How did your love for aviation start?

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
UAL777LHR
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 777

How did your love for aviation start?

Post by UAL777LHR » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:04 am

My parents, and a majority of my family members worked in the commercial aviation industry. I could remember spending my early days as a youth in airports watching the planes :)

I guess I was born loving aviation. I'll make sure my kids have the same passion for aviation as I do :)

SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Re: How did your love for aviation start?

Post by SvenPhantom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:25 am

My Grand-father makes RC Balsa airplanes, so it started it. I found books about WWII fighters and the SR-71 Blackbird. Though somehow my interest dropped for a few years, then I heard about the Harrier and the F-117, and it was love again. And then I looked for some free Flight sims and found YSFlight.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.

tigershark
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: uk & germany fighter

Post by tigershark » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 am

my aviation start when i was 4 or 5 years old and my dad got me in to aviation also he take me to airshow when i was about 1 years old and in 2009 i found ysflight and never gone of it

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:33 am

Air force brat. Seeing that many planes as a kid was great.

Kynan

Post by Kynan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:56 am

Ysflight started it for me. Just on a boring night, googled free flight simulator. Bam

Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:27 pm

1) When I was four I was given a small die-cast model (about 1/144 scale) of the SEPECAT Jaguar. Nothing spectacular about it, it's a typical 70s die-cast toy, not the more realistic models that you find these days. However the one unusual feature of this model is that the major control surfaces - ailerons, elevators and rudder - were cut away and replaced with soft plastic parts that were movable. Dad was not related to aviation (nor was anyone that we knew) - he's a high school math and physics teacher - but he did understand what those are and briefly explained that by moving these surfaces, they deflect the airflow of an aircraft in flight, thus pushing the various part of the aircraft around in order to pitch , roll, etc. T'hat was my first lesson in all things aeronautical. I spend many hours flying around our apartment while manually moving those control surfaces on my little metal Jaguar to mimic controlled flight.

2) A year later we moved into a bigger apartment unit - lil sis was about to grow from baby to toddler stage and so we will be needing more room. The room that I had faced north with a clear view to Checkerboard Hill and the terminal of Kai Tak. And for many years afterward I get to spend lots of time watching aircraft coming in and out of Kai Tak while I was at my desk doing my homework (or rather, day dreaming and not doing homework :P )

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Early on I was actually quite anxious about flying, the reason being I was a kid and would read all sorts of stuff about aircraft accidents in the newspapers and such. Then came the first flight where I was old enough to look out of the window and actually see what was happening. The airport was Mumbai International, the airline was Air India, the aircraft was a Boeing 747-200 with the good old PW JT 9-Ds, and to a kid, the "thing" down there on the ramp looked gigantic, even from looking at it from the third floor of the terminal. Then came the flight experience, marvelling at the spacious cabin, fairly roomy (back then anyway) seats, and a look out the window at the enormous wing. Not to mention those huge trailing edge flaps. Of course my fear of flying came back right before takeoff, but we flew just fine to our next stop-LHR. The LHR of the early 90's was something to behold-747s everywhere you looked, with the occasional DC 10, L 1011 and 767. In between mixed feelings of fear and excitement, I remember looking out at 747s of many airlines, and that would carry over to the next stop-JFK. I didn't know an airport could have so many aircraft all at once. My fondest recollections of JFK are of the various liveries at the old Terminal 4, as well as New York Airways and the multitude of TWA 747-100s and -200s. I also remember being stuck in the infamous JFK international rush hour queue, waiting for our turn while watching heavy after heavy blast off into the sky, and the roar of engines vibrating the cabin and windows! In between trips my curiosity level of commercial aviation started growing, and I would read books on commercial airliners, showing the early-era widebodies like the DC 10, L 1011 and of course, the classic 747s. I grew a passion for jetlners, and seeing a shot of Amsterdam Schiphol for the first time in an aviation encyclopedia was simply engaging. It's been an avid subject of mine since those early days. I've flown in over 20 different models and variants of aircraft, experienced numerous world hubs and many different airlines, from TWA to Delta to ones like the former Air Sahara of India. And I still love flying even today.
Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
ATRP: When used in my posts refers to "Air Traffic Replay Project"
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
My general rant: I will call them blended winglets, not Sharklets; There is no CEO, it's just simply put, an Airbus 319/320/321, or the 320NEO, 321NEO etc. I didn't land IN DAL, I landed AT DAL. On the other hand, I did land in Dallas.
-----------------------
Website GRID updated for 2019. New stuff in the works!
Turbofan's Terminal

Hi! I make average, undesirable, boring grey maps for YS Flight!

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I liked watching planes, but my love started with fiction. When I was 5 I saw Thunderbirds. Fell in love with Thunderbirds 1 and Two.

Silly I know, but Air and Spacecraft have been great for me since.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Phoenix its no sillier than falling in love with flight through your dreams.
That is how it happened with me my recurring dreams of flying like a bird with out a plane just me and the air rushing past my face and body adjusting my flight path by shifting an arm or leg or just by tilting my head to where I wanted to go.These where my earliest memory's of flight as a young boy I mean like 5 or 6.
I am not like most who are in love with the tools of flight I am in love with flying itself that is what got me to volunteer for Jump training in the Corps
the closest I have ever been to truly free flight.I kept going higher by volunteering for HALO training and HAHO.
I love flying airplanes true but only as a tool to get in the air.
Believe me when I say that if it where not for that abrupt stop at the end I would just shed my chute and go flying but my desire is to fly not die.
Me being grounded is like a sentence in purgatory and that is not overstated I assure you.
Well made enough of a fool of myself on this post.

Seraphim
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire

Post by Seraphim » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 pm

It's a little hard to mark the start but I was surrounded by aviation lovers for such a long time that it seemed to rub off. My dad went to flight school for a while, my mom liked airplanes, and my brother Bombcat was crazy about them. Naturally we always used to go to all these air museums and I thought the planes were really pretty. Then, I would find Bomb's airplane books lying around and would read them when I was bored and he'd talk about them all the time. I found out when I was in those "tween" years that this enabled me to impress the local boys (most of whom where from military families) with my knowledge of aviation. So there was an incentive to find out more about them when I was in those annoying brat years. So through that aviation and I had an ill-defined but positive relationship.

When I really became taken with aircraft though was when I went to my first airshow. We chased tomcats and the blue angels around town all through the practice days and endured constant downpours to see the planes that did their thing despite a washed out airshow. Seeing them in action right in front of me and hearing their engines roar was probably one of the most exhilarating experiences I'd known. I became just plain giddy about them and thought they had this great romance to them. Reading some books about great heroic stories of aviation and watching classic movies like Battle of Britain helped my romantic notions along. I looked forward to ogling planes at airshows and museums and was ecstatic when I finally got to take a ride in a plane-I think you all know how magical that was. I got a big die-cast Spitfire Mk. IX and displayed it in a place of honor in my room (it is my precious and keeps my lucky bamboo plant safe). Now, however it happened, I'm a nutcase who always shouts and points when an airplane passes overhead and wishes I could be up there enjoying a ride through the sky.
ImageImage

CharleyHotel

Post by CharleyHotel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Went to the Reno Air Races every year since I was little :D

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 pm

I loved anything that young boys love, it starts with things like lorries, cars, buses, trains, planes, tanks etc. Then as you get older and your social awareness starts to develop and you start to only love the cool things so I finished with fast cars, planes, tanks and other military machines. Red Arrows helps, Harrier helps and a farther working in defence industry helps. Live close to Imperial War Museum Duxford (air museum), and getting close to those beautiful aircraft and learning their history was what I fell in love with. History, heritage, design, and sheer awesomeness.

This aircraft was the one that hooked me.
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:53 pm

When I was young I used to love trains. I spent a lot of time at my grandma's house which sat right next to a busy freight line. One day when I was on my way to go fishing with my grandfather, we passed near the airport's flight path and I saw how big and how loud the airplanes were there. I then became fascinated with these big, loud monsters in the air and started collecting die-cast models of anything that I had seen before (I still have a whole shoebox full of these). Back in 2004, my love was sealed when my uncle brought me to the Indianapolis Air Show at Mt. Comfort Airport to see the Blue Angels. Before I got to see them, I witnessed as my first live military jet, the USMC AV-8B Harrier II. Three of them. Having the best seats at the centerpoint right in front of them, these were the loudest aircraft I've ever heard to date. The Blue Angels sealed my dream to become one of them, a pilot in the US Military and ultimately, to perform at airshows in front of children who are just like me.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Spaceships I see when in a K hole

Post by Welshy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:20 am

I have always loved the military...And i moved schools in year 5 (now year 11) to a school right under a deignated military training zone...we used to get everything F/A-18s, Tornados etc...and when I moved school to a school again in the middle of nowhere. I get Eurofighters, F-15s etc as we are near Malven and people in the know know that there is a radar firm there whom test there radar against all different planes and helo...

Nick
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant

If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Seraphim
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphim » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 pm

vandal wrote: This aircraft was the one that hooked me.
The Harrier was my first favorite airplane too :D but the USMC one
ImageImage

Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

Post by Iceman » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:20 pm

4 words:
Aces Over The Pacific

Anyone born after 1994 cannot appreciate this.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Spaceships I see when in a K hole

Post by Welshy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:18 am

Seraphim wrote:
vandal wrote: This aircraft was the one that hooked me.
The Harrier was my first favorite airplane too :D but the USMC one
Ohhhhhhhhhh.........

Copycat :P :D
We make the good tech and the Americans take from it ie:
F-111 used lots of TSR2 tech
Harrier (Enough Said)
We are better as we had Concored (but no one likes the French where I'm from but me :P)

NICk
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant

If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Seraphim
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphim » Sun May 01, 2011 1:33 am

F-14, F-18, need I say more? We make the damn good tech-but yours is good too and pretty. I like British planes because they're very pretty and I have a thing for aesthetics.
ImageImage

Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat » Mon May 02, 2011 2:27 am

Hmm. I know I've been a big fan of aviation since I was ten or so, although I'm not even sure exactly why. The idea of a titanium and steel machine larger then a school bus throwing itself through the air is something quite impressive, and even now, I can't help but stare in amazement when I see an aircraft flying overhead. My greatest affection has always rested with naval fighters - the Hellcat, the Corsair, the Crusader, and the Tomcat and now, if grudgingly, the all-seeing, all-doing Super Bug. About when I was in fourth grade, all my friends were more or less into airplanes, and the Tomcat was the king. It had to be the coolest - it was the one which had wings that could sweep out. I'd grab a toy tomcat, and flick my wrist to get the wings to pop out like a switchblade. Top Gun didn't hurt any either.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.

Falcon_1

Post by Falcon_1 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:41 am

How did my love for aviation start? I live underneath 3 military flight paths. One from Selfridge ANGB, another from Grayling ANGB and the last one from Kellogg ANGB. They are always flying KC-135's, C-17's C-130's F-16's and A-10's at super low altitudes. I also live underneath a heavy commuter route into Detroit-Metro and Oakland Int'l. I guess I was pretty much raised by aircraft all my life :D
If you Don't like me, just say so :lol: