New things from Soji

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: New things from Soji

Post by Neocon »

I don't remember for sure, but that may be my desire to have the entire world in YSF by 2030. :lol:
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

Nodoka Hanamura wrote:
Stormraider wrote:
xX_SuperSic58_Xx wrote: Because at the very least that would require another translation matrix and that would reduce render speed.

Honestly I think he's done for now. With a 64 bit decimal the maps can be much MUCH larger. We could make a world map finally.
Does that mean that Project Atlas will continue?
What's Project Atlas?
Here
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I totally believe that Soji reads the forum too at this point.

Hi.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

Doomsday wrote:
Nodoka Hanamura wrote:
Stormraider wrote: Does that mean that Project Atlas will continue?
What's Project Atlas?
Here
... given recent events, I'll I'm going to say is this - and I say this PERSONALLY, not as a adminstrator -

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

u2fly wrote: But, what I desperately want to avoid is to spend considerable time to lean how to use Vulkun only to see Vulkun just fading away. I wasted too much time to learn Direct3D9. Microsoft ditched it in Direct X10. If I knew my knowledge in DirectX9 becomes useless in such a short time, I definitely wouldn't have wasted time learning Direct3D9. I learned from it. I will never spend time learning Direct X12.
So does this mean he's just going to let D3D rot and focus only on OpenGL....? I can't help but notice how most of the updates in visual aspects are centered around GL2. D3d has barely even changed a bit compared to the OpenGL versions of YS (may be wrong, just my experience..). Does anybody else have this worry as well? I'm not sure how many other people have computers that can run GL1 or 2.
AdmiralKew
Favorite Aircraft: F-22 Raptor, Spitfire, P51 Mustang, etc...

Post by AdmiralKew »

Swift wrote:
u2fly wrote: But, what I desperately want to avoid is to spend considerable time to lean how to use Vulkun only to see Vulkun just fading away. I wasted too much time to learn Direct3D9. Microsoft ditched it in Direct X10. If I knew my knowledge in DirectX9 becomes useless in such a short time, I definitely wouldn't have wasted time learning Direct3D9. I learned from it. I will never spend time learning Direct X12.
So does this mean he's just going to let D3D rot and focus only on OpenGL....? I can't help but notice how most of the updates in visual aspects are centered around GL2. D3d has barely even changed a bit compared to the OpenGL versions of YS (may be wrong, just my experience..). Does anybody else have this worry as well? I'm not sure how many other people have computers that can run GL1 or 2.
Mine certainly can't run OpenGL 2. It can 'run' YSFlight 1.x at around 10-15 FPS with default planes on Aomori.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

Swift wrote:
It seems so, Swift. D3D v9 is almost 15 years old (2002), and is ancient - The industry is moving away from Direct3D, mainly because of it being windows-exclusive, closed source and to some, a royal pain in the ass to work with, I'm not surprised Soji is abandoning D3D. Sure, it'll hurt slower computers, but unfortunately that's how things are and always will be. You can't really do much with a 15 year old API, I mean - look at NPAPI, which was created for Netscape. It's been used for 21 years (1995), and Browsers and plugins are slowly transitioning to it's derivative successor, PPAPI or Pepper.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
Deleted User 2433

Nodoka Hanamura wrote:
Swift wrote:
It seems so, Swift. D3D v9 is almost 15 years old (2002), and is ancient - The industry is moving away from Direct3D, mainly because of it being windows-exclusive, closed source and to some, a royal pain in the ass to work with, I'm not surprised Soji is abandoning D3D. Sure, it'll hurt slower computers, but unfortunately that's how things are and always will be. You can't really do much with a 15 year old API, I mean - look at NPAPI, which was created for Netscape. It's been used for 21 years (1995), and Browsers and plugins are slowly transitioning to it's derivative successor, PPAPI or Pepper.
Sad when I get better framerate in FSX using payware addons than I do in YS sometimes
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

Having textures in your game is a double edged sword. On one hand, they allow you to get away with much less pretty 3d models. (HD addons in YS have more detail than models from many modern flight sims). On the other hand, they require large video memory pools (for 4k textures you need a video card with a minimum of 4gb, 6gb would be best)

When Soji built this game large gddr5 memory video cards didn't even exist yet
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

Nodoka Hanamura wrote:
Doomsday wrote:
Nodoka Hanamura wrote: What's Project Atlas?
Here
... given recent events, I'll I'm going to say is this - and I say this PERSONALLY, not as a adminstrator -

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

I got good news from CaptainYS today (after two month from my message to him)!
Soji Yamakawa wrote:Hi u2fly,
--
I'm sorry for late reply. YSFLIGHT development has been (visually) slow. I was more working on internals. One visible change that will come soon will be shadow-mapping in YSFLIGHT on OpenGL 2.0/ES2.0. I posted some screenshots. Also, multi- language input. Right now only ASCII characters can be used in the chat. The new version will allow typing non-ASCII characters. (YSFLIGHT for Linux excluded since I cannot find how to take non-ASCII character input.)

Polygon Crest has grown more dramatically, but I was too lazy to update it. It will be updated soon.

I spent a month or so to write a tool for making a map of a Retro game by stitching screenshots together.

I will post this program as well.

Thanks!
--
- Soji,
4.01.2017, 20:10
I hope he will find the way how input non-ASCII on Linux before release it. Also, tomorrow I will write him new letter with some future requests and issues reports.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight (Test) ver.20170122 RELEASED!
Soji Yamakawa wrote:2017/01/22
CHANGELOG:
  • Multi-Language Input. Except Linux.
  • Calculate transformation matrices in CPU in double precision. This substantially reduces the shaking effect when the view point is far away from the origin without much performance penalty. By the way, in early days, a major misunderstanding was that the matrix calculation was taking much of the computation in graphics. It was wrong. Z-Buffering was the major headache around 1990 to 2000.
  • YSFLIGHT on OpenGL 2.x uses shadow-mapping to draw shadow. Now aircrafts and ground objects cast shadow nicely. By the way, in the process of implementing, I have tried Cascaded Shadow Map, which turned out to be utterly useless. Most of, probably more than 99%, of the recent graphics techniques cannot be used in the scene which covers 20 miles square. I ended up coming up with my ad-hoc shadow-volume calculation, which I think worked out well.
  • Start-Position search box in the new-flight dialog.

DOWNLOAD >>> http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/ysflight/y ... tvere.html
P.S.: Linux & Mac OS X versions included in single ZIP archive! Windows version possibly will work only with OpenGL (no more DirectX support).

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight (Test) ver.20170313 RELEASED!
Soji Yamakawa wrote:
  • Console Server for macOS
  • Maps are now drawn with depth-test turned on. I think elevated maps are drawn correctly.
DOWNLOAD >>> http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/ysflight/y ... tvere.html
P.S.: Linux & Mac OS X versions included in single ZIP archive! Windows version possibly will work only with OpenGL (no more DirectX support).

(31 DEC 2016)
Deleted User 2433

(no more DirectX support)
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

I'm sure open gl 1 works fine. Btw, anyone who can only use direct x, pm me if you want advice on the cheapest way to equip your pc with an open gl compatible card. If you're on a laptop, you have my condolences. :|
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
fikrikawakibi
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Zephyr HAPS, ScanEagle, Citation X+, A340, 成都 歼-20

Post by fikrikawakibi »

I can run any type of YS with built in intel graphic card. The way I choose which to run is what plane I'll be flyin with. I run direkt 3d to fly with detailed planes. With graphically light planes like 2ch, open GL runs properly
Judah14
Favorite Aircraft: VF-31A Kairos

Post by Judah14 »

OpenGL 1 works fine on my laptop with an Intel graphics card and as I run Ubuntu GNU/Linux Direct3D is not available for me.
Shipbucket.com - a database of uniformly-scaled ship drawings
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFLIGHT Test Version 20170314
Soji Yamakawa wrote:03/14/2017
Sorry, Shadow-Map was off in the package I uploaded yesterday. It is fixed in the new package.
DOWNLOAD - http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/ysflight/y ... tvere.html

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight Test Version 20180314
Soji Yamakawa wrote:2018/03/14
  • Can put SRF models in FLD. (Can be done from the Scenery Editor). Very long time ago, FLD had this feature but the collision was checked against the bounding box. In this update, the collision is checked per polygon. I really wanted to add field-specific ground object, but anyway SRF in FLD is also needed for complex terrain.
  • Bug fix: If a DNM model defines rotation based on STATE 0, new data structure was not transforming it as intended. Sorry, I was not clear about which of no-transformation or STATE-0 is the base orientation. I was thinking to make it no-transformation, but looks like there are many models that are assuming STATE-0 is the base. I'm leaning toward making STATE-0 as the base orientation.
  • Bug fix: Fireball renderer was not clearing Emissive color in D3D9 code.
  • I'm also experimenting with unit-test scripts. So far I was able to automate selecting all items in Simulation menu, selecting all default fields, and some config items. I need to automate testing file menus and network features.
YSFLIGHT Status
Soji Yamakawa wrote:2018/04/07

YSFLIGHT Status

I've been asked when I release the next stable version. Sorry. I haven't been able to take time for pre-release test [s]because I spent too much time for retro RPGs[/s]. Actually YSFLIGHT grew feature-rich a lot more than I was originally expecting and it is very difficult to manually test many of these features. So, one of the effort I am doing is to automate such tests. I tried several different ways, but the latest scripting is working nicely. For example, now I can automatically select all of the Simulation menus or I can automatically select all of the default aircrafts and fields in the new-flight dialog to make sure the program does not crash. It is amazing to see my test scripts go through many test items for different versions of YSFLIGHT in a few minutes that were taking more than an hour.

Also I am able to test with some different configurations. The work load for the testing will substantially be reduced if I am able to automate tests of many of the configuration items. But it cannot detect the crash, so I need to be in front of the monitor. That's one of the remaining problems.

Looking back, I have added so many features compared to the current stable version. It is a good time to take time for pre-release test and make it official.

I also spend some time occasionally for at least making YSFLIGHT auto-demo for iOS and Android. But, the major road blocking is I need to set up build separately for those two platforms. I cannot really type "cmake ~/development" to set up build environment.

I had a feeling that I forgot something....

Turned out I was totally forgetting about a meeting.

When I am writing a paper or a code it is too easy to forget about time. Also it is easy to lose track of what meetings I got and what meetings are cancelled. If I muted my iPhone for my class and forgot unmuting, things get out of control.

I'm really curious how other people mage their schedule while writing papers and codes, teaching a class, and attending hundreds of meetings.
Details - http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/main/e2018.html

(31 DEC 2016)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Soji wrote:Actually YSFLIGHT grew feature-rich a lot more than I was originally expecting
Nah, ya think? KISS!
Soji wrote:But it cannot detect the crash
How in the world...
Soji wrote:YSFLIGHT auto-demo for iOS and Android
Soji wrote:Actually YSFLIGHT grew feature-rich a lot more than I was originally expecting
Are you taking the mick now or?
Soji wrote:'m really curious how other people mage their schedule
Microsoft Outlook miidude.

Ya gutta use that calendar and tasks list!

I also use "If This, Then That" for giving me reminders to unmute my phone and mute it for meetings and the like.

----

Take your sweet time with the new update Soji. I won't be downloading it.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!