Ex-JFH Aircraft Brought By US Marines

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Ex-JFH Aircraft Brought By US Marines

Post by Timmayx » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 pm

The 74 strong fleet, plus spares, of Ex-Joint Force Harrier aircraft, are being sent to the US Marines in a deal that should hopefully ensure they can fly Harrier's till 2020.

More info on Joint Force Harrier

Only thing I'm curious about is which marks are being sent over and how they compare to the current US marine aircraft. I'd guess all the GR7A's and GR9A's will be going as they have the uprated engines, but I guess the standard GR7's & GR9's could be useful too. Note that the engines are not compatible between the standard and A variants of these aircraft.
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Re: Ex-JFH Aircraft Brought By US Marines

Post by Gunny » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Some of your defence ministry people need to have there hats handed to them.But my Marine will make good use of there cockup.A harrier pilots dream come true another couple of decades left before having to retrain on those god awfull F-35s. :D
Image[/align=centre]

Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Post by Timmayx » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:59 pm

All I have to say about the Marines is that no matter what utter shite people are spouting elsewhere, you know they are in the background ready to talk sense and get the tools for them to get the job done.

If it was left to me I'd have BAE go back to the drawing board, dig up the plans for the Supersonic Harrier and start from there for a new fighter.
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "

SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by SvenPhantom » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 am

Great to show that those Harriers are still getting a second chance for flying a bit more. But this also shows the Marine's lack of confidence in Congress to not cancel the F-35B.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.

halberdier25
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by halberdier25 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 am

SvenPhantom wrote:But this also shows the Marine's lack of confidence in Congress to not cancel the F-35B.
You need to pay more attention to the news.