Another write-off, sadly.

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
The Scarf Ace
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird. SPEED, HELL YEAH!
Location: Manaus, Amazonas, in a country of corrupt politicians and bad soccer.

Another write-off, sadly.

Post by The Scarf Ace » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 am

Something sad happened today. Another write-off. And this time, for an MD-11.
The aircraft that we are talking about here its from the charter airline Air Centurion. On landing runway 15 of the airport in the city of Campinas (The name of the airport is Viracopos), Brazil, the aircraft suffered the collapse of its left maingear resulting in serious damage to its left wing and engine. Both crewmembers remained unhurt. The MD-11 came to rest on its left engine #1 and the left wingtip. The left maingear became bogged underneath the left inner wing, where it sheared off the inner flaps. Its center gear sustained damage as well where at least one burst. The incident closed the only runway at Viracopos Airport for many hours until thecargo was offloaded and the aircraft was removed from the runway. At the time local weather consisted of strong winds in excess of 25 knots from 130 degrees.

NOTE: the same aircraft was previously involved in a another landing accident in Montevideo, Uruguay in Oct. 2009 when its right maingear suffered structural damage. Also, the damage to the aircraft was substantial, and the repair cost is far beyond the company's budget, and the 23 year old aircraft was written-off as a consequence. Another coincidence is that the aircraft had operated in Brazil, for VARIG, using the registration PP-VOP, and was written-off in the same country it operated. Sad.

Note II: I didn't saw this happening, nor it happened in my city, but it happened on my country, and I saw this particular airframe many times before, so it deserves to have a highlight here. It's really sad seeing such a magnificient aircraft out of its habitat.

Video of the already accidented aircraft:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... s_AQZj37yM[/youtube]
Image Member of the MST-Manaus Spotting Team Image

ImageBRAZIL: The country of corrupt politicians, beautiful women and bad soccer.Image

FEAR THE MIGHTY TEXT MAKER SQUADRON!!!!!

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Re: Another write-off, sadly.

Post by iqmal_97 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:08 am

It's always a pity when a majestic beast of the sky trashed on the ground. Hope it receives some repairs and back in flying condition as soon as possible.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas

Post by lorDuckFeet » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

I saw in the newspaper. It caused cancellations. and affected 240,000 passengers.

The Scarf Ace
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird. SPEED, HELL YEAH!
Location: Manaus, Amazonas, in a country of corrupt politicians and bad soccer.

Post by The Scarf Ace » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:10 pm

iqmal_97 wrote:It's always a pity when a majestic beast of the sky trashed on the ground. Hope it receives some repairs and back in flying condition as soon as possible.

Iqmal, unfortunately the aircraft will never return to the skies. It was towed to a remote position of the field of the airport, and it's awaiting to be scrapped.

-- Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm --
iqmal_97 wrote:It's always a pity when a majestic beast of the sky trashed on the ground. Hope it receives some repairs and back in flying condition as soon as possible.

Iqmal, unfortunately the aircraft will never return to the skies. It was towed to a remote position of the field of the airport, and it's awaiting to be scrapped.
Image Member of the MST-Manaus Spotting Team Image

ImageBRAZIL: The country of corrupt politicians, beautiful women and bad soccer.Image

FEAR THE MIGHTY TEXT MAKER SQUADRON!!!!!