[BOOK] Evolution of the Red Arrows — illustrated history of all the colour schemes and making variations (1964-2014)

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

[BOOK] Evolution of the Red Arrows — illustrated history of all the colour schemes and making variations (1964-2014)

Post by u2fly » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:38 pm

RCLibrary. wrote: An illustrated history of all the colour schemes and making variations, Gnats and Hawks, 1964-2014. Produced by the Aerobatic Display Teams Special Interest Group of IPMS(UK), the International Plastic Modellers Society. Commemorating the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team's 50th Display Season, 2014.

Compilation, design and all original artwork by Gary Siddall, Aerobatic Display Teams SIG Leader.

Direct submission to RCLibrary.
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (online + PDF) | updated 2019/04/25

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:
“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
(31 DEC 2016)

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Re: [BOOK] Evolution of the Red Arrows — illustrated history of all the colour schemes and making variations (1964-2014)

Post by Welshy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:11 pm

That top Gnat is a Yellowjack not a Red Arrow. Whilst commonly misconceived that they became the Reds this is incorrect, they were completely dispanded and replaced by the Reds.....
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: [BOOK] Evolution of the Red Arrows — illustrated history of all the colour schemes and making variations (1964-2014)

Post by u2fly » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Welshy wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:11 pm
That top Gnat is a Yellowjack not a Red Arrow. Whilst commonly misconceived that they became the Reds this is incorrect, they were completely dispanded and replaced by the Reds.....
Red Arrows team firstly equipped with Yellowjacks' Gnats in "yellow paint scheme" and only later it was repainted to "red paint scheme with arrows".
Wikipedia wrote: ...
Initially, they were equipped with seven Folland Gnat trainers inherited from the RAF Yellowjacks display team.
In 1964, all the RAF display teams were amalgamated, as it was feared pilots were spending too much time practising formation aerobatics rather than operational training. The new team name took the word "red" from the fact that the Yellowjacks' planes had been painted red (for safety reasons, as it was a far clearer and more visible colour in the sky) and "arrows" after the Black Arrows; the official version, however, is that the red was a tribute to the Red Pelicans.
Wikipedia wrote: ...
It was also thought that the team had maverick instincts, and needed to be brought into the mainstream so the team was officially reformed, in 1965, as The Red Arrows. The Red Arrows continued flying the Gnat until 1979 when it was superseded by the British Aerospace Hawk for the 1980 season.
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (online + PDF) | updated 2019/04/25

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:
“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
(31 DEC 2016)

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:27 pm

No the Yellowjack's aircraft were painted Red at the amalgamation of all RAF Aerobatic Teams to purely the Royal Air Force Aerobatics Team, they were yet to be named the Red Arrows. The Red part came from the fact that red aircraft are easier to spot against the sky (the RAF trialled many colours, including bright pink!). They then came up with arrows quite obviously from the previous Black Arrows, who were one of the teams amalgamated with the Yellowjacks to form the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team. At this point, they were yet to be called the Red Arrows, but it's same team different nickname.
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:46 am

So Welshy does sort of live in the UK, I trust he is correct on this matter.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!