New things from Soji

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
Av8Tor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 737

Re: New things from Soji

Post by Av8Tor » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm confused is this a YSFlight forum or an X-Plane forum?

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Of course aircraft quality,scenery accuracy and effects matter.All of it adds to the overall feel and quality of a flight.But combat pilots are more concerned with speed and maneuverability while engaging from the merge.Most of them could care less what the ground looks like until of course they are screaming headfirst towards it :lol: .But this system is not just about combat nor should it be.Its about people who like to fly in all the various ways that can be done no matter how esoteric that may be.One of the reason this site and the others like it are devoted to Ysflight exists is to promote continued development of it.Not only by Soji but by all our members.Although we do not have creative control directly of the core program we do have suggestive input into it.And for the most part Soji is responsive to our input as his time allows.But we do have creative control of our scenery's our aircraft and the general ambiance of the game.Basically what I am saying is we should never settle for good enough for Ys. In my past developments of scenery's I have alway striven to go just a little beyond the boundary to get that feel of actual flying from the cockpit that is also one of the reasons I no longer fly combat.Combat flight in Ys does not lend itself to my personal philosophy of flying or development.Their philosophy is less lag[More speed]mine is who gives a s--t about lag[More detail] :lol: But lest you think that I consider combat in Ys a a redheaded step child think again.Combat devotees have created some of the most delectable aircraft I have ever seen in Ys and also created some 3rd party apps and programs that have enhanced Ys and its enjoyability for all of us.
Image[/align=centre]

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:35 pm

One thing that would deeply interest me is more enhanced and real flight phsycics and features (i.e. turbulence) and interaction with other objects like jetways and other aircraft.

Again like gunny said it all dependent on Soji and YS's mass user group suggestions.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

New things from Soji

Post by Midnight Rambler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 am

Soji wrote:I gave up making official YSFLIGHT 2014 version. I'll try to go over pre-release test early next year to make it official soon. By the way, I am reading bug reports. Thank you very much. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Sorry about the late reply....
Last proper update was in 2012?

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

New things from Soji

Post by VNAF ONE » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:00 am

I give up on Soji's support of the game. Glad he's wrapping it up and hopefully he'll fix the bugs but maybe he should just let the HQ take ownership from here?
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Gunny

New things from Soji

Post by Gunny » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:33 am

I am thinking it stopped being a pleasantly distracting hobby and started being an overbearing and demanding burden :(
Image[/align=centre]

Neil
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Harrier GR9

New things from Soji

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:10 am

VNAF ONE wrote:...but maybe he should just let the HQ take ownership from here?
This. With all due respect to Soji the stock content and even the website is stuck in the past and badly needs a refresh...if HQ took ownership and ysflight.org became the new official homepage for the game and default planes and maps actually were aesthetically pleasing, maybe just maybe, more people may be interested.

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

New things from Soji

Post by Barr » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't think he's quitting development. He just quit on trying to release a stable version for 2014. If you guys read his early '14 late '13 blog posts he wanted to release a major update in 2014.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

New things from Soji

Post by Scarecrow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:44 pm

One step of giving up only provokes more of the same step.

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Gunny

New things from Soji

Post by Gunny » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:46 pm

I just read it myself.He is not quiting just simply postponing the update till later.Keep in mind he has a lot of other thing on his plate besides Ys to deal with.And just because we donate we still do not have the right to dictate to him.And I doubt vary much he will hand over the source codes to anyone.Also keep in mind this is strictly his own project that he decided to share with us he has no obligation to us except what he feels himself is right and proper.So keep your shirts on kids things will progress as they will and at his pace not ours.
Image[/align=centre]

Venom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15E Strike Eagle

New things from Soji

Post by Venom » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Scarecrow wrote:One step of giving up only provokes more of the same step.

This.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

New things from Soji

Post by Midnight Rambler » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46 pm

Gunny wrote:I just read it myself.He is not quiting just simply postponing the update till later.Keep in mind he has a lot of other thing on his plate besides Ys to deal with.And just because we donate we still do not have the right to dictate to him.And I doubt vary much he will hand over the source codes to anyone.Also keep in mind this is strictly his own project that he decided to share with us he has no obligation to us except what he feels himself is right and proper.So keep your shirts on kids things will progress as they will and at his pace not ours.
Sure, I can understand that. It's just very frustrating that he adds not so useful features when errors that have been there forever don't get fixed (plane errors, server connection, server controls, etc).

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

New things from Soji

Post by Flake » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:31 am

VNAF ONE wrote:Maybe he should just let the HQ take ownership from here?
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Gunny

New things from Soji

Post by Gunny » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 am

Well MR it pretty much depends on what spectrum of the game you are looking at.From my view he has added a couple of nice little toys to play with being on the civilian side.But I can understand the combat pilots frustration as well seeing that on servers you are at the mercy of distance lag and a few other shortcomings related to speed and maneuverability on the servers.But to be fair on the A/C errors I think that is more contributable to the A/C creator[.lst and .dat errors] then his programing of the server.And do not get me wrong everyone has the God given right to complain ;) I am just saying when you do make it useful and give him suggestions or alternatives to work with as I know most do.But also this is not his job specialty he is a talented amateur game maker not a pro.If he was we would be paying through the nose for it ;)
Oh and P.S. If it was possable to take it over I think you would be the one to do it Flake :)
Image[/align=centre]

TheJuli
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: B777

New things from Soji

Post by TheJuli » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:24 pm

He took a piss at ys when he made the ground shine! Aircraft reflection was awesome but why the damn ground! Secondly if he would want to make the game even better he would have added a sun and texture support for the ground a long time ago. He made a special program just for making maps, so adding these features is not necessarily difficult for him. I think its pride whats letting him not release the source code. If he would make parts of the game open source, people could fix little bugs and add snippets and he could review them and maybe even add those community "patches" or new stuff on the on the game. I know its his thing and its his right to do whatever he wants to do to the game, but if he wants the game to be more popular he needs to get it up to par, with at least better polygon management. I mean loading up one of Flasheart's Vulcans or CHF's 777 is enough to drop the fps a lot or even freeze the game. Or changing that default pattern for the sea and ground.(Its a little image that lays over the ground and sea to make it look less dull). Btw these are my opinions and how i see ys at my standpoint.

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

New things from Soji

Post by Turbofan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 am

I think the following more than clearly indicates that he's not quitting development, just that he missed the deadline for a 2014 release.
Soji Yamakawa wrote:I'll try to go over pre-release test early next year to make it official soon. By the way, I am reading bug reports. Thank you very much. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Sorry about the late reply.
And as far as I know, the ground reflection is an OpenGL 2.0 effect, he didn't do anything to make it happen (other than upgrading to OGL 2.0)
Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
ATRP: When used in my posts refers to "Air Traffic Replay Project"
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
My general rant: I will call them blended winglets, not Sharklets; There is no CEO, it's just simply put, an Airbus 319/320/321, or the 320NEO, 321NEO etc. I didn't land IN DAL, I landed AT DAL. On the other hand, I did land in Dallas.
-----------------------
Website GRID updated for 2019. New stuff in the works!
Turbofan's Terminal

Hi! I make average, undesirable, boring grey maps for YS Flight!

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

New things from Soji

Post by NightRaven » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:20 am

I support open-sourcing, but I have something similar in mind.

How about limited open-source? For example letting a few people that Soji can trust (*hint* flake) access the source code and fixing bugs/adding features where Soji has overlooked/no time for?

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

New things from Soji

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 am

That is what I'm usually referring to. I guess that's a better way to put it because I wouldn't really want a billion people doing all sorts of crazy things to it. Just people who want to do what the game needs to be more modern.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

New things from Soji

Post by iqmal_97 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:09 am

TheJuli wrote:[post]83014[/post] He took a piss at ys when he made the ground shine! Aircraft reflection was awesome but why the damn ground!
It's an unintentional side effect of porting Ys into OpenGL 2.0. I'm sure he didn't want that to happen as much as you do.
NightRaven wrote:[post]83028[/post] How about limited open-source?
IMO, that's the best possible way to continue develop new features for YS in an orderly fashion. I imagine that getting a few hands to help him out would reduce the workload he's experiencing.

As for my personal opinion in regards to Soji postponing the stable release, I don't mind that much actually. In fact, I'm kind of glad as it shows that he knows that the program is still unpolished and isn't going to release it in order to meet deadlines. Secondly, it gives the modding community some breathing space, for a lack of a better term. Modders will have more time to learn and familiarize themselves with the new features that the latest YS version comes with. Conversely, putting out new and radical features and functions too frequently and the community, primarily the modders, wouldn't be able to keep up with the changes, resulting in addons getting outdated really quick (i.e custom weapon skins and even lights)

Anyways, those were my 2 cents.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

New things from Soji

Post by Flake » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm sure with the OpenGL thing it's just a matter off turning off and on specular highlight effects at certain points in the rendering...

But at the same time I am well aware of the "you don't know what you don't know" and beleive me, I don't know.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!