US Air Shows

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

US Air Shows

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 am

Well, if you haven't heard already, many US air shows are in HUGE and REAL danger of not happening this year. The government is supposed to come on an agreement by Friday, March 1st, upon how to cut the Department of Defense's budget. If an agreement cannot be reached, an automatic "sequestration" will go into place, grounding the US Navy Blue Angels, US Air Force Thunderbirds, and many other public military events and displays. There are many many other things that sequestration will also impact, but I figured to you guys, this is most important.

Just tonight, I found out that the Indianapolis Air Show in Mt. Comfort, Indiana has been cancelled. This is my local air show in Indiana. This is a civilian run air show. Others have also done the same (I don't know of them specifically). Also, some Air Force Open Houses have cancelled this year as well including Luke AFB, JB Langley (Air Power over Hampton Roads), Seymour-Johnson AFB, and Dover AFB. It's likely not over yet. Expect to hear more news of more shows to cancel.

Indianapolis Air Show's press release: http://www.indyairshow.com/_PDFs/IASalert13.pdf

Why did I make this topic? Well, this isn't just going to affect the US. I know that many of you enjoy seeing some American aircraft such as the F-22, Thunderbirds, etc. at International Air Shows. Well, if sequestration goes through, you won't see any of them this year. Basically, the government considers them "non-essential to the mission" of protecting and defending the United States.

If any of you hear further information about any other events that may be falling into this group, please add.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

dustydan1995
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: MX2

Re: US Air Shows

Post by dustydan1995 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 am

Unfortunately, that cancels all plans for airshow trips, but at least there are still virtual airshows, and I can go to more concerts
"I wouldn't want God as my copilot because he'd be too good." "That mans swerving." "Where?" "Three minutes from now!" "Ahhh!" - Brad stine

Son: I am going to got buy some school clothes
(1 hour later)
Son: what do you think dad?
Dad: I think were going back to the mall snoop droopy drawers

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 pm

My mom was a USAF Captain and both her and myself strongly disagree with the "not part of the mission" thing. People may forget about our aircraft's capabilities or think of us as weak. Basically, it sends a message to our enemies that says: "Come and get me! Our civilians think of us as pansies and out demos are failing to pull in new recruits.........." Every time I see those guys, I want to join. The more troops and personnel we have, the better. Defense comes in the form of fear. They won't attack if they know we can wipe them off the face of the earth. Just my two cents. News is, TBs have already cancelled all their shows for the rest of the year.
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Yes it is official that the Thunderbirds will not be performing any shows, flyovers, etc. for the rest of the year UNLESS the government ends the sequester and money can be put into the team again. The Blue Angels have NOT cancelled ALL of their shows for the year but have cancelled up to April and will cancel May and so on if the situation continues. They have reported that they will wait until the last minute to cancel in case the situation can be fixed.

This basically means that the T-birds are done for 2013. However, if the government comes up with a solution, the Blue Angels can possibly fly whatever they have left in their schedules. This would mean that if the sequester ended now, the Blue Angels would fly all their shows (that haven't cancelled themselves of course) from May on through the end of the year.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 am

This is why we have you around. I didn't know any of that.
"Powerpoint Ranger"

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:03 am

It's amazing how much money goes into flying those birds. Kinda like the old saying that you don't realize how much something is worth until you don't have it anymore. ;)
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:13 am

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 am

Honey Badger wrote:My mom was a USAF Captain and both her and myself strongly disagree with the "not part of the mission" thing. People may forget about our aircraft's capabilities or think of us as weak.
I cannot agree more. The Malaysian public's view of our country's air force (and other defence forces, for that matter) wasnever strong, more so if it's been politicized frequently(oh dear). But the Lahad Datu intrusion that happened last month showed what our F/A-18D Hornets are capable of. And of course, our biennial LIMA event helped to polish my country's image.
Honey Badger wrote:Basically, it sends a message to our enemies that says: "Come and get me! Our civilians think of us as pansies and out demos are failing to pull in new recruits.........." Every time I see those guys, I want to join. The more troops and personnel we have, the better. Defense comes in the form of fear. They won't attack if they know we can wipe them off the face of the earth. Just my two cents.
Not to mention the demonstration of quality. I mean, what better way to demonstrate discipline and perfection by fling in neat and precise formations, each plane executing their timed maneuvers perfectly. As a resident of a country who just had LIMA recently, it must be disappointing to hear your premier aerobatic teams are facing cancellation. Let's just hope the economy will improve (which I doubt so),
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

It may send that message, but the USAF has cut training fligth hours by 45000 hours. Basically any bird that isn't deployed, or needed for training is being grounded. the T-birds just don't physically contribute to homeland defense as much as 8 actual F-16 fighter bombers. Hense the cut.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq

Post by Honey Badger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 am

Yup. I didn't learn that until after my above posts. Hopefully we'll get some money back into the military soon to keep our troops from getting bored and lazy.
"Powerpoint Ranger"

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by VNAF ONE » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:36 pm

By the way, earlier this week, the US Navy Blue Angels announced the cancellation of the rest of the season. Neither team will be flying. Also, I've been seeing various articles and such that the Air Force is shifting A-10's to new squadrons, retiring some, and grounding at least a dozen squadrons.

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 am

Anyone going to be in Louisville this Saturday for Thunder? Would love to drop by and say hi.

I'll be talkin' the 'Stang and an akro act - so listen for the familiar voice! :D

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

dustydan1995
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: MX2

Post by dustydan1995 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 pm

I found out from my dad that a friend of his has a family member in the Thunderbirds this year and he can't fly at airshows. :evil:
"I wouldn't want God as my copilot because he'd be too good." "That mans swerving." "Where?" "Three minutes from now!" "Ahhh!" - Brad stine

Son: I am going to got buy some school clothes
(1 hour later)
Son: what do you think dad?
Dad: I think were going back to the mall snoop droopy drawers