[simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

[simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Post by u2fly »

Linux Air Combat - opensource flight simulator project currently in development by AskMisterWizard.com team, that use PC with Linux OS.
--
Project page:
http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMov ... llPage.htm
--
Controlls (planned)
--
All videos with tests published on YouTube channel
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1IY ... 75_u3v14tU
--
Latest test video here!
Last edited by u2fly on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35

Re: [simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Post by ksh »

Ysflight forever! ;)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Re: [simulator] LINUX AIR COMBAT - new opensource flight simulator in development

Post by u2fly »

ksh wrote:Ysflight forever! ;)
I hope, sometime YSFlight would be opensource too

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Few days ago I try contact with "Linux Air Combat" developers, and now have an answers from him. Surprised, that him also is YSFlight fan!
Bob Bosen wrote: 29.03.2016, 23:31
Re: Linux Air Combat
Hello u2fly, and welcome to our little LAC community!

I'm very pleased that you have discovered our efforts to develop and publish Linux Air Combat.

I to am a fan of ysflight and I have been hosting a ysflight server for years. It has definitely influenced my thinking as I have developed Linux Air Combat.

The current version of Linux Air Combat uses the venerable ".3ds" format for aircraft models, which makes it fairly easy to publish and/or retrieve free models.

I do not support the specific ysflight format at this time, but I would certainly welcome any help importing ysflight format files into the .3ds format that I am using.

Please extend my welcome to any of your friends that may have interest.

I am updating my web site every couple of weeks with development news. I hope development will continue to accelerate and will permit me to publish test source code within the next few weeks. The early versions will still be rather primitive, but additional planes, missions, planes, missions, terrains, and features can (and will) be added as time goes on....

-Bob Bosen-
As Bob say, they host YSFlight server
Bob Bosen wrote:16 Oct 2014
TechVideoReview.com is now hosting two different versions of the free YsFlight server.
Both of our YsFlight servers are absolutely free for anybody to join. About 20 hours each day, 6 days/ week, we can be found hosting one of the two.
Details here - http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMov ... llPage.htm

(31 DEC 2016)
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Linux Air Combat developers wrote:11Apr2016
Now undergoing extensive beta testing in our development laboratories and via free Internet download, this high-performance flight simulator already supports all of the basics demanded by today's flight sim users, including all of these features:
  • A growing list of World War II aircraft including the P51, P38, A6M2, and B17.
  • A theoretical Jet fighter with performance similar to the General Dynamics F16 Industry-standard "Air Warrior" style viewsystem is easily configurable for other view options Low-Speed Stalls High-Speed Compressibility High-G Blackouts and Redouts
  • Realistic high-altitude degredation of engine performance
  • Fuel consumption is proportional to engine load including WEP/ Afterburner effects
  • Simulated RADAR to help locate opponents
  • Simulated IFF to help Identify Friend verses Foe Guns combat Missile combat Flares and Chaff operable as missile countermeasures
  • 44 flight/view functions can be mapped to any detected joystick axis, button, or keyboard key
  • Very smooth, high-performance graphics yield high frame rates even on modest computer hardware
  • Free flight mission
  • Four tutorial missions with detailed audio narration to help beginners get a quick start
  • Seven Offline combat missions
  • Online "Head to Head" mission suitable for air racing or combat (2 players only at present, but working on improvements)
  • Random terrain generation option for limitless terrain variety
  • Free and open source distribution
  • User-loadable graphic aircraft models support the venerable, well-known ".3ds" format
  • User-loadable background music, sound effects, and narration files support industry-standard ".wav" format
  • In active development and subject to frequent improvements at the time of this writing in April of 2016
Development is proceeding rapidly, and we are now testing beta version 2.01, supporting the Lockheed P38 "Lightning", the North American P51 "Mustang", the Mitsubishi A6M2 "Zero", the Boeing B17 "Flying Fortress" and a theoretical jet fighter aircraft. Beautiful terrains feature seascapes and mountainous areas. Look for the link below to download your own copy.

New as of 05Apr2016! LINUX AIR COMBAT can now be downloaded!(binary and sources in one archive)
http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMov ... tar.tar.gz

Details about dependencies and install instruction here:
Who would try it now? ;-)

(31 DEC 2016)
Deleted User 2433

Post by Deleted User 2433 »

u2fly wrote:
ksh wrote:Ysflight forever! ;)
I hope, sometime YSFlight would be opensource too
only problem with open source is Flightgear did that and a company came in and pirated it under the name Pro Flight Simulator, and they are making a fortune off of it. i'd hate to see that happen to YS.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Swift wrote: only problem with open source is Flightgear did that and a company came in and pirated it under the name Pro Flight Simulator, and they are making a fortune off of it. i'd hate to see that happen to YS.
And what? FlightGear steal is active opensource project and very popular in whole world.

One time Blender was proprietary software and not very known, but later it converted to opensource... Now, thanks to this fact we can use Blender for creating planes for YSFlight.

Think, you dont fully understand difference between OpenSource, Freeware and Libre software.

Thanks to opensource I can use PC without proprietary Windows, that always have viruses. (steal remember when always keep Autorun.inf virus when put my USB-stick in any Windows PC)
Also, thanks Linux now my OS (PuppyLinux) have only near 200 Mb, and I no need search 20Gb of diskspace for "clean" Win7 install.
--
Artwork: https://openclipart.org/detail/234832/p ... o-with-tux

(31 DEC 2016)
bbosen
Favorite Aircraft: P38L

Post by bbosen »

Hello everybody. I am the author of LINUX AIR COMBAT and I just discovered this discussion. Thanks for helping me with some exposure here. I have long been a fan of ysflight and the development of LINUX AIR COMBAT was heavily influenced by ysflight.

Many thanks to those that posted summaries of my original announcement. Since that time I have some news:

1- I have released a newer version (and I expect to do this frequently). The newest version will always be ready for download from here:

2- I have learned that the binary executable version of LINUX AIR COMBAT posted on the main website works on some LINUX distributions, but it does NOT work on others (including Linux Mint and Ubuntu). I apologize if it didn't work for you. In that case, you will need to compile your own version from the published source code.

3- The newest published, downloadable version is very easy to compile from source code, and I have published detailed descriptions of the process and a YouTube playlist showing EXACTLY how I did it yesterday (21Apr2016) on a brand new installation of Linux Mint. The YouTube video clips show the process that can be used to compile LINUX AIR COMBAT easily on almost any popular desktop Linux distro.

By reading other messages on this forum, I have learned that ysflight aircraft developers use "Blender" to create or edit their 3d aircraft models. I also use Blender to edit the 3d aircraft models used in LINUX AIR COMBAT. However, I am not very good at Blender and I don't know how to use it to edit a ysflight aircraft model. Can somebody help me with that?

I hope to make LINUX AIR COMBAT friendly to the ysflight community, and in the future, perhaps I can write a server that can intermingle ysflight network protocols with those of LINUX AIR COMBAT so that [perhaps] both communities could fly together. That is definitely a long-term goal and not something to be expected this year, but maybe in the future.

If you have questions about LINUX AIR COMBAT, I am willing to try to answer them here, but since this forum is about ysflight, it may be more appropriate to carry the deeper questions into another forum. I would like to use YouTube comments for this, so if you have a question that isn't really appropriate to a discussion of both ysflight and LINUX AIR COMBAT, please consider commenting on YouTube, associating your comments with whichever of the numerous YouTube videos covers the associated subject.

Check Six!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

@bbosen, wellcome!
So, I will try help you
bbosen wrote:However, I am not very good at Blender and I don't know how to use it to edit a ysflight aircraft model. Can somebody help me with that?
For this read this viewtopic.php?t=7852
and this viewtopic.php?t=8408

(31 DEC 2016)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

Linux Air Combat ver.3.42 RELEASED!
bbosen wrote:Linux Air Combat V3.42 New Features
Linux Air Combat is a new combat flight simulator for LINUX. As of this writing in January of 2017, it is in Beta Test and is available for free download.
--
DETAILS & DOWNLOADS - http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMov ... llPage.htm
--
This brief video clip shows some of the improvements that have been implemented since December of 2016, including important new network management, voice communications, and playability features that make it a lot easier to participate and have fun in online, multiplayer missions.

(31 DEC 2016)
bbosen

Post by bbosen »

LINUX AIR COMBAT update July2017

Hi! It's been about a year since I updated news about my "LINUX AIR COMBAT". The published version has advanced to beta test V4.16, which is far more stable, and far more portable. It now supports three different multiplayer, online missions, each supporting as many as ten players. Twenty WW2 aircraft are now supported, and interplayer voice communication has now been nicely integrated. A free server is available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. The community of players is very small, however, and I hope more people will join in the fun.

This is a free, open-source project, and it is VERY easy to compile on virtually every popular desktop LINUX distro. New versions with increasingly advanced features are released almost every month. Precompiled binaries for current 64-bit Ubuntu and PcLinuxOs are available from the main LAC website (see below)

My experience with ysflight was very important in the decisions I made as I have developed Linux Air Combat. Thank you ysflight!

Here's a link to the Linux Air Combat web page with download and other details:

bbosen

Post by bbosen »

Current version: 4.16, released for beta testing Jun2017

LINUX AIR COMBAT is a free, open-source combat flight simulator developed by AskMisterWizard.com for the LINUX community. Its roots came from the well-known "classic" flight game known as "GL-117", but this new incarnation has been extensively re-written and improved.

LINUX AIR COMBAT is also known as "LAC".

Update June 2017

Now undergoing final beta testing in our development laboratories and via free Internet download, this high-performance flight simulator already supports all of the basics demanded by today's flight sim users, including all of these features:
  • Free and open source distribution. The clean source code compiles without modification on major LINUX distros.
    Very smooth, simple, high-performance graphics yield high frame rates even on modest computer hardware
    44 flight/view functions can be mapped to any detected joystick axis, button, or keyboard key
    A growing list of World War II aircraft (now 20 different flyable aircraft)
    A theoretical Jet fighter with performance similar to the General Dynamics F16
    Industry-standard "Air Warrior" style viewsystem is easily configurable for other view options
    Low-Speed Stalls
    High-Speed Compressibility
    High-G Blackouts and Redouts
    Realistic high-altitude degredation of engine performance
    Fuel consumption is proportional to engine load including WEP/Afterburner effects
    Simulated RADAR to help locate opponents
    Simulated IFF to help Identify Friend verses Foe
    Guns combat
    Missile combat
    Flares and Chaff operable as missile countermeasures
    Free flight mission
    Four tutorial missions with detailed audio narration to help beginners get a quick start
    Five Offline combat missions
    Online "Head to Head" mission suitable for air racing or combat (2 players only. No server required.)
    Free, high performance Linux Air Combat Server is now available at LacServer2.LinuxAirCombat.com
    Ten-player Internet mission in Pacific island terrain with strategic airfield capture goals (requires access to Linux Air Combat Server)
    Ten-player, free-form Internet mission in desert terrain (requires access to Linux Air Combat Server)
    Ten-player, free-form Internet mission in island terrain (requires access to Linux Air Combat Server)
    User-loadable graphic aircraft models support the venerable, well-known ".3ds" format
    User-loadable background music, sound effects, and narration files support industry-standard ".wav" format
    "Talking Cockpit" can verbalize target location so you can hear it without diverting your eyes
    Innovative "Network Router Panel" on cockpit shows network telemetry and comms data from other players
    Best-of-breed network user management with interplayer status messages on the cockpit panel
    Powerful integration with "Mumble" for world-class voice communication between players
    Dedicated Mumble server manages a rich heirarchy of voice radio channels and online help
    16 Comms-related functions can be mapped to any keyboard key
    In active development and subject to frequent improvements
    Airfields with defensive guns challenge nearby opponents and protect nearby allied aircraft
    Bombers have autogunners that take shots at nearby hostile fighters
MrFunnybone
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: UFO

Post by MrFunnybone »

This is a bit offtopic but are you the same guy who ran that WW2 ysflight server called "Bosenet" or something like that? That was actually one of the first servers I ever played on, like 7 or 8 years ago.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by u2fly »

MrFunnybone wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:56 pm This is a bit offtopic but are you the same guy who ran that WW2 ysflight server called "Bosenet" or something like that? That was actually one of the first servers I ever played on, like 7 or 8 years ago.

(31 DEC 2016)
bbosen

Post by bbosen »

Hi MrFunnybone! Sorry it took me so long to answer.... been helping clean up flooded homes in and around Houoston, Texas.

Yes, I remember you. Yes, I host all of my servers on BoseNet, and my ysflight server is still there, still featuring WW2 aircraft. I remember getting shot down by you, and I returned the favor LOL!

-Bob-
fikrikawakibi
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Zephyr HAPS, ScanEagle, Citation X+, A340, 成都 歼-20

Post by fikrikawakibi »

can it run on windows?
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

I'm just going to point out that it is called LINUX Air Combat
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
bbosen

Post by bbosen »

Sorry, Linux Air Combat has not been compiled for Windows. But fortunately for you Windows users, there are many other, fine flight sims that you can use. With LAC, I am trying to help LINUX users enjoy the kinds of flight sims that have been readily available to Windows users for many years.

I haven't updated this discussion in almost a year, and I apologize for that.

LAC has now advanced beyond the design/coding phase to its first "stable" release, which I have enumerated as "Linux Air Combat V5.64". It now supports more than 50 historic aircraft from World War II, and all of the flight models are much improved. Here is a new screenshot:

and here is a link to a comprehensive video review on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wKwgjddHqm

I want to acknowledge the big influence that ysflight and the ysflight community have had on the development of Linux Air Combat. Thanks for your attention!
Deleted User 3212

Post by Deleted User 3212 »

Would us Windows users be able to play this? Or is it Linux only?