[simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
Sierra
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A car

Re: [simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Post by Sierra »

Blaze WarDog016 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 pm Would us Windows users be able to play this? Or is it Linux only?
Look at the previous post. Or better yet, read the whole thread...
bbosen
Favorite Aircraft: P38L

Re: [simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Post by bbosen »

It's been more than a year since I updated the status of Linux Air Combat in this thread. The development is now stable, and LAC is beginning to appear in official and semi-official LINUX repositories. In addition, we now publish it as an "AppImage".

This results in a precompiled, executable binary program that launches Linux Air Combat from a self-contained, self-extracting, multi-file archive containing all prerequisites and resource files. It is configured according to the well-known "AppImage" conventions for (almost) universal compatibility among many popular LINUX distros using industry-standard "x86" architecture. Accordingly, if you just want to run LAC without compiling it, this is probably your best, simplest option. Just download it, mark it as "executable" according to well-known LINUX norms, and then execute it. If your hardware is based on x86 architecture and if your LINUX distro is "mainstream" and has been updated within about a year, it will start right up!

You can learn more about this and access a direct download link here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxaircomba ... appimages/
jsu2
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by jsu2 »

I got linux just to play this lmao. Don't know if you remember me, was the one trying to run a vm or emulator just to run this haha.
bbosen
Favorite Aircraft: P38L

Post by bbosen »

Hi jsu2 Thanks for responding. I think I DO remember you. Are you also a fan of ysflight? It was very influential in my development of Linux Air Combat.

Have you tried LAC's new AppImage distribution? We're on the SECOND version of that now. Our first attempt had a bug that interfered with calculation of terrain altitudes unless an older version of LAC had already been installed LOL.

; )
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

bbosen wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:01 pm It's been more than a year since I updated the status of Linux Air Combat in this thread. The development is now stable, and LAC is beginning to appear in official and semi-official LINUX repositories. In addition, we now publish it as an "AppImage".

You can learn more about this and access a direct download link here: https://sourceforge.net/p/linuxaircomba ... appimages/
Great! Happy to see such a LAC development progress, keep it going!

Thank you for bringing project status news ;)

As "feature reqeust" I may just ask for maybe some further work on improving cockpit/instrument panel look to be more modern.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)