Any recommendations for a flight sim that will not turn your computer into Chernobyl Reactor No.4?

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Ruskiwaffle1991
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Too many to name :)
Location: Philippines, Earth, Sol System, random arm thing of the Milky Way, random supercluster, Universe

Any recommendations for a flight sim that will not turn your computer into Chernobyl Reactor No.4?

Post by Ruskiwaffle1991 »

Make sure that it will run on devices with RAM below 4GB RAM since I have 3.9 GB usable and below 1.8 GHz. I can't afford a new PC and I have to make use of my cr@p laptop from my mother.
Never ask a man his salary,
A (i completely forgot)
A Me 262 pilot, how many times his plane's engines caught on fire.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Re: Any recommendations for a flight sim that will not turn your computer into Chernobyl Reactor No.4?

Post by u2fly »

Ruskiwaffle1991 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:11 am run on devices with RAM below 4GB RAM since I have 3.9 GB usable and below 1.8 GHz
I has a same configuration and YSFLight versions 20120701 & 20181124 works normally for me under Linux (version 20150425 is less usable on Linux)

Just use YSFlight OpenGL1 (not D3D or OpenGL2) executable try disable "clouds" in YSFlight graphics configuration settings.
P.S. Otherwise try "ACM" — very lightweight free & open-source flightsim:

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

Re: Any recommendations for a flight sim that will not turn your computer into Chernobyl Reactor No.4?

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

It's not free, but FS2004 is pretty good at running on weak comps. I could run it on a 2010 laptop with 2 GB total RAM.

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present
Ruskiwaffle1991
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Too many to name :)
Location: Philippines, Earth, Sol System, random arm thing of the Milky Way, random supercluster, Universe

Post by Ruskiwaffle1991 »

@u2fly ACM looks complicated to download and I am good to go with YS. Also there is a website where you could download IL-2 1946 with a few mods.
Never ask a man his salary,
A (i completely forgot)
A Me 262 pilot, how many times his plane's engines caught on fire.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

If you have 4 GB of memory and only .1GB of memory is being used for graphics (I'm assuming you are using the integrated graphics from your CPU), that might be a problem.

In my experience, Windows 10 barely works with 4 GB if any updates are going on in the background. Maybe check the task manager and see what's using your memory and stop it?