Long time, no see!

Introductions, birthdays, and special announcements.
Harm
Favorite Aircraft: F/A-18C

Long time, no see!

Post by Harm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Hey all,

Many of the "vets" will remember me from the ysp days. I operated the phenomenon server and flew with the YSBlue Angels ages ago. Since then, I flew with the Virtual Blue Angels for 3 years as the opposing solo pilot and have secured an appointment to the United States Naval Academy. I am currently a Plebe, which means I spend every spare second of my miserable existence praying for this first year to come to an end, or browsing the internet for any-and-all things aviation. :lol: I will graduate in 2015 with a commission as an Ensign in the U.S. Navy and plan to head down to flight school following that to fly F/A-18s. I'm very glad to see the community is still up and running despite the demise of the ysp forum. I'm hoping I will be able to get out there flying one of these days. I'm sure you can imagine how tough it is to fit in the "fun stuff" here. I am also a private pilot (currently in VT-NA, the Naval Academy's competition flight team) and working on more ratings all the time. So, if anyone has any questions about the Navy, the Academy, Aviation, or want some mud on those who have been around here for quite some time, shoot me a pm!

Thanks!

Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Re: Long time, no see!

Post by Taskforce 58 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:26 pm

DUDE!!! Good to see you again!

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-86 Sabre

Post by Danny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Welcome back Harm - great to see you around again. Phenomenon has to be my all time favourite server, great atmosphere back in the day. :)

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Since there is a USMC option at the Academy I will simply say Simper Fi And welcome back Harm.You do us proud :D
Image[/align=centre]

Harm

Post by Harm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, gents (except for you sent, that's just.... weird :P I mean uh... New Navy!!?). It's great to be back! Gunny, you might be interested to know that my company officer here is Major Brian Chontosh, the Navy Cross winner. Naturally, he is trying to convince me to go the Marine-Air route. We'll see if he succeeds!
I need to say a big thanks a good job to you guys who worked so hard to put this thing together. It is very superior to YSP. The organization and documentation is absolutely fantastic, and it is much more friendly to the new guys. I'm hoping I can get my gov't issue laptop to run YS pretty well. I purchased a saitek cyborg (God I miss the pit back home :D ) which can be broken down and effectively stowed out of sight--an obvious bonus here!
Midshipman, U.S. Navy ----------------Image-------------------Go Navy, Beat Army!

Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Damn, you're doing great. Good luck at the Academy! I'm keeping HQ afloat over here, so if you find any leaks, tell me ASAP. :ugeek:
I make this website.

Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Some how it just seems weird to see HARM as a newest member.Just thinking in text.
Image[/align=centre]

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:17 pm

HOLY BOB IT'S HARM...
Welcome back.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

TB1
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 202 SQ RAF Sea King

Post by TB1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:38 pm

:D I reember you! Welcome back

[tb1]123[/tb1]

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 pm

:D

Welcome back Harm!

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Good Ol' Harm.

You and Beaker flying the YSBA Demo at St Maarteen is still a vivid memory of mine. :)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Wow it's awesome to see a veteran return from before my time in aerobatics. I've heard so much about you Harm and I'm an admirer of your accomplishments both virtual and real life. I myself have just received an NROTC Scholarship (Marine-option) so I plan to pursue USMC Aviation after school so we may meet in real life someday. Here I am a huge fan and contributor of aerobatic . . . stuff. It'd be awesome to fly with you sometime and I hope you get the chance to attend some shows in the future. It's also great to talk to an academy cadet and congratulations on your success so far as I am sure there's more to come for you. Good luck to you in your future goals and welcome back!
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:03 am

Welcome back to ys.

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:14 am

Shutter wrote:Welcome back to ys.
Oi you, keep it in your pants Mr. Stop getting so excited.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

Harm

Post by Harm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:33 am

Haha. Flake, those were the good ol' days. That was a fun map too. Did anyone ever pull of an airshow there? Fortunately, Beaker and I had the opportunity for a few more goes at that demo in the virtual blues. Now THAT was a blast. 8-)
VNAF ONE, great news man. I had an NROTC scholarship to Purdue and Embry Riddle. There are definitley days when I wonder what life would have been like, as i'm sure you can imagine! Hopefully we can get some flight time in soon and perhaps chat it up a little. I will say one thing, as a future NROTC Midshipman yourself, be sure that you make a clear distinction between the outstanding men and women known as Midshipmen who will be commissioned as officers in the United States Navy and Marine Corps and the mediocre "cadets" that attend the U.S. Air Force Country Club in Colorado Springs and the pathetic excuse of a Military Academy a little north of my present location. :lol: Beat Army! (It's a friendly rivalry. ;) UnbeaTEN! )
Aerobatics here are a great thing for a number of reasons. I can't tell you the leadership lessons I learned, believe it or not, just in organizing air shows and working with other 'type-A' individuals here. The ability to work with other highly motivated individuals is extremely valuable and will definitly put you above your peers in NROTC. It also helps you develop mental focus and enhances your ability to lead, motivate, and work cooperatively with others unlike any other type of flying, real or virtual. Communicating effectively without face-to-face interaction requires a whole new level of tact and clarity, and here is a great place to practice that. Soak it up! What schools are you considering?
Midshipman, U.S. Navy ----------------Image-------------------Go Navy, Beat Army!

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:40 am

Holy Cow!!! Those two schools EXACTLY are what my scholarship is going for. I'm waiting to get confirmation on which school however which is tearing away at me in the effort to make a Grand Canyon. I hope my leadership experience being a CO in MCJROTC this year and leading my drill team through several championships at various competitions hopefully to include the nationals this year will be enough to help me push through NROTC. I look forward to having the experience and look forward to the number of new connections I will make along the way. By the way, that Country Club has been my first choice for the last 5 years haha but I screwed that up myself and ended up realizing I wouldn't have wanted to go there in the long run anyways. I do feel that ys has really helped me as far as learning to lead different people. Especially being as diverse as this game is with people from around the world. These are the kind of connections I like to make in life anyways.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot

Harm

Post by Harm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:09 am

Good stuff man. NROTC should be a breeze; it's all mental. It's really great to see that you are already viewing even the smallest of activities through the leadership lens. That no doubt helped you in the interview process! Nice work! Be glad USAFA didn't work out. Nobody likes zoomies anyway. :P Stay motivated!
Since you're going USMC anyway, why don't you try for Annapolis?

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 am

I feel like a college life will suit me better than a military academy's. I'll probably stay with it and when I screwed up my USAFA application I screwed up the rest anyways haha.

Harm

Post by Harm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:14 am

Haha, gotcha. What part of Indiana are you from?

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:15 am

Good ole Indianapolis -_- Can't wait to get outta here