Weather in your area 2021

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Re: Weather in your area 2021

Post by Turbofan »

So we've been getting some off-and-on showers and storms the past few days, had more of the same today.

That is until about 9:00 or so tonight, when a pretty bad hailstorm went right through the city. We lucked out bigtime with some quartersize hail that came in for about 10 seconds or so (counting our blessings for sure). It was a completely different story beginning about a mile or so north of where I am; golfball, tennis ball and some baseball size hail hammered a large portion of the city causing extensive damage. Adding to that were winds around 70-80 mph.

Windows blown out in a large part of the city in homes, business and cars, hail repair season just got added to this year in our part of the world.

Hoping for a quieter rest of Spring, but the peak of severe weather season is right around the corner. Nothing too bad showing up in the near term though, thankfully.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Bell 412, AW139

Post by Bear »

Out camping this weekend. Wind last night was gusting to 40-50 knots, luckily the tent is set up between some trees and in a slight depression, so no damage other than not getting much sleep. Also intermittent light rain last night. Today is clear and a million, and between the wind, sun, and light reflected off the water, I’m a little sunburnt, but boy did I need this. Tomorrow’s party cloudy, but that’s fine. Right now I’m looking at some wispy cirrus in the flight levels and a little breeze. Not looking forward to getting back to school, but whatever. I’m definitely coming back here.
Hover lover.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

We had a really bad storm come through early this morning. Trees are down, power is out, schools closed, and at least 1 dead in my county, possibly right down the road from me, since fire and rescue squads came rolling in.

It was a year ago yesterday that a similar storm came through our area.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

Neocon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 am We had a really bad storm come through early this morning. Trees are down, power is out, schools closed, and at least 1 dead in my county, possibly right down the road from me, since fire and rescue squads came rolling in.

It was a year ago yesterday that a similar storm came through our area.
I hope you're alright! Stay safe!
Hover lover.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Take a look at the SPC Storm Reports map for yesterday.

Same complex of storms that formed late last night in SE OK, then moved into AR, then your area in TN Pat. Numerous wind damage reports from TN as well. If you go down the first list of storm reports to the "Wind" section, starting at about 805 UTC (all times are UTC times so UTC - 6 since you're in the central time zone), lots of reports coming out of the NW corner of TN. Tiptonville, Union city and other points with wind damage reports.

Glad you're ok, I hope there's no damage or anything at your place. Stay safe!

Another round of storms expected today but mainly further south and east of your area it looks like.

SPC Day 1 Outlook
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Our tree guy (it happens often enough my dad has him on speed dial) is cutting trees now.
The person who died was right down the road, we can see their trailer park from our driveway.
My friend who lives near Union City posted pictures of trees down on her neighbor's house.
There is also a gas leak and a crew is working on that down the road from us.
The guy on the radio says it was suspected to be a tornado, but that hasn't been confirmed. There were tornados all around the area from Texas up to the northeast last night and this morning, from what I've heard.
I'm on my phone, since no power or landline service.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Dang, yeah those must have been 70 mph winds at least, likely higher. Hate to hear about any loss of life.

So far there have been no confirmed tornadoes in ARK and TN. If there were any you can bet that report map will be updated, SPC's usually on the ball when it comes to these things. That's a preliminary map as well so it will be updated based on more information/data.

Shaping up to be an active May, more severe weather chances in the plains beginning this weekend.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

I'm looking at a severe t-storm WATCH at the moment, and I see some pretty gnarly cells heading my way. Should be a while, but we'll see how it plays out. Hopefully it moves on, because in the past 10 years, a town very nearby that's situated in a bit of a valley, and it's flooded twice in storms that not only delivered high rates of precipitation, but it pretty much stopped overhead and just kept dumping water. The river got really high and the situation for that town is just awful. Downhill, there's a river which is good, but it can get backed up, which is bad. Uphill, there's been a lot of development and all the parking lots that would normally be water-absorbing dirt are now pavement that generates runoff that can literally create a wall of water running downhill. I'm up on a hill a good way above all this, but I get worried for the people in said town every time severe storms are afoot.
Hover lover.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

More storms came blowing through yesterday evening into the early part of last night. After being hot all day, we went to bed with our windows open to try to get a little air in the house. When the rain stopped, the wind picked up. I woke up at about 4 AM and it was in the low 60s F and about 56°F outside, so I closed the back window and grabbed a blanket.

Workers from another county came out today and got the power lines back up and most of the area was back on. Apparently one wire wasn't connected just right because some of us were still out. Some guys just showed up and waved a pole around the connections of some of the electric lines and our lights came on.

I still have not heard if it was officially confirmed to be a tornado or just strong winds.
Bear wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:02 pmI'm looking at a severe t-storm WATCH at the moment, and I see some pretty gnarly cells heading my way.
Did you make it through ok?
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

Neocon wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:13 am
Bear wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:02 pmI'm looking at a severe t-storm WATCH at the moment, and I see some pretty gnarly cells heading my way.
Did you make it through ok?
Yep! We actually got almost nothing, the worst of it went by to the South (might’ve been North but it doesn’t matter), so my prediction of where the storm was going was incorrect.
Hover lover.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

So yeah, quite the cool punch of air from the Northern Plains/Canada this past weekend, resulting in highs in the mid 50s with rain yesterday, and mid-60s today. Quite a bit below average for this time of year, though that will start changing with a warming trend tomorrow.

Storm chances return this weekend with some severe weather possible.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Spring has returned to the Southern Plains. Already had some severe weather in the High Plains to our west, expecting more today as a moderate risk has been issued for northwest Texas.

SPC May 17, 2021 Day 1 Outlook

Anyway, for us it's going to be the rain. Already over two inches has fallen yesterday and lots more is expected this week as several rounds of precip comes through the area, NWS has issued a flood watch here. Things will definitely be getting greener so no complaints; though wish some of this could fall out west where they really need it.
Last edited by Turbofan on Mon May 17, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

Not weather per se, but the Brood X cicadas are emerging! This'll be an interesting several weeks.
Hover lover.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

The swarm that showed up 5 years ago made a horrible noise for about 2-3 months.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

Apparently this one can hit 80-100 decibels...
Hover lover.
AviationMAX
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 737 MAX 10

Post by AviationMAX »

Had 11 inches in like 3 days or less here in Seattle in February. That was our big snow event. Today we had some convection going on which produced a lot of hail and even a few lightning strikes! Not much other than that. Just had a gorgeous, if not hot, week, with temps getting into the low 70s. Happily awaiting our Seattle drizzle this week.
"Allons-y!"
-10th Doctor
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

Severe T-Storm watch in effect till 22:00 EDT for me. No warnings yet except for one earlier this afternoon, but I have a feeling that one may be issued later on… As I’m writing this, I’m waiting for a storm with a decent bit of lightning and very, very ominous clouds to clear. Radar tells a similar tale, with a line of fairly severe storms stretching quite some way. The worst is headed to the north of my location. Summer is finally here!
Hover lover.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Our turn is tomorrow... expecting a rather stout squall line coming through with hail and damaging winds unfortunately. We've been in an unusual pattern for this time of year the past week or so;

Unusual for this time of year where I am = either great weather with lots of sun, or unsettled and rainy, but no severe weather. In this case, it was the latter.

But it May return tomorrow. Ok that was lame.. you get the idea though.
Last edited by Turbofan on Sun May 30, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

It’s been rainy and cool the last few days- mid-50s or so. Tomorrow’s supposed to be mid-70s, though.
Hover lover.
Bear
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bear »

Had some thunderstorms last night. In my area it was more bark than bite, just a few brief downpours and wind, a good bit of lightning. Northwest of me, however, an EF-1 tornado touched down and did some damage. No reported fatalities, I don’t recall if there were injuries. No damage here.
Hover lover.