Red Arrows Pilot killed in ground accident

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Red Arrows Pilot killed in ground accident

Post by Phoenix » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:39 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15640104
BBC wrote:A Red Arrows pilot has died after being ejected from an aircraft at the aerobatic team's base in Lincolnshire.

The RAF confirmed the pilot was ejected from a Hawk T1 jet while it was on the ground at RAF Scampton.

The Military Aviation Authority is carrying out an independent inquiry to determine the cause of the incident.

The RAF said its thoughts were with the pilot's family. It confirmed Red Arrows training had been suspended, but that RAF's Hawk T1 fleet would still fly.

The pilot's family has asked for a period of grace until his name is released.
He later died of his injuries.

RIP
Last edited by halberdier25 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed the url link; GODDAMMIT LEARN TO SUBMIT NEWS ARTICLES

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Re: Red Arrows Pilot killed in ground accident

Post by vandal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:49 pm

More sad times for the Red Arrows and their extended families, from engineers to pilots, friends to family and just us average fan.

The worrying factor in the story, other than the great loss of life. Is the ejector seat, it's a Martin-Baker Mk 10B zero-zero rocket-assisted ejection seat, the zero-zero is meant to mean that it can launch from 0 alt safely. This could have a huge impart on not just the RAF but air forces all around the world.
Click here and click on the 'variants' section to see a complete list of every nation and aircraft that uses this seat. So I really really hope there is not an issue with the seat.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:54 pm

So that's one of the reasons why they aren't performing for LIMA 2011 @ Langkawi this year. My sympathy and condolences.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Post by Timmayx » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 pm

RIP Sean Cunningham

There is something not right about this accident. Either it was a planned ejection and the chute has failed to open, or, what has probably happened in my opinion, it's an unplanned ejection and there is a serious issue with these seats.
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "

halberdier25
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by halberdier25 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:39 pm

I don't see why a mishap from an ejection on the ground is even remotely fishy; especially if it was accidental.