United Airlines: What is their Major Malfunction!?

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

United Airlines: What is their Major Malfunction!?

Post by Nodoka Hanamura » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/07/0 ... moval.html

Since discussion seems dead as a doornail here, I thought I'd bring this to the table. I'm genuinely wondering, what in god's green earth is wrong with the idiots at United, that they make headlines several times in the past two years. From letting a Rabbit and dog die from incompetence in placement on the plane they were on to doctors needing to get to patients, being DRAGGED OFF THE AIRPLANE BY AIR MARSHALS AND STAFF, They either are braindead jackarses or are vying to beat Electronic Arts for Worst Company of the Year.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Yes, GrunSol is still around, Yes, I'm Still alive. Any other Questions?

Sierra
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: A car

Re: United Airlines: What is their Major Malfunction!?

Post by Sierra » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:23 pm

To be completely fair, the incident with Dr. David Dao wasn't entirely United's fault. Overbooking a flight isn't only a United thing, it's fairly common to sell more seats on a flight than are available, since it's also fairly common that people miss their flights for one reason or another.

Oh, but why, oh why did they have to drag the man off the plane? Why a doctor, who has to care for people the next day?

Firstly, lets understand a simple concept called "Ask, Tell, Make." First, you ask someone to do something in a kind manner. Pretty straightforward, and this usually leads to favourable results on all sides. However, sometimes asking seems to give people the illusion of choice, so you will have to escalate to the next step: tell. You tell the person to do something, accompanied with a warning of what could happen next. Refusing at this stage is an active act of defiance, which leaves you with only one option: make. You make the person do that thing, regardless of what their opinion is. This would be akin to your phone provider cutting off your service, medical personnel using physical/chemical restraints, or law enforcement dragging you out of your seat. It's ugly, but people tend to get themselves into that situation.

Ask.
UA initially asked for volunteers to give up their seats, as UA had employees that had to take that flight. Sure, that's a bit selfish on the airline's part, but you also have to keep in mind that you have to help yourself before you can help others. Had those people not taken that flight, more flights may have been delayed.
Obviously, there were no volunteers.

Tell.
Congrats, Dr. Dao. You drew the short stick, regardless of however many years of med school and residency you had to suffer through. UA told him that he had to get off the flight, and he refused. Keep in mind, this is not on public property, Dr. Dao was sitting in a privately owned and operated E170, but lets just pretend that it's a building for the time being. Refusing to leave private property after being asked to is called trespassing, which, believe it or not, is illegal. This is where the threat of calling law enforcement comes in, as Dr. Dao is now actively resisting their requests/demands.

Make.
Law enforcement is on the plane now, and Dr. Dao still isn't willingly getting off the plane. This is when you make him get off the plane, which may require a bit of hands-on ugliness. From what I saw in the video, their use of force wasn't unreasonable, and the injuries sustained by Dr. Dao may be the result of an accident. Yes, they were trying to pull him out of his seat, but he had his leg hooked under an armrest, keeping him stuck in his seat. An officer took care of that, while other officers were still pulling on Dr. Dao. Oops, they pulled too hard, and now his face is part of the floor. No, they did not beat the man like you would have imagined, he just got a quick, albeit painful physics lesson. As for him being dragged off like he was... well, what else could they have done in a cramped space like that? Granted, I would have liked to see him be evaluated by EMS, and potentially see some C-Spine immobilization, but I have personally seen firefighters do worse things than what the officers did.

Had Dr. Dao not been so stubborn, and argued his case in the terminal, this never would have happened. I'm sure the airline would have figured something out for him, especially if this was a true medical emergency even though he just had to mess around in a clinic the next day.

tl;dr, United isn't as shit as you think it is, they've just had a bad year.

Now, discuss.

Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Re: United Airlines: What is their Major Malfunction!?

Post by Nodoka Hanamura » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:48 pm

I wasn't aware that it wasn't as much of an emergency as the media made it out to be. As for the ATM protocol, I have nothing against it, but I wasn't alerted to the fact he actively refused, even though it wasn't a actual emergency that required him to be on that flight. Passengers should have complied, and, hell - If the airline offered me cash compensation along with a free ticket for the next available flight, I'd take it, as I recall was offered on one over-booked flight.

As for Overbooking, If I was managing an Airline, I would fill the seats to the best of my ability and that'd be it. if a flight was full, I wouldn't accept requests for seats unless one was made available through a cancellation. Overbooking obviously makes for more problems then it solves. I can understand wanting to maximize profit, but the margin of loss in these situations doesn't really constitute a major loss except in cases where a lot of missed flights occured, but even then, that's on the customer because they missed their flight.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Yes, GrunSol is still around, Yes, I'm Still alive. Any other Questions?