Last passenger MD-11 retired

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Last passenger MD-11 retired

Post by Turbofan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:55 pm

It didn't have a glorious history like many other recently retired aircraft but it was a big hit with aviation enthusiasts (myself included).

KLM retired last MD-11

I've been lucky to fly in this aircraft twice. The first time was back in 1996 when Delta had a small hub at IAD (yes, IAD). I was flying to the U.S. from BOM via FRA and ATL. There it was at the gate with a company MD-11 at the neighbouring gate going to IAD. I still remember seeing this huge aircraft from Terminal 2 at FRA for the first time and noticed with great curiosity those large winglets, the #2 engine staring right at me (the gates in T2 at FRA are located on the fourth level so you get a view looking down on the ramp). Once inside I noticed the nearly-flat walls, the high ceiling and ubiquitous center section of 5 seats in economy and thought to myself "well, I'm glad I'm not in the middle seat", haha. I had a window of course, right above the leading edge of the wing! Everything about the plane looked huge - the wing, the engine, the winglet. Quite the stance! It was a great flight, and we had a soft bump at touchdown at ATL, characteristic of the MD-11 I would later learn.

The second flight was six years later, in 2002. As it would turn out, I was definitely in time for this second MD-11 flight with Delta because it would retire all remaining MD-11s from service by the end of 2003. Another lucky thing - my mom and I got a free upgrade to Business Elite, in the MD-11. It was a real treat for me. By this time, Delta had switched all Mumbai ops to its Paris CDG hub (in accordance with the Skyteam alliance). This time I got an even better view and boy, was it a powerful takeoff from BOM. We landed (again) with the characteristic MD-11 bounce at CDG, followed by full reverse thrust on an 8,858 foot runway (26L). It was also the last MD-11 to be in Delta's original livery.
Last edited by Turbofan on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi! I make average, undesirable, boring grey maps for YS Flight!

Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
Turbofan's Terminal updated! New information on home page and WIP for 2020! Check it out!

Av8Tor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 737

Re: Last passenger MD-11 retired

Post by Av8Tor » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:58 pm

I always thought the MD-11 was under appreciated. Such a beautiful plane. I just don't think the air frame is very... efficient? There doesn't seem to me to be a use for 3 engines, especially when two engines gets the job done just as efficiently.

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:37 am

^True. I agree with the writer in that its timing was wrong and came in just as twin-jet technology (ETOPS) was gaining steam, thus negating the need for a third engine in that class of aircraft.
Hi! I make average, undesirable, boring grey maps for YS Flight!

Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
Turbofan's Terminal updated! New information on home page and WIP for 2020! Check it out!

Blackhawk11223344
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: AH-64

Post by Blackhawk11223344 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:23 pm

He said it was never loved. Bu- Bu- But I loved it. :( Oh well, There are better planes out there. Sad this plane will be missed.
Always go by all rumors are false, rather than true. As if you take them as if they are true you can end up worse than what you started.

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Goodnight sweet prince...
May your service to mankind be remembered always...

[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)