters get shit done. :lol:

But yeah, Good to see Soji applied that fix successfully. Hopefully we'll see a new build before the end of the year or by next spring.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Casting Shadow with the Shadow-Map Method
Ooooo I think I know where this is going. Sun/Moon?
By the way, I also reduced the shaking of the rendering when the view point is far from the origin. The problem was that the GPU calculates matrices in 32-bit floating points.
Called it.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

xX_SuperSic58_Xx wrote:
By the way, I also reduced the shaking of the rendering when the view point is far from the origin. The problem was that the GPU calculates matrices in 32-bit floating points.
Called it.
Why Soji still not implement for scenery geographical coordinate system (as "globe" with 0...360 deg longitude and -90...+90 deg for latitude ) that is continued instead of current center-oriented coordinate system (now its is "plane" coordinates are -∞...0...+∞)???

(31 DEC 2016)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

It is probably because you will run into a similar problem when really far away. The radial coordinate would be something like 356.34543463453..... You would still eventually run out of floating point precision, just in a different way.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
m88youngling
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: R-9A Arrowhead - F-16C Rainbow Falcon

Post by m88youngling »

Sun/Moon in YSF would be pretty C:
Maybe even modifiable textures for them, and combined with OYS you could get moon phases over time.
SARF Executive Officer (2IC)
[email protected]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

These are truly exciting times.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

decaff_42 wrote:It is probably because you will run into a similar problem when really far away. The radial coordinate would be something like 356.34543463453..... You would still eventually run out of floating point precision, just in a different way.
No, in geographical coordinates there no meaning for "far away", because its a sphere and it hasn't start or end.
Only thing needed to fix there is precision (0.01 or 0.00001, etc.) of YSFlight position. And it's possible use fixed-point numbers instead of floating there.

(31 DEC 2016)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

Okay I understand what you are saying now.

Basically I think it all comes down to what already exists. A change to a geographical coordinate system would require a massive overhaul of the code for maps, replays, and probably a lot more that I'm not thinking of. Without some sort of translation code, any old FLD would become useless overnight.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

decaff_42 wrote:Okay I understand what you are saying now.

Basically I think it all comes down to what already exists. A change to a geographical coordinate system would require a massive overhaul of the code for maps, replays, and probably a lot more that I'm not thinking of. Without some sort of translation code, any old FLD would become useless overnight.
Yeah, I think this was major mistake of Soji when he firstly choose how scenery would be represented in YSFlight. But, as for me, now its a time to fix it as I described above. There no need change DNM or SRF coordinate system, but FLD and YFS ("YSFlight's world")
P.S.: "- Better (make this) late than never."

(31 DEC 2016)
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

A transition from a flat world to a globe would probably be worth the problems as long as it was possible to convert old maps to the new system in some way.

I just don't see it happening any time soon.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

u2fly wrote:Why Soji still not implement for scenery geographical coordinate system
Because at the very least that would require another translation matrix and that would reduce render speed.

Honestly I think he's done for now. With a 64 bit decimal the maps can be much MUCH larger. We could make a world map finally.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Stormraider
Favorite Aircraft: B-1B Lancer

Post by Stormraider »

xX_SuperSic58_Xx wrote:
u2fly wrote:Why Soji still not implement for scenery geographical coordinate system
Because at the very least that would require another translation matrix and that would reduce render speed.

Honestly I think he's done for now. With a 64 bit decimal the maps can be much MUCH larger. We could make a world map finally.
Does that mean that Project Atlas will continue?
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

Stormraider wrote:
xX_SuperSic58_Xx wrote:

Does that mean that Project Atlas will continue?
What's Project Atlas?
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.