Master Race: A story of enlightenment

Introductions, birthdays, and special announcements.
Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18 Hornet

Post by Mobiyus » Wed May 13, 2015 8:06 pm

This is an opinionated story about my conversion to PC gaming; my rise from a peasant to master race.
The recent GTA V discussion gave me the idea for this topic.
Disclaimer: This piece of text is in no way intended to be objective! Please take it with a grain of salt
From the dawn of my gaming age, consoles have been my faithful friends; Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PS2 and PS3. Countless hours were spent with those machines. I regret nothing. The fun of sitting in the living room with friends, and just play! Maybe it’s nostalgia kicking in at this point, but one thing is sure, these are good memories.

However, in parallel, there was a world I was barely aware of… A world where the limitations would be set by your budget, not the machine itself… A world where sharewares and freewares would freely thrive… A world where everything is accessible, a few clicks away…
The conversion is not an easy one however; to leave the user-friendly world of consoles and join the not-so-user-friendly world of computers does require a bit of effort and dedication. Consoles hold your hand while computers kick you in the nuts. But when you can glimpse at what awaits you, it makes it infinitely easier and even pleasant.

My first experience of PC gaming happened at a very young age, too young to even understand what I was doing. The only thing I remember is that I used to start-up ‘’Grand Prix’’ from a MS-Dos OS. The game was fun for sure, but I couldn’t understand much of it, and even less of the computer itself. I didn’t think much about computers, and only used them as glorified MP3 players through my teen age. Then, at some point, I needed to make the change…

For me, the console-PC conversion was somewhat short and brutal, but oh rewarding. That’s actually a PS3 game that made me discover PC gaming; Dust 514, a First-Person shooter set in the universe of EVE Online. That’s what ticked me ; ‘’in the universe of EVE Online’’. How so? What does that mean exactly? What is EVE Online? The answers to those questions were to be found in the PC gaming world. After a quick research, I was hooked… I kept reading and reading on work time; forums, wiki, blogs… I NEEDED to play this game. I bought a cheap computer only to try out that game. From peasant to master race, I rose. I strongly recommend you take that quest too; your gaming life is not complete if you do not, at the very least, know a little about the pioneer that is CCP’s EVE Online. Now, I could go in lengthy details about the game, but I’ll give only these keywords and let your curiosity do the rest: MMORPG, Sandbox, Sci-Fi Sim, Real-Time XP earning, Persistent universe, Player-driven economy, Player-driven storyline, Emergent gameplay, Single shard universe and most importantly Griefing/Scamming allowed and non-consensual PVP. Yes, EVE Online is ALL of this. Also, just google: ''biggest online battle ever'' and the Battles of HED-GP and Asakai of EVE Online will come out...

I played EVE for a year or so and then had to stop because 1) financial reasons (it’s a subscription game) 2) I was really bad at it (the game is EXTREMELY challenging). Therefore, I was now on the quest for a new PC game that would hook me up. The choice was large.

Browsing CNET, I saw it and was curious; ‘’A free flight simulator, seems nice’’ I said to myself. Within a few minutes of fiddling, I was in the skies of YS flight. Off course I was not struck with the graphical component of YS, but in my learning of the game, I saw the network capabilities and wanted to learn more about it; ‘’If there’s multi-player, there must be servers and a community somewhere’’. That’s how I found about YSFHQ, the server list and mods. My first server connection was on CP’s and my username always been Mobiyus. It is with YS flight that I learned basic folder architecture, mod installation and port forwarding, amongst a lot of other small things. It is during my time in YS Flight that I discovered a whole world of apps, softwares and games just waiting to be used. PC Gaming is truly complete universes opening to you.

Even though I don’t regret my times with consoles, I just wish I knew about all this sooner. Today, my days of hard-core console gamer are a long way behind, and I look forward to my days of hard-core PC gamer, the incredible advances computers makes nearly every month. I look forward to the wealth of softwares in the making, just for us, the users. And above all... I praise our lord Gaben!

What about you guys? Share your relation with PC gaming and gaming in general!
Last edited by Mobiyus on Wed May 13, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN

Varren
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: Anything with wings.

Post by Varren » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 pm

K

jthomas105
Favorite Aircraft: Cessna 182

Post by jthomas105 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 pm

I played some EVE myself, mining with CAS, an NPC corp with a great little community attached. I had to quit that for the same reasons, no money, no time, but I did love that game. I grew up on the PC myself, and didn't get into consoles heavily until I met my wife, who introduced me to the joys of Halo. I sunk my time into SSI Gold Box games, Falcon3.0, and DooM (been modding that on and off for near 20 years :shock: ), and Half-Life the first time around(yes children it was that special, no, not as special as doom). So here I am, back in school, learning to program, noodling with ever improving open-source design software, and totally burnt out on story driven shooters and following little yellow question marks. To that end, I'm currently playing this (and enjoying civilian flight more than blowing things up, I must be getting old), and Kerbal Space Program, which tickles all my gamendorphin receptors except the giant robot one(it is moddable tho...).

Ace Lord
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Too many to list

Post by Ace Lord » Wed May 13, 2015 10:05 pm

So you worship Gabe Newell as if he were a supreme God and anyone who can't afford to buy a decent gaming PC or constantly keep it upgraded is a peasant? It baffles me how you could willingly choose to view the gaming world in a manner that is essentially a hybrid bastard child between the two largest perpetrators of genocide and mass murder to yet exist, Naziism and Roman Catholicism. What a waste of perfectly good blood and body parts you people are... I'm a PC gamer myself and even I can't take you seriously with that type of mentality on this subject.

P.S. Someone, at the very least, close this thread. Putting it lightly, any "discussion" of this subject will lead to absolutely nothing constructive.

Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mobiyus » Wed May 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Mobiyus wrote:Disclaimer: This piece of text is in no way intended to be objective!
I thought It was clear, I'll edit to be even more precise. My bad

EDIT: this was not to be taken to the letter, I'm sorry you don't get that second degree humor. Also my point is not to debate, not even prove something, but share a story... Off course I don't really praise Gabe Newell like a real god... who does?

EDIT 2: Really tho, I'm sorry if I offended you, that was not the intention. If an admin deems this topic inapropriate, so be it but I don't think so.
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 pm

:D

I thought it was funny. Sure computers are better, and sometimes I wish I had a better computer for gaming... But I like my computer for what I use it for now. I also like using consoles for gaming, mainly so I don't get obsessed with something.

Want a real debate? I had PS1 and 2 before jumping to the Xbox 360 and now Xbox One.

Therefore

Xbox>PS

Ace Lord
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ace Lord » Wed May 13, 2015 11:39 pm

Mobiyus wrote:EDIT: this was not to be taken to the letter, I'm sorry you don't get that second degree humor. Also my point is not to debate, not even prove something, but share a story... Off course I don't really praise Gabe Newell like a real god... who does?

^ That was your original post in summary for me. Same crap, different....well you get the picture.

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:43 pm

To me,the whole "Master Race" fiasco is just a cheeky label we PC gamers use to recognize that PC Gaming is virtually superior in every way to console gaming. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here's a reddit link to that's worth a readin' for the uninitiated.

Then again, I do like the occasional offensive comedy every now and then.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Copperhead
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: YF-23A Black Widow II

Post by Copperhead » Wed May 13, 2015 11:45 pm

HEIL WINDOWS XP

^The Murican^

"Well boys, I reckon this is it...nuclear combat toe to toe with the Ruskies." - Major Kong

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx » Thu May 14, 2015 12:17 am

Varren wrote:K
I'm being honest. I stumbled upon this hours earlier.
Mobiyus wrote:From peasant to master race, I rose. I strongly recommend you take that quest too; your gaming life is not complete if you do not
Some people (casual gamers) find it optimal to buy a console (relatively being cheaper 300-500 vs 900-2500). Consider your priorities and budget, especially if you're a student. But if you're a "hardcore" gamer with time and money to spend, there's no reason for you not to move forward.

Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday » Thu May 14, 2015 1:13 am

Ace Lord wrote:So you worship Gabe Newell as if he were a supreme God and anyone who can't afford to buy a decent gaming PC or constantly keep it upgraded is a peasant?
How could you insult our lord and savior?!

Just look at this glorious hunk of magnificence.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Spaceships I see when in a K hole

Post by Welshy » Thu May 14, 2015 1:18 am

It's not Gabe Newell. It's Lord Gay Ben according to like, all of the internet
YSRepo Supreme Overlord
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant

If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Thu May 14, 2015 1:29 am

A student the other day told me I look like Gabe Newell. This is the first time I've seen a picture of him. I don't see the resemblance.

Ace Lord
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ace Lord » Thu May 14, 2015 1:41 am

Doomsday wrote:How could you insult our lord and savior?!
What's a God to a non-believer?

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Thu May 14, 2015 6:37 pm

I remember my first computer. Some heavy old machine my mom got from her job during a renovation. Had the Wheel of fortune in 16bit colors and the marvelous beeping surround sound. And then my school had Pajama Sam and all his educational adventurous friends which a friend "stole" on some floppys and installed on that same old machine.

Then pops bought a Compaq Presario. That's when I started to really "game". King of the road 2, half life, SIM city, probass, runescape, etc. Still played my Nintendo 64, psone and ps2 often.

Then in my quest to find free stuffs I found the freeware/shareware hosting website and found ysflight I was pretty happy with it as I am a SIM fan but graphics were pretty crappy.

After a while like all gamers I started googling cheats and mods for ysflight. I first found the Realism site and from there I eventually found my way onto YSPilots.

That was basically my pc gaming experience. I only used it for simulators and msn chat and MySpace to chat with the girlies.

Now that I finally learned the process of making money with hardwork, blisters and sweat I got a machine for school and I'm slowly researching for some new software. But like before I currently have an array of simulators and modeling programs.

Also screw the pc master race, join the Forum of Gods by installing Gentoo.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mobiyus » Thu May 14, 2015 7:34 pm

Ace Lord wrote:
Mobiyus wrote:EDIT: this was not to be taken to the letter, I'm sorry you don't get that second degree humor. Also my point is not to debate, not even prove something, but share a story... Off course I don't really praise Gabe Newell like a real god... who does?

^ That was your original post in summary for me. Same crap, different....well you get the picture.
True that, I agree. But still, wanted to tell a story.

That being settled, and on a more serious note, I do enjoy best of both world :) Thank you for your replies guys, I enjoy the read and keep it going ;)
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN

NeurAxaL
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2

Post by NeurAxaL » Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 am

could we all stop syaing 'i cant afford a decent gaming pc'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoYgCROv14E

this can play battlefield 4 ultra at ~40 fps at 1080p, its $400. sure, you can get consoles for less, but remember, this is a full blown PC.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Sat May 16, 2015 11:53 am

I sort of can't justify spending $400 on another computer. I sold my 360 for $250 and spent another $100 to buy an Xbox one for $350 on Gumtree, effectively spending $100 to upgrade my Xbox.

My computer was $50 and does everything I need it to do. The only thing holding it back is Intel Graphics. I could have bought a computer, sure, but then I'd have 2 computers. One that I use, one that sits there not being used and no Xbox...

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Sat May 16, 2015 1:03 pm

it really all depends on what you need a computer for. If all you do is browse Facebook, YouTube and the like and write essays and reports for school then a 100 buck chromebook should be enough Or an old clearence sale on Pentium powered laptops at your local computer repair store.

If you want a little more functionality and ability to play some games and some required software for work/school while not having to worry about freeze ups or crashes then get something better Like an i3-i5 with 4gb of ram.

Now if you want to play Call of duty at a gazillion fps on four 4k 3d smellavision monitors recording it with fraps all while browsing the latest cat video on YouTube and writing your final course essay about evolution of the toilet paper roll and also checking your wired home security camera for the pizza boy to arrive and uploading all of spring breaks vacation photos to facebook then get this thing here
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx » Sat May 16, 2015 5:07 pm

NeurAxaL wrote:could we all stop syaing 'i cant afford a decent gaming pc'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoYgCROv14E

this can play battlefield 4 ultra at ~40 fps at 1080p, its $400. sure, you can get consoles for less, but remember, this is a full blown PC.
The f ck. I can't even get a decent laptop for $400.