Weather in your area 2021

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: Weather in your area 2021

Post by Neocon »

On Tuesday I was able to get my garden tilled and some squash and cucumber seeds planted. It rained a little bit here on Wednesday, but I heard there were storms east of here. It looks like storms will be moving back in over the next few days.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

So some years we do have a secondary severe weather season in the fall, but this incoming system today is something we'd see more typically in the Spring. Could be interesting this evening.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlo ... 0_prt.html

EDIT: 8:50 p.m. CDT:

A line of storms, with one potent supercell, blew through our area. The supercell was warned for a tornado though thankfully nothing was on the ground (this was after dark). We did get some hail, not quite but almost ping pong ball size and winds 50-60 mph. Mostly though it was quarters and lower.

Unfortunately another round of severe weather is expected on Tuesday; indications are the heavy-duty stuff will be to our north and northwest. Fingers crossed.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

So yesterday, the second of two systems forecast to produce severe weather this week started impacting the area; two heavy-duty supercells produced multiple tornadoes and unfortunately did cause some damage. One tornado hit the town of Clinton, another more powerful tornado hit southwestern OK.

Early this morning, a solid squall line with spin-up tornadoes on the leading edge put one down in the metro just after 5:00 a.m. this morning.

Luckily, no casualties have been reported. Secondary severe weather season getting wild this week for sure.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Turbofan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:22 amLuckily, no casualties have been reported.
That's good to hear.

Yesterday in northwest TN, it was actually a cool day. Mid 70s in the late afternoon. It got warmer today in the sunshine with little or no wind. The forecast shows mid 80s tomorrow, but rain on Friday will cool things down into the 60s.
sameer123
Favorite Aircraft: a340

Post by sameer123 »

Summer has ended here in kashmir
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Another day, another round of severe weather. Early this morning a broken line of storms moved through. Only one of these was a supercell that produced 70-80 mph winds and upto golf ball size hail; this was up in the city though, not where I am.

But I think in general, we're done with the severe stuff, could use some quiet days, which are in fact ahead.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

I guess I spoke too soon :lol:. Had more severe weather on Tuesday this week, no hail thankfully, and luckily an EF-1 tornado missed us by about 3 miles. Nothing like tornado sirens going off at 12:30 in the morning though to get your senses on full.

Now on the back side of that system (now over MO/AR), getting NW winds 40-45 mph with higher gusts. We'll take this over an ice storm though, which we were dealing with this time last year and produced widespread outages.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Quite the "Indian Summer" in the middle of meteorological winter this week. Highs in the mid-upper 70s tomorow and Friday. No complaints from this person :).

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

We're currently waiting for a line of storms to come through my area. It sounds like it could be bad. Tornado watches and warnings are already being produced. I deflated my inflatable decorations to keep the wind from carrying them away. A few days ago it was really cold, today it was in the 70s. The lows will return to the low side by Sunday night.
Attachments
weather 20211210.png
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

Update
I'm on my phone. The power is out. Tornados were all around, but we are fine in our neighborhood. I'm not sure what damage is around my area. I know Mayfield, KY was hit hard.

Second update
Our power is back on. I'm starting to see pictures from town and they are not good. A tornado went right through the middle of it and several other towns in the area. The wind was never even that hard.
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

We were worried we might have lost you for a little while there!

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Yeah, same, was a bit concerned with the weather headed your way. Glad you're safe there Pat. Those were some nasty storms last night. You mentioned a tornado went through town last night, hope everyone's ok. I saw the photos and video of Mayfield, KY., that was really bad. The tornado that hit that city was on the ground apparently for almost three hours (at least most of its path - we'll know more when NWS Paducah/other offices do the surveys and release the results).
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

Turbofan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:51 pm The tornado that hit that city was on the ground apparently for almost three hours (at least most of its path - we'll know more when NWS Paducah/other offices do the surveys and release the results).
It may or may not have just broken the 1925 Tri-State tornado's record for the longest distance ever traveled by a single tornado... and considering that one holds the record for the highest death count of any tornado in US history, that's not a great sign.

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Yeah that's nuts. With the advanced warnings we have now fairly sure the toll will be nowhere near as high as the Tri-State but still plenty bad.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

There was a "Quad-state" tornado that started in Arkansas, ran through the bootheel of Missouri, the northwest corner of Tennessee, and into Kentucky that took out Mayfield. A seperate tornado came through Gibson, Weakley, and Henry counties in northwest Tennessee.

The tornado that hit my town went right through our court square. The courthouse is sturdy enough that it was undamaged while the buildings right across the street were leveled. It looked like some of the houses in that area were damaged badly. The main damage from that tornado is about 1 1/2-2 miles north of where I live. We had some wind at my house, but not that strong. If we had not been watching the weather we would not have known it was happening.

I haven't found any news sources about my area, other than a Facebook post by the local newspaper, the office of which was destroyed last night. News Article

I saw two helicopters, they looked like some variant of Blackhawk, fly in and it looked like they were going in to land in town, this afternoon. It was the governor touring the damage.
dbd000
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: So long as it isn't fictional, I like it

Post by dbd000 »

Neocon wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:33 am The tornado that hit my town went right through our court square. The courthouse is sturdy enough that it was undamaged while the buildings right across the street were leveled. It looked like some of the houses in that area were damaged badly. The main damage from that tornado is about 1 1/2-2 miles north of where I live. We had some wind at my house, but not that strong. If we had not been watching the weather we would not have known it was happening.
I was following this outbreak with a bunch of friends from the meteorology community including YT streamer N8 Snyder, as soon as I saw PDS tornado warning for Dresden my heart sank. Such a relief to know that you and your family are ok.

On another note, the tornado that directly impacted the city of Mayfield, KY at a few points had delta velocities of 307mph and a 2.5mi wide debris signature, with debris being lofted as high as FL300
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

My Internet went down this morning, so I'm on my phone. I heard today that the town hardware store's sign was found about 30 miles away in Kentucky. School is closed tomorrow.

It's been cooler and sunny today. Good VFR weather for the small aircraft flying over the dage, I guess.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

One of the warmest Christmas temps in these parts in some time. This is making some people a bit unhappy but no complaints here.