New things from Soji

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
Deleted User 2433

Re: New things from Soji

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

u2fly wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 amI've been asked when I release the next stable version. Sorry. I haven't been able to take time for pre-release test [s]because I spent too much time for retro RPGs[/s]. Actually YSFLIGHT grew feature-rich a lot more than I was originally expecting and it is very difficult to manually test many of these features. So, one of the effort I am doing is to automate such tests. I tried several different ways, but the latest scripting is working nicely. For example, now I can automatically select all of the Simulation menus or I can automatically select all of the default aircrafts and fields in the new-flight dialog to make sure the program does not crash. It is amazing to see my test scripts go through many test items for different versions of YSFLIGHT in a few minutes that were taking more than an hour.

I really don't want to sound rude here but...
u2fly wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 amI also spend some time occasionally for at least making YSFLIGHT auto-demo for iOS and Android
Okay now I have to say it. (This is NOT an attack on Soji) You can't take the time to actually test out the builds you release, which leads to more bugs being introduced into the game. So you develop scripts to test YS for you. While it's ingenious it's also incredibly lazy. Not only that but deciding to develop mobile versions of YS? You can barely handle the "workload" of the three PC versions as it is! The game has spent over twenty years in development (on and off since 1995). I understand you're a one man show but it's really becoming obvious that you just don't give a damn about it.

With the last test build you introduced textured smoke, got peoples attention too! It looked nice and all, but you introduced another bug that totally destroyed the cockpit view. With the introduction of bling that nobody really asked for instead of actually optimizing the game for the more expansive hardware you're starting to worry me. With Space Engineers fresh in my mind too, they added things nobody asked for while ignoring the problems with the game that could be fixed to make it a better experience for all.

HQ has capable coders that i'd imagine would be all too happy to take the baton and make YS something that stands out. We don't need textured smoke, better shadows, or heaven forbid light bloom if that's ever introduced. What we NEED is to see this game turn from a mess of garbled code into the iconic game that it used to be. We've had twenty years of sitting back and asking, it's time you let the community take the reigns.

I honestly apologize if this post sounded rude, it's just been boiling up inside for a while and I had to get it out.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight 20180422 Test
Soji Yamakawa wrote: http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/ysflight/y ... tvere.html

2018/04/22
  • Separated ILS view (default F6) and Tower view (default F8).
  • Looks like a standard definition of magnetic variation is West=minus and East=plus. I was calculating opposite. I reversed it to align with the standard. Thank you for pointing it out!
  • Fly -> Select Aircraft -> Fly -> Retry Previous Flight was resetting the aircraft to the first player aircraft. Now it will start in the last aircraft.
  • Auto-Test script

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

F6 and F8? Why not F6 and F9? F7 and F8 have recently been different outside view settings (fixed heading relative to the map vs fixed relative to the plane). Will we lose one of those to regain what was F9? Will we be able to reassign tower view to F9 and restore F6/7/8/9 to proper views?

EDIT: If we lose Fixed relative to the plane outside view, that will basically be the breaking point for me. I will not even try to adapt to losing that ability.
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

Neocon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:56 amFWill we be able to reassign tower view to F9 and restore F6/7/8/9 to proper views?
You should be able to, currently you can reassign your viewpoint key assignment to a different keystroke.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I just checked, and in the current test version, F6 is ILS, F7 and F8 work as they have, and F9 is tower view. In other words, we're back to the old-style assignments with split ILS and Tower. The Captain did good on that one. :)
EDIT: Also F7/F8 cycle between the two styles of exterior view, making having both keys for that purpose a little redundant anyway.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Just curious, what FPS are you getting (if you've checked)?

Very glad the viewpoints are back to what they were prior to version 2015.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Neocon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 amI just checked, and in the current test version, F6 is ILS, F7 and F8 work as they have, and F9 is tower view. In other words, we're back to the old-style assignments with split ILS and Tower.
EDIT: Also F7/F8 cycle between the two styles of exterior view, making having both keys for that purpose a little redundant anyway.
Strange, but on Linux by default F6 is ILS, F8 is tower view, and F7 cycle between the two styles of exterior view.

Here are defaults key assignments (exported from "YSFlight 20180422 Test" on Linux):

Code: Select all

AXS 0 0 AILERON 
AXS 0 1 ELEVATOR 
AXS 0 2 THROTTLE 
AXS 0 3 RUDDER 
AXS M 0 TURRETHDG 
AXS M 1 TURRETPCH 
TRG 0 0 FIREWEAPON
TRG 0 1 SELECTWEAPON
TRG 0 2 RADAR
TRG 0 3 DISPENSEFLARE
KEY SPACE FIREWEAPON
KEY 1 BOMBBAYDOOR
KEY 2 SELECTWEAPON
KEY 3 RADAR
KEY 4 DISPENSEFLARE
KEY 7 ROTATEVORLEFT
KEY 8 ROTATEVORRIGHT
KEY 9 CHANGEHUDCOLOR
KEY A THROTTLEDOWN
KEY B SPOILERBRAKE
KEY C RUDDERRIGHT
KEY F FLAPDOWN
KEY G LANDINGGEAR
KEY H LOOKLEFT
KEY I TOGGLELIGHT
KEY J LOOKUP
KEY K LOOKRIGHT
KEY L OPENVORMENU
KEY M LOOKBACK
KEY N LOOKDOWN
KEY O OPENSUBWINDOWMENU
KEY P CYCLESMOKESELECTOR
KEY Q THROTTLEUP
KEY R FLAPUP
KEY S PROPBACKWARD
KEY T AUTOTRIM
KEY U LOOKFORWARD
KEY V VELOCITYINDICATOR
KEY W PROPFORWARD
KEY X RUDDERCENTER
KEY Z RUDDERLEFT
KEY F1 COCKPITVIEW
KEY F2 OUTSIDEPLAYERVIEW
KEY F3 COMPUTERAIRPLANEVIEW
KEY F4 WEAPONVIEW
KEY F5 CHANGEAIRPLANE
KEY F6 ILSVIEW
KEY F7 OUTSIDEPLAYERVIEW2
KEY F8 CONTROLTOWERVIEW
KEY F9 SWITCHVIEWTARGET
KEY F10 GHOSTVIEW
KEY F12 INFLTMESSAGE
KEY PAUSEBREAK PAUSESIMULATION
KEY BS OPENAUTOPILOTMENU
KEY TAB AFTERBURNER
KEY ENTER OPENRADIOCOMMMENU
KEY CTRL INFLIGHTCFG
KEY INS TRIMDOWN
KEY DEL TRIMUP
KEY HOME OPENSUPPLYDLG
KEY PAGEUP NOZZLEUP
KEY PAGEDOWN NOZZLEDOWN
KEY SEMICOLON TOGGLEALLDOOR
KEY COMMA CYCLESENSITIVITY
KEY DOT REVERSETHRUST
KEY WHEELUP VIEWZOOM
KEY WHEELDOWN VIEWMOOZ
DZELV2 0.030
DZAIL2 0.030
DZRUD2 0.030
HATSW TRUE
On Linux by default key assignments stored as ../Documents/YSFLIGHT.COM/YSFLIGHT/config/ctlassign.cfg, that created on first changes in key assignments settings.

But if look inside distributed file ../Documents/YSFLIGHT.COM/config/ctlassign.cfg, then I see that its look like you got on Windows:

Code: Select all

AXS 0 0 AILERON 
AXS 0 1 ELEVATOR 
AXS 0 2 THROTTLE 
AXS 0 3 RUDDER 
AXS M 0 TURRETHDG 
AXS M 1 TURRETPCH 
TRG 0 0 FIREWEAPON
TRG 0 1 SELECTWEAPON
TRG 0 2 RADAR
TRG 0 3 DISPENSEFLARE
KEY SPACE FIREWEAPON
KEY 1 BOMBBAYDOOR
KEY 2 SELECTWEAPON
KEY 3 RADAR
KEY 4 DISPENSEFLARE
KEY 7 ROTATEVORLEFT
KEY 8 ROTATEVORRIGHT
KEY 9 CHANGEHUDCOLOR
KEY A THROTTLEDOWN
KEY B SPOILERBRAKE
KEY C RUDDERRIGHT
KEY F FLAPDOWN
KEY G LANDINGGEAR
KEY H LOOKLEFT
KEY I TOGGLELIGHT
KEY J LOOKUP
KEY K LOOKRIGHT
KEY L OPENVORMENU
KEY M LOOKBACK
KEY N LOOKDOWN
KEY O OPENSUBWINDOWMENU
KEY P CYCLESMOKESELECTOR
KEY Q THROTTLEUP
KEY R FLAPUP
KEY S PROPBACKWARD
KEY T AUTOTRIM
KEY U LOOKFORWARD
KEY V VELOCITYINDICATOR
KEY W PROPFORWARD
KEY X RUDDERCENTER
KEY Z RUDDERLEFT
KEY F1 COCKPITVIEW
KEY F2 OUTSIDEPLAYERVIEW
KEY F3 COMPUTERAIRPLANEVIEW
KEY F4 WEAPONVIEW
KEY F5 CHANGEAIRPLANE
KEY F6 ILSVIEW
KEY F7 OUTSIDEPLAYERVIEW2
KEY F8 OUTSIDEPLAYERVIEW3
KEY F9 CONTROLTOWERVIEW
KEY F10 GHOSTVIEW
KEY F12 INFLTMESSAGE
KEY PAUSEBREAK PAUSESIMULATION
KEY BS OPENAUTOPILOTMENU
KEY TAB AFTERBURNER
KEY ENTER OPENRADIOCOMMMENU
KEY CTRL INFLIGHTCFG
KEY INS TRIMDOWN
KEY DEL TRIMUP
KEY HOME OPENSUPPLYDLG
KEY PAGEUP NOZZLEUP
KEY PAGEDOWN NOZZLEDOWN
KEY SEMICOLON TOGGLEALLDOOR
KEY COMMA CYCLESENSITIVITY
KEY DOT REVERSETHRUST
KEY WHEELUP VIEWZOOM
KEY WHEELDOWN VIEWMOOZ
DZELV2 0.030
DZAIL2 0.030
DZRUD2 0.030
HATSW TRUE
So, maybe on Windows "YSFlight 20180422 Test" got this key assignments by default?

:idea: Patrick, try delete on your Windows PC key assignments files ../Documents/YSFLIGHT.COM/config/ctlassign.cfg and ../Documents/YSFLIGHT.COM/YSFLIGHT/config/ctlassign.cfg and restart "YSFlight 20180422 Test"!

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

@u2fly
Well, of course. I didn't think of that. Well, then, that explains that. Actually, I like that because now I can set F8 as tower view and F9 to switch between aircraft targets in tower view, which I think was how it was in the good old days.

@Turbofan
Frame rates are horrible for me in the stock Hawaii map on all versions. I get 40fps on my Hawaii map, but only 10-20 in the stock map at max graphics settings (Ctrl > 3). I don't want to ask questions. ;)
EDIT: I installed my Hawaii map on the test version and I get 8-10 fps parked at HNL terminal.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Anybody else can confirm that in "YSFlight 20180422 Test" still exist issue with flight control in "Landing practice" mode -- impossible to control "ailerons" and "elevator"?

I detect it since first 2017 test versions and in 20180422 this issue still exist for me (I use Linux on own PC).

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight 20180519

2018/05/19
  • I think this time I really fixed the magnetic heading and true heading consistency. By the way, I made the sign back to the previous. (In YSFLIGHT West is positive.)
  • ARTCC was not giving higher than 10000ft, which was awkward for a long cross country in a jet airplane. Now it gives up to the altitude specified in the aircraft data (Actually, the descending instruction was supposed to be given +6000, +3000, and then +1500 of the destination airport, but for some reason the current ATC skips +3000. I'm looking into the problem.)
DOWNLOAD - https://ysflight.org/download/

P.S.: Still detect issue with flight control in "Landing practice" mode -- impossible to control "ailerons" and "elevator" (at least, on Linux).

Anybody know actual Soji's e-mail? Tell me in PM, because his old e-mail look like not working.

(31 DEC 2016)
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Another excellent addition to the YSF family... :roll:
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

As a once active member of the YS community, I don't know one single person who even uses these features.

There are some underlying big issues with this game (and have been for years) and for whatever reason continues not to address. I'll never understand the logic.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

If I wanted to play FSX, I'd play FSX.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight 2018 coming soon...
Soji Yamakava aka 'CaptainYS' wrote: http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/main/e2018.html

2018/06/20

(...)

Here's one news. I was porting my libraries to Android. Hopefully I can talk more about mobile programming in the spring semester course. YSFLIGHT kernel runs on Android now. It's not quite playable, but I am thinking to make a YSFLIGHT player for running demos and re-playing what you record in a PC. I set my goals of the summer as:
  • (...)
  • Make YSFLIGHT 2018 official stable release.
  • Release YSFLIGHT Player for Android and iOS.
That's what I was thinking to do, when Apple dropped a bombshell. OpenGL and OpenGL ES will be unavailable in macOS and iOS in the future OS versions. I was somewhat expecting it when Apple announced Metal. At the same time, I was hoping Apple to maintain relatively higher-level and standard graphics APIs. The expectation was shattered into pieces by this announcement.

Microsoft tried to drop OpenGL in Windows Vista once. Then developers around the world criticized the decision, and Microsoft withdrew the idea. OpenGL is, although officially up to version 1.1, still supported as a part of Win32 API. In Universal Windows Platform Microsoft implemented OpenGL ES 2.0 on top of Direct X and therefore is still part of the Windows API. But, probably Apple won't listen.

At least OpenGL should be available for a while, there is a possibility that YSFLIGHT is not available for Mac and development for iOS suspended at least for a short time.

I'm looking into Vulkan API by the way. One of the big problems of current programming is, in my view, that the graphics API has too much influence on the program and data structures. I see a lot of "to extract the best performance from GPU" while I read through Vulkan documentations and tutorials. Tell you what I want to say to them? "Shut the mouth up." I am not competing a Hollywood movie. I won't need the maximum performance from GPU. I rather want to know cleaner and maintainable way. I personally believe correctness and maintainability is more important than performance.
P.S.: If anybody know actual Soji Yamakawa e-mail (because PEB01130@... look like outdated), please, tell me it via PM! I must tell him about few bugs that should be fixed before release YSFLIGHT 2018.

(31 DEC 2016)
Neil
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: C-17 Globemaster

Post by Neil »

Meh.
At first I used to get angry, now I try to be amused.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

I personally believe correctness and maintainability is more important than performance.
Really.
Deleted User 1872

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

YSFlight 20180704 Test & SceneryEditor 20180704 Test
2018/07/04
  • I'm thinking to start pre-release test based on this version.
  • Fixed VOR OBS indication. (I should make a Pittsburgh map so that I can positively check heading/OBS indications...)
  • Scenery Editor: Prevent Color-Palette Dialog disappearance.
DOWNLOAD:
P.S.: Anybody, if you know actual Soji's e-mail tell me it in PM!
I need contact with Soji as found few bugs that should be fixed before release.

(31 DEC 2016)
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

Soji wrote: I'm looking into Vulkan API by the way. One of the big problems of current programming is, in my view, that the graphics API has too much influence on the program and data structures. I see a lot of "to extract the best performance from GPU" while I read through Vulkan documentations and tutorials. Tell you what I want to say to them? "Shut the mouth up." I am not competing a Hollywood movie. I won't need the maximum performance from GPU. I rather want to know cleaner and maintainable way. I personally believe correctness and maintainability is more important than performance.
I have no words, for once I am speechless. And it took me this long to catch it.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

u2fly wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:11 pmP.S.: Anybody, if you know actual Soji's e-mail tell me it in PM!
I need contact with Soji as found few bugs that should be fixed before release.
u2fly, If you emailed Soji's publicly shown email it will get to him. It is slow but he does check it.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database