Pan Am Lives On?

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Pan Am Lives On?

Post by Zack » Sat May 24, 2014 4:10 pm

So i was walking on the side walk next to the train tracks when i spotted this:

what does this mean?!

David
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Grob G109B Vigilant

Re: Pan Am Lives On?

Post by David » Sat May 24, 2014 4:24 pm

It surprised me when I found out they run a flight training academy. They do FAA and EASA simulator type ratings with a large range of aircraft , cabin crew and ATC training. The airlines long gone but it's glad to know they're still around in the aviation scene!

About the train picture, I'm guessing they run a rail freight division. I don't really understand trains/railways though. The picture though has intrigued me too GIZMOs

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan » Sat May 24, 2014 4:44 pm

There hae been four Pan Ams since the original went under back in '91. All attempts to resurrect the airline failed but now there's a new Eastern Airlines in the works. It will be a charter carrier:

Source: ATW Online

Let's hope it succeeds, it too has plenty of established charter competition in the Miami market.
Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
ATRP: When used in my posts refers to "Air Traffic Replay Project"
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
My general rant: I will call them blended winglets, not Sharklets; There is no CEO, it's just simply put, an Airbus 319/320/321, or the 320NEO, 321NEO etc. I didn't land IN DAL, I landed AT DAL. On the other hand, I did land in Dallas.
-----------------------
Website GRID updated for 2019. New stuff in the works!
Turbofan's Terminal

Hi! I make average, undesirable, boring grey maps for YS Flight!

jetskit
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: 757 - 200,787,a319,a320

Post by jetskit » Sat May 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Im glad someone brought this up, some of my friends in ys will know this but, i once had a little obsession with pan am lol. so much of an obsession that i was willing to spend a lot of money on some pan am merchandise lol. I done some research on pan am and found out about the train company, ill give you a little bit of information on how the name and logo came about...
Pan Am Railways, Inc. (PAR), known as Guilford Rail System (GRS) before March 2006, is a holding company that owns and operates Class II regional railroads covering northern New England from Mattawamkeag, Maine, to Rotterdam Junction, New York. The primary subsidiaries of Pan Am Railways are Boston and Maine Corporation (reporting mark BM), Maine Central Railroad Company (reporting mark MEC), Portland Terminal Company (reporting mark PTM), and Springfield Terminal Railway Company (reporting mark ST); BM and MEC are operated under lease by ST.

Pan Am Railways is headquartered in Iron Horse Park in North Billerica, Massachusetts.[1][2] It is a subsidiary of Portsmouth, New Hampshire-based Pan Am Systems, formerly known as Guilford Transportation Industries (GTI). Guilford bought the name, colors and logo of Pan American World Airways in 1998.
"Aviation was not an industry nor a science. It was a love."|YS ATCO|PAVA CEO|

ZyreaxGaming_YT
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: mc-21 (Commercial), A-7 (Military), Co50 (Private)

Post by ZyreaxGaming_YT » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Guilford bought out the names and logos of the airline after they went bankrupt. They actually tried to revive the airway with a few 727's out of KPSM (Portsmouth, NH) known as Pan Am Clipper Connection. It didn't do very well.
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction. ~ John F. Kennedy