Dragons Quiery

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Dragons Quiery

Post by Welshy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Dragon029 wrote:This is sorta off topic seeing as I'm not posting a video or commenting on anyone elses, but I've just been asked whether I'd like to become a YouTube Partner and get some ads going. I know I'd be getting jack-all, but I think it'd still be a decent thing to have.
Anyone else know about starting a Google Adsense account though? Does it cost anything to start up or verify or whatever?
Please respond to this as normal as I wanted to get a discussion going so posted it here :P

----------------

Personally I think it is a good idea. Google Adsense Doesn't cost a penny and can be good extra revenue........I think you do need to be 18 though but don't quote me on that.

Good luck with making money....

Nick
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Re: Dragons Quiery

Post by Dragon029 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 am

I'll be 18 in 10 or 11 weeks, so that'll solve that issue - I also managed to find out the answer to my question (had to go to pages with the same name as the one I was directed to :roll: ); the costs mentioned are simply revenue requirements before payment - so on top of the $100 minimum initial revenue, I'll likely also have to raise something like $120 for bank account verification, etc.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:31 am

My Step Dad never did have to verify his bank account??? It may be an Aussie thing....

Nick
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 pm

This page here has info on the threshold you'll be required to reach before you can get paid.

Bank account verification may cost money that you'll have to get via revenue.

All in all I may have to earn $180 before I get anything, which will take a while (ad clicks typically give you a couple of cents per click).
If I get 2 cents per click and 1/100 people click an ad and yeah, then I'll have to raise over 900,000 views in order to reach the threshold.

I've been trying to think up some types of videos that would work:

The work must not contain copywrited sound or video (not sure if YSF would count actually) and it has to be getting enough views in quickly enough to work.
In other words, something interesting (exciting, funny, odd, etc) that I've filmed myself or that I own the rights to.

I'll definitely be doing more paintball videos, but that won't be enough. I've always wanted to get into RC aircraft - doing a video diary of me making a scratchbuilt could prove popular. I could do military aviation news (this will be difficult though as many aviation photos are copywrited), or I could do science, maths, etc tutorials (you'd be surprised how popular they can be if you do them in an entertaining way - stop motion is an easy way of doing this.)
For gaining publicity I have various websites and forums with large audiences I could reach. Posting a link to a decent video typically scores it a few hundred views in a matter of minutes. I uploaded one video when a particular theme was popular and it gained about 800 views in about 5 minutes before YouTube removed it (it was a TF2 remix of that kid picking up and slamming that bully to the ground).

At the moment though I only have one extra video that should be revenue-earning capable.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)